Dave_Lee

Re: £100 an hour
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 07:29:50 pm »
Ian,
I think you will find that most CCs will treat a Stain with the appropriatte spotter during the normal course of carpet cleaning, in the hope that it may remove or improve it. As for more specific time consuming attempts at removal of a Stain, I for one would charge extra, I wouldnt spend a lot of time on one during the normal course of cleaning a carpet.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 08:37:18 pm »
bedroom approx 12ft x 18ft
had to charge £300
Actual cleaning took less than 15 mins.

There's something that concerns me with examples like this
1) They probably could have got a new carpet for that price
2) When you buy a new carpet do they slap a huge surcharge on the shop price because it's on the 4th floor?
3) At the end of the day the customer pays (in their mind) for 15 minutes work...£300 :-X
4) I maintain even £100/hour is obscene for cleaning, even if it is carpet cleaning, even if it is an expensive truckmount outfit.
5) What other occupations are charging customers £100/hours?

Neil Grainger

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 08:41:21 pm »
Neil

Dave only works for people that pay alot for their carpets so you can guarantee that it cost alot more than £300.00.

spindle

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 08:42:26 pm »
lawyers/solicitor wanted £50-£75 PER HOUR
when i looked in to it bout 2 yrs ago
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

Neil Grainger

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 08:48:51 pm »
Sorry dont agree their Neil, £100 whilst you are cleaning needs to be the price you aim for, its only when you take into account the traveling that it will bring it below £100.

Dont always get it all Year round but in the summer when its busy always try to earn that money whilst I am cleaning.

Why do some think that cleaning is not worth that sort of money, your cleaning other peoples crap up, most of the people that will pay that wont do it for themselves & expect to have to pay a premium for it.

spindle

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 08:54:39 pm »
oh and my car mechanic/dentist charges loads............. ;D ;D

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 09:05:05 pm »
Mechanics: I was a mechanic in the army which was a 2 year condensed course with further courses over the years. In civy street it's a 5 year apprenticeship. The costs of tools and equipment is far more than a truckmount.
Solicitors: 'A' level minimum with most having built up a £25k debt thank to the university degree they need.
Carpet cleaners: Fill this bit in yourself and compare

spindle

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 09:11:50 pm »
and your point is??

you asked who else charges £100 ph............

just answering the question with a light hearted comment no need to be so defensive.........just because you were a mechanic.......

cost off  van and t/m 20/30k + training +chems+acessories+ anything else i may have missed.........

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 09:18:02 pm »
I'm not being defensive just realistic  ;)

spindle

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 09:26:07 pm »
seriously.......

how much can a mechanic earn p.a net.

mine charges 160 for a full service......oh and dont forget vat

well i pay him cash.......so never pay the vat.
but 160  cash for 2 hours work cant be that bad.........

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 09:35:34 pm »
Full service?
So there's the purchase of probably £100 of parts, oils, filters etc
Labour charges for mechanics vary between £50 (independant) and £80 (dealer) per hour.

carpet guy

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 10:45:34 pm »
Getting silly again

Mechanics work from fitted out premises, which not only cost a great deal to fit out, but have commercial rates, water expenses, constant renewals. They have also done mandatory training to qualify over a period of at least two years and been tested for competence.

On average,  a mechanic is paid around £12 an hour to fix your neglected, damaged, manky vehicles

You all, I'm sure have a fair idea of the sacrifice that goes into training for Law or Dentistry, with no earnings for three or four years and they end up earning less than a cleaner !

It's all a bit farcical to assume a cleaner is worth as much as anyone who practices medicine, or law, or is closely monitored and has to comply with more legislation each year.

The story of the individual carpet, four floors up taking 3 hours and charged out at £300 is as crazy as it gets

It could have been done in a third of the time by someone going in prepared and priced accordingly. I'm afraid this is really a case of some one being ripped of and there can be no reasonable argument.

I know Dave has a number of fans and for good reason, but anyone can do the same training and buy the same products, none of it's new.

Sure you must charge prices which will give you reasonable earnings, but what's wrong with putting in an honest days labour, like the rest of the world at reasonable rates, which can be  regarded as value for money, by clients.

Little point in going on as there is no definitive hourly rate for the various works involved, but everyone who aspires to running their own business or wants to get the most from it could do worse than learn about .

Effective Marketing
Cost Control
Time Management
Added Value, etc.

liahona

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 11:14:32 pm »
Rob, you are quite correct in no definitive rate for anything really.  But to defend myself, not that I need to as its only you that would appear is happy we work for very little but anyway.   

The carpet had a value of £6000 so to clean it for £300 is considerably less of a charge than someone charging say 40 or 50p a foot for a carpet worth maybe £720 for the same size.

I was allowed into the property unsupervised.

Trusted to look after the clients "nick naks" as they needed moving.

Trusted to not rip them off with my charge which £300 clearly isnt.

Trusted not to damage the pathway from the first door to the room needing the clean.

If I had charged or anyone else would have charged a £100 which you think is fair, then I nor they would have got the job. 

Portable, not acceptable

Anything dry, not acceptable

What I do and did, acceptable.

Have a go at me because you cant cope with what I do, fine.  Please dont suggest I rip off anyone when clearly and again you have no idea what you are talking about.

Best, Dave

P.S.  I choose to do what I do for a living.

As does a mechanic, also his choice.  So why do we care what they or anyone else charges. 

Andy Foster

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 12:05:23 am »
Well said Dave.

The price you can charge is directly related to the value to the customer.
If you charge £300 to clean a £6k carpet you are effectively saving the customer £5700 on a new carpet.
Whether it takes you a day or an hour to do the job, the value placed on your service is well worth the price.

I do some insurance work on the pressure washing side of my business and I have done jobs where the cost of replacing or repairing the areas by any other means is in the thousands.
On one job, there was flourescent paint thrown up the side of a house, the builder they asked said it couldn't be cleaned and he would have to replace the bricks and repoint etc - cost £4500
I said I would clean it for £500 and they understandably snapped my hand off.

I did the job and they were very happy - time taken 45 minutes.  Rip them off... I don't think so; I did the job they wanted at the price they were more than happy to pay and saved them £4k.

Never had such a profitable hour of my life before or since that day, but I did not lose any sleep over the price I charged them.

I now pay kids to throw paint onto houses -  ;) ;) ;)

Never confuse cost with worth.

The Great One

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008, 07:53:38 am »
Getting silly again

Mechanics work from fitted out premises, which not only cost a great deal to fit out, but have commercial rates, water expenses, constant renewals. They have also done mandatory training to qualify over a period of at least two years and been tested for competence.

On average,  a mechanic is paid around £12 an hour to fix your neglected, damaged, manky vehicles

You all, I'm sure have a fair idea of the sacrifice that goes into training for Law or Dentistry, with no earnings for three or four years and they end up earning less than a cleaner !

It's all a bit farcical to assume a cleaner is worth as much as anyone who practices medicine, or law, or is closely monitored and has to comply with more legislation each year.

The story of the individual carpet, four floors up taking 3 hours and charged out at £300 is as crazy as it gets

It could have been done in a third of the time by someone going in prepared and priced accordingly. I'm afraid this is really a case of some one being ripped of and there can be no reasonable argument.

I know Dave has a number of fans and for good reason, but anyone can do the same training and buy the same products, none of it's new.

Sure you must charge prices which will give you reasonable earnings, but what's wrong with putting in an honest days labour, like the rest of the world at reasonable rates, which can be  regarded as value for money, by clients.

Little point in going on as there is no definitive hourly rate for the various works involved, but everyone who aspires to running their own business or wants to get the most from it could do worse than learn about .

Effective Marketing
Cost Control
Time Management
Added Value, etc.

I would have to disagree with the comment about cleaners not being worth as much as the other professions.

Yes our training time is very little in comparison but without cleaners they would have to close all the hospitals, surgeries, etc as they would not comply with H&S. Cleaners although considered the low end by some of the public are actually the people that allow others to have the facilities they have.

Regards

Martin 8)

carpet guy

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2008, 09:11:23 am »
I, am Mr Average...........You, are a carpet cleaner

I can not extract or carry out remedial work on my teeth
so I go to a qualified dentist

I can not present accounts to satisfy Inland Revenue
so I pay a qualified accountant

I can not repair my gas boiler
so I get a corgi registered plumber  and so on.

I can very easily clean my carpets by either hiring or purchasing a machine it would cost me about £50 to hire a machine with adequate product to do the entire house.
so I can save anything between £50 and £400    I don't need you !

The concept of 10% of value, is all very well, but if a carpet cost £1000 three years ago and takes 15 minutes to clean, the client is not going to consider " the perceived value of the service " they are going to consider whether £100 for a 15 minute job is " value for money " The client will balance this charge against their earnings, or other services charges, to decide what represents " value ".

The fact that you have a cost to get to the location is of no relevance to the client, everyone else has similar costs, but the electrician who spent an hour fixing a fault, the technician who fixed the washing machine ( both jobs Mr Average can't do safely ) only charged £50 and they have workshops to pay for.

If you overcharge you are only shooting yourself in the foot and you will find more difficulty getting getting work.

Charge a reasonable and fair rate and you will be as busy as you want to be.

There seems to be a growing number of jokers who only want to work part time but get paid as much as they would for full time working. Those people are the real con merchants, they try to justify themselves and their high charges, but in reality THEY ARE  RIP OFF MERCHANTS.

I AM NOT AND NEVER HAVE SUGGESTED CARPET CLEANERS SHOULD WORK FOR PEANUTS, but there is some absolute nonsense being written.

If you are unable to make a decent living from charges which return you a net profit of £20 - £40 an hour you are not running an efficient business and simply bumping up your prices will not help you.

Even at £20 an hour (Net) and working like the rest of the world, five days a week eight hours a day, you will earn twice as much as the average tradesman.
I reckon 90% of carpet cleaners in this country would be ecstatic to be taking home in the region of £800 per week after expenses.

Boasting about big earnings for little effort does nothing for tha morale of the majority who are out there each day grafting.

What they want to hear is, how to get the best from their equipment, techniques that will speed up their cleaning time without compromising quality, effective ways to get and retain clients.

Just to clarify something

I have never charged bottom end prices although I started with low prices. I have always charged around the middle of the pricing table, but have always had high productivety which means my hourly rate would exceed that of people who charged at higher rates and took a lot longer. Current charges are giving a gross hourly rate of £50 - £75, depending on the type of work.

Monkey / Peanuts.............don't think so. 

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 09:55:24 am »
I was telling my mate abot Dave the other day.

My mate owns a High End wooden flooring company does work for Stars such as Elton J ;Dohn etc.

His vision of Dave was uniformed quiet unobstrusive comes and goes and you would not notice he had been there apart om the clean carpet ;D ;D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2008, 10:05:11 am »
For Clarrification

I am refering to work from the time you arrive to do clean to the time you leave.

For me to acheive £100 I would need to charge £100 plus for a bog standard 12X12

It could be I need to adjust to £66 an hour as it takes longer to set a portable up on such jobs and do not have such high overheads as say Dave Lee  ( Depreciation on EQUIPMENT  OVER A 4 YEAR PERIOD) 

Neil Grainger

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2008, 10:27:21 am »
Guys

Carpet Cleaning is what I do to bring the money in, But I am also a business owner who deals with contracts, Health and Safty issues, marketing and Finance.

Those that are just carpets cleaners and think that £100 is to much should wake up and smell the roses. It needs to be around that to make it worthwhile.

You own a business, Carpet Cleaning is what you do to bring the money in but without the other stuff you would not be able to do the cleaning.

I have a portable and Monday to wednesday will bring me in £1500 this week probably for less than 15 hrs cleaning time, Never had 3 days at the start of the month like it. £100 is out their, you just need to work behind the scene's to get it.

Not every Job works out at £100 per hour but if I did not reach it that often whats the point of doing this. Do i rip them off no, do they come back yes, what are they buying, ME!

Lawyers that only earn £75 are not very good, around here you are looking at £200 plus an hr.

gwrightson

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2008, 01:12:52 pm »
paying top money for any service , whether it be c/c  decorating ,house cleaning gardening and even shopping does not mean to say that the hired person is ripping them off,
quite simply some people will pay whatever the price is, and if it is 20 times more than the norm so what!!! They want the best and are happy to pay it.

I could give you figures you would not believe for services and jobs undertaken for somebody not too far from me. they want the best, they get the best........ why ? they can afford it , it is irrelevant to this type of person what things cost.

an example.  £3,000 to plant a tree yes £3,000 and that is not for the price of the tree and with 200 trees been planted along a private road its a nice tidy sum :o

the same person spends £500 to have the cars valeted   ,£500 per car that is.

so money is not in question to some people, so Dave,s prices , imo are not a rip off nor extortionate.

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha