John Kelly

£10 a carpet
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:51:17 pm »
The £10 a carpet lot up here have the legend on their website:
"Too many cleaning companies are charging inflated prices simply because they can get away with it. We wanted to offer a great clean at a very affordable price and make carpet and upholstery cleaning available to everyone."

Then go on to say "We only use top of the range professional cleaning equipment and products from Extracta Products based in Gateshead.

More information can be found here http://www.extracta.co.uk/exel.html

All of our technicians are equipped with the Extracta Excel cleaning machine which uses a hot water rinse extraction cleaning system."

Had a customer today who also uses an Extracta Exel who has now had 2 of his customers complain once they have seen his machine as he was setting up that he is charging too much and cancelled the jobs. Not a happy bunny and was heading off to Extracta to see what the hell was going on. Is even contemplating changing his machine.

garry22

Re: £10 a carpet
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:43:06 pm »
Crikey John,

They are offering franchises at £ 11,000 !

I wonder how long it takes to get your money back at a tenner a pop?

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:52:15 pm »
Its minimum of 3 carpets plus so much for each stain. They book jobs in certain areas on certain days so they are doing all their work there with no additional travelling. So if a customer rings up to book they can only have it done on that specific day they dictate take it or leave it. Its clever marketing as the guys says the £10 is just a foot in the door. Personally I don't think its sustainable but they may prove me wrong.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 05:01:11 pm »
I would advertise, "If you want a £10 job get a £10 man, if you want a really professional clean then call Tel "
You could go even further by putting "how much did that carpet cost? if it was the cheapest carpet in the shop then call the cheapest carpet cleaner, if it is your pride and joy then call Tel, professional cleaning doesn't have to be expensive it is infact affordable if done correctly WILL make your carpet look and feel like new again"

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:02:21 pm »
True that john with the foot in the door.

Maybe its going to be some new marketing tool for most companys now in the future..

A hell of a lot of work even with 10 pound a carpet mind.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:34:26 pm »
Let'em get on with it. We all know you can't build a successful busines either with super low prices or bait and switch tactics and I think the buying public are aware of all these gimmicks so the only people likely to go with them are people who don't want to pay proper prices for a professional job.

Simon

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:09:40 pm »
Sounds like a classic bait and switch operation.

God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 06:26:07 pm »
Changing the subject a little, the Exel has 2 x 7.4" vac motors nowadays in portables are 5.7" wonder how much difference there is in vacuum power?

Shaun

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:38:36 pm »
They refuse to move furniture as well! Only traffic areas are cleaned.

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 07:07:09 pm »
Who are they?, are they something like enterprise cleaning and their £8.99 gimmick. Surprised Extracta would allow their name to be associated with that type of thing.

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:12:59 pm »
Blyth, Northumberland

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 07:20:33 pm »
Who are they?, are they something like enterprise cleaning and their £8.99 gimmick.

Welcome to our world >:(
This sounds too much like enterprise but now with the backing of a manufacturer.

Colin Day

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 07:22:26 pm »
Who are they?, are they something like enterprise cleaning and their £8.99 gimmick. Surprised Extracta would allow their name to be associated with that type of thing.

I very much doubt John and Brian would allow there name to be associated with such an outfit....

John Kelly

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 07:25:26 pm »
Don't think they're too happy about it.

Adam P

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 10:40:17 pm »
what can extracta do about it? the business is simply stating that this is the machine they use, wouldn't have thought they could stop that. besides it's not like it's going to harm extracta if one company uses their machine as it'll more likely be the service which put the customer off, and also no customer will buy a machine any way.

John Kelly

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 10:48:40 pm »
If you read my first post I said a local guy who uses an Extracta lost 2 jobs. This guy has been going 20 years and is fuming. He's always been Extracta but is now wanting to see other machines as he is so peed off. I don't think this is good for there business.

robert meldrum

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 11:10:40 pm »
We've got an outfit up here in the West of Scotland charging £38 for three carpets and using a T/M.
They also operate in, or are associated to, another company doing the same thing in Sheffield

Their vans are new and wrapped so they've put out a fair amount to start up.

With such an outlay they will have to clean an awful lot of carpets just to pay their overhead.

Adam P

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:22 am »
ah just re read it now and got it. don't sound like too good of customers though if they went because a cheaper company uses the same machine and claim it to be top of the range

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 07:37:12 am »
Its minimum of 3 carpets plus so much for each stain. They book jobs in certain areas on certain days so they are doing all their work there with no additional travelling. So if a customer rings up to book they can only have it done on that specific day they dictate take it or leave it. Its clever marketing as the guys says the £10 is just a foot in the door. Personally I don't think its sustainable but they may prove me wrong.

In that case the two small  carpets I looked at last night will cost £300 to clean

Regarding naming machine they are contracting that carpet cleaners in a lot of bait and switch warning leaflets say these companies use a vax etc 

Steve Gunn

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 07:44:13 am »
Any decent customer knows your not going to get much for £10 and the ones that want £10 cleaning are not the customers we want,may have to start advertising my top of the range chemspec t/m