Colin Day

Re: £100 for Cash?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 08:10:16 am »
This morning I had to park in a horrible little street with double yellow lines, set up extra lengths of hose to snake it's way to a cottage set way back from the street. The rain was pouring and I was drenched (I've had to come home for a fresh change of uniform I was that wet!) . I did the bathroom (amongst other rooms) with a hand tool as it was so tiny and managed to get all but one stain out.

Although I'd used defoamer I was having problems thanks to the occupant's liberal use of 1001 on a stain and all in all, one of the worst jobs I've done in a long time.

The customer said she was delighted that I'd done such a good job as I wrote her ticket out for £110, gave her a free bottle of promo spot and stain remover (RRP £9.95) then she says... "£100 for cash?"

All I can say is, I walked away with £110 ;D Some customers really know how to take the "P"!

No, your the fool in reality. You will pay 22% income tax on that £110 cheque - (£24.20), so you will bank £85.80 after tax. If you would have taken the £100 cash you would be £14.20 better off and have the readys in your pocket. ::)

Matt

Read the post again "Properly" Matt.... I'd written the receipt/ticket out ::)

wynne jones

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 09:18:46 am »
This morning I had to park in a horrible little street with double yellow lines, set up extra lengths of hose to snake it's way to a cottage set way back from the street. The rain was pouring and I was drenched (I've had to come home for a fresh change of uniform I was that wet!) . I did the bathroom (amongst other rooms) with a hand tool as it was so tiny and managed to get all but one stain out.

Although I'd used defoamer I was having problems thanks to the occupant's liberal use of 1001 on a stain and all in all, one of the worst jobs I've done in a long time.

The customer said she was delighted that I'd done such a good job as I wrote her ticket out for £110, gave her a free bottle of promo spot and stain remover (RRP £9.95) then she says... "£100 for cash?"

All I can say is, I walked away with £110 ;D Some customers really know how to take the "P"!

No, your the fool in reality. You will pay 22% income tax on that £110 cheque - (£24.20), so you will bank £85.80 after tax. If you would have taken the £100 cash you would be £14.20 better off and have the readys in your pocket. ::)

Matt

The fools will be laughing when the tax man knocks on YOUR door!
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Colin Day

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 12:20:54 pm »
 ;D

Peter_Jones

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 07:04:28 pm »
What different worlds we live in, in the last 6 years I have never taken a cheque from a single domestic job, nor have I been offered one!

Matt Lindus

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 11:52:16 pm »

Matt

Read the post again "Properly" Matt.... I'd written the receipt/ticket out ::)

Yes but you should have ditched the ticket you had wrote out and pocketed the £100 cash. Yes it's naughty, but nice.

Matt

Adam P

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 05:32:38 pm »
as joe said, if you're going to cheat tax man why wouldn't you cheat your customers? not something you want to start doing as you also run the risk of going too far with it and getting carried away, one cash payment once in a while is ok but if you're going to do it once you might as well twice and three times and it goes on until you get caught. not worth it imo as carpet cleaners get paid well any way, or at least they should be.

Matt Lindus

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 06:25:08 pm »
as joe said, if you're going to cheat tax man why wouldn't you cheat your customers? not something you want to start doing as you also run the risk of going too far with it and getting carried away, one cash payment once in a while is ok but if you're going to do it once you might as well twice and three times and it goes on until you get caught. not worth it imo as carpet cleaners get paid well any way, or at least they should be.

If the cash the 'FRIEND' gave you was a 'GIFT' for doing them a 'FAVOUR' by cleaning their carpets then the tax man can't by law touch you. You and the customer friend would need to consent.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 06:42:03 pm »
I would have took the cash, its easy to jump on your high horse and tell us all what upright honest citizen you all are and how you would never go down the slippery slope of evading you duty to pay taxes ::) ::)

but the customer has not asked you to do anything illegal she has asked for a discount for cash, its still can be put through your accounts but what you do by making a smart alec response isto  insult & alienate the customer.

making sarcastic comments to customer might make you look clever but in the eyes of the customer you're just a clever git who won't be cleaning their carpets again

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Colin Day

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 07:24:09 pm »
making sarcastic comments to customer might make you look clever but in the eyes of the customer
you're just a clever git who won't be cleaning their carpets again

Who made a sarcastic remark then??? I never actually make sarcastic remarks to my customers as much as some can be awkward, customers are our livelyhoods! I treat each and every one of my customers with the utmost respect, even when they are being a pain...

But you weren't having a dig at me Mike, were you? Cos you'd never have a dig at anyone, would you..?

Now "That's" sarcastic ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 07:26:52 pm »
Colin would i  i dare make a sarcastic comment to a man of your obvious wit & superior intelligence ;) ;)

JandS

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 07:29:39 pm »
Why is taking cash tax avoidance?
Either declare or don't but don't come on here and talk about it.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 07:32:24 pm »
colin these are the comment  i see a little hint of sarcasm

from Joe......"Then added - if I was prepared to cheat the taxman I may be prepared to cheat you by not doing such a good job"

from peter....." is when I say for instance say £95 and they say £90 and that "it's only a fiver difference" to which I answer "ok, we'll make it £100 then, only a fiver difference" they soon stop haggling once the price starts going up. "

Colin Day

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 07:33:20 pm »
Mike..... I'll get my coat ;D

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 07:36:23 pm »
We could get marti to go outside and google it on his phone ;D
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Joe H

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 07:47:04 pm »
There was no sarcasm there Mike.
I forgot the line where he definitely implied paying by cash would be a tax benefit to me.

and I agree there is nothing wrong in receiving payment by cash - its what one does with it for accounting purposes that matters.