Colin Day

£100 for Cash?
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:50:00 pm »
This morning I had to park in a horrible little street with double yellow lines, set up extra lengths of hose to snake it's way to a cottage set way back from the street. The rain was pouring and I was drenched (I've had to come home for a fresh change of uniform I was that wet!) . I did the bathroom (amongst other rooms) with a hand tool as it was so tiny and managed to get all but one stain out.

Although I'd used defoamer I was having problems thanks to the occupant's liberal use of 1001 on a stain and all in all, one of the worst jobs I've done in a long time.

The customer said she was delighted that I'd done such a good job as I wrote her ticket out for £110, gave her a free bottle of promo spot and stain remover (RRP £9.95) then she says... "£100 for cash?"

All I can say is, I walked away with £110 ;D Some customers really know how to take the "P"!

Andrew Briscoe

Re: £100 for Cash?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 01:39:16 pm »
Move back to Cumbria, its fine and warmish here today  ;D

Andrew

brencarpetman

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:48:36 pm »
Sounds like the knind of housewife i deal with on a daily basis.
A little appreciation just sometimes would be nice.
Chancer, fair play for sticking to your guns.
Probably regretting giving the free spotter away cos probably wouldnt want to go back anyway!
Go on da Leeds

Colin Day

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 03:26:41 pm »
Sounds like the knind of housewife i deal with on a daily basis.
A little appreciation just sometimes would be nice.
Chancer, fair play for sticking to your guns.
Probably regretting giving the free spotter away cos probably wouldnt want to go back anyway!

;D Good point!!!!!

john aitken

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:28:38 pm »
This morning I had to park in a horrible little street with double yellow lines, set up extra lengths of hose to snake it's way to a cottage set way back from the street. The rain was pouring and I was drenched (I've had to come home for a fresh change of uniform I was that wet!) . I did the bathroom (amongst other rooms) with a hand tool as it was so tiny and managed to get all but one stain out.

Although I'd used defoamer I was having problems thanks to the occupant's liberal use of 1001 on a stain and all in all, one of the worst jobs I've done in a long time.

The customer said she was delighted that I'd done such a good job as I wrote her ticket out for £110, gave her a free bottle of promo spot and stain remover (RRP £9.95) then she says... "£100 for cash?"

All I can say is, I walked away with £110 ;D Some customers really know how to take the "P"!

i think we would have a cracking job if it wasnt for the customers [they spoil it ]
but hey oh what we gonna do

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 07:01:02 pm »
I hate customers like that! Haggling at the point of closing the sale is one thing but after you've done the job is a royal pain in the arse!

Hope you took your bottle off her! lol

Tony

calmore

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 07:03:53 pm »
I agree that haggling after the job is done ain't really the done thing!

However, we're all looking for a bargain so asking for a discount before hand is par for the course. I mean, how many times have you been to a chemicals supplier asked for and gotten 20% off??
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

wynne jones

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 07:15:07 pm »
It's because she thinks you will be better off and so will she. Unfortunately she also assumes you are happy to commit tax evasion!
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Joe H

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 07:20:48 pm »
I remember a business asking How much discount for cash.

I replied cash or cheque - its all the same, Gordon Brown takes his bit (the good ole days), the wife takes her bit, and I get whats left which is'nt much.
Then added - if I was prepared to cheat the taxman I may be prepared to cheat you by not doing such a good job..

I got paid the full amount - by cheque - and that was fine.

Steve Gunn

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 07:28:09 pm »
I remember a business asking How much discount for cash.

I replied cash or cheque - its all the same, Gordon Brown takes his bit (the good ole days), the wife takes her bit, and I get whats left which is'nt much.
Then added - if I was prepared to cheat the taxman I may be prepared to cheat you by not doing such a good job..

I got paid the full amount - by cheque - and that was fine.

Had one same as Joe today, business landlord has given him a bill for £4100 to replace carpet as he is moving out I managed to salvage carpet for the measly sum of £120,how much for cash unbelievable  he paid by card in the end then went on how I was only there just over an hour ::)

Sarah Kirby

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 07:33:13 pm »
I can see your point but I think everyone one of us would be happy to receive a discount/get a bargain......fair play to her for trying! :P

Colin Day

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 07:38:31 pm »
I wouldn't care Sarah, but on pricing the job up I quoted £125 and she got me down to £110.... She was just greedy beyond belief and if she'd have tried it on for a further discount before I'd started, I'd have turned on my heels and walked away....

The greedy beeeyatch!!! Haha!

DanielWelford

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 09:50:28 pm »
Ive had that too mate. My response is yes to their cash offer, then say i'll have a cheque for the balance. ;D

Dan

Colin Day

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 09:52:41 pm »
Ive had that too mate. My response is yes to their cash offer, then say i'll have a cheque for the balance. ;D

Dan

I'll remeber that one and use it Dan... :D

garyj

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 11:44:59 pm »
I'd be tempted to say " You know what, I'm so pleased with the job I've just done I was thinking of charging you more"  :-*

Peter_Jones

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 02:15:26 am »
I went to price a job up today - £82, the young Asian gentleman with a Ferrari parked on his drive was haggling away, first he wanted it for £70, then £75 but I didn't budge. In the end he said "ok then £80", to which I corrected him "£82" - he said "I can't believe you're bothered over the "£2" to which I said "it doesn't appear to be me that's bothered about the £2"

Other classic examples I get is when I say for instance say £95 and they say £90 and that "it's only a fiver difference" to which I answer "ok, we'll make it £100 then, only a fiver difference" they soon stop haggling once the price starts going up.

Matt Lindus

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 12:14:15 am »

No, your the fool in reality. You will pay 22% income tax on that £110 cheque - (£24.20), so you will bank £85.80 after tax. If you would have taken the £100 cash you would be £14.20 better off and have the readys in your pocket. ::)

Matt

Matt Lindus

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 12:26:58 am »
Forgot, NI is also to be added at 8%. So from that £110 cheque you will take £77.00. You'd have been £23.00 better off with the cash!

robert meldrum

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 07:04:54 am »
A very good point from Matt and one worth remembering...................If I get the option, it's always cash !

justin brown

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 08:00:44 am »
cash is king!!
i am here to learn and appreciate any help