john aitken

£10 per room
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:40:27 pm »
thats right here's one for you 
a guy where i live northumberland is charging £10 per room any size
if you want to look go to yell and put in carpet cleaners  northumberland
NOW im not slagging the fella off he may be doing great jobs and good luck to him.
the thing is i charge a lot more than that and im struggling a bit.
i mean £10 per room   ive a vito van which guzzles diesel and i use chems from restormate [not cheap rubbish god bless john and lyn] and theres no way on earth i could make that pay it would even have been hard 20years ago.
also seen him on the road last to days and hes got a helper  HOW does he pay him.
so id like someone to explain to me how this works and maybe ill do it
he'll even give you your money back if your not happy

be honest to clean a living/dinning carpet right your looking at hour/half
and hell get £20  Christ my wife makes me pay her more than that to see her boobs

Colin Day

Re: £10 per room
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »
Keep calm and carry on ;D

Seriously mate, I wouldn't bother about these cheap carpet cleaners.... Just as you shouldn't worry too much about the ones who charge way over the odds....

You have to remember that they could be using a "Bait and Switch" system, either way, they may not be in business for too long. Concentrate on your own business fella and work hard to be known as the best carpet cleaner offering good value for money ;)

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:54:03 pm »
Hi John

The £10 a room divvies are everywhere - and yes even down south. We all have them and yes they are frustrating, but the more you focus on their prices, the more it will have a negative effect on your business.

He probably wont last long (lets be honest here), and he could even be a bait and switcher :o, The problem is if/when he disappears the legacy is there for others to do the same i.e. charge peanuts - in the complete wrong belief that 'undercutting' other cleaners will put 'them' out of business and then he can raise his own and make a killing.

Of course this never happens most of the time ::)  and so the cycle goes round and round and round.

Mark

p.s. the other thing that is annoying is when domestic cleaning companies offer carpet cleaning as an add on - and have no idea on charges (or how to do the job), and so merely charge a bit more than the average hourly rate for cleaners. This is where the cheapness comes in again ::)

john aitken

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:59:37 pm »
many thanks to you both for that just one thing whats bait and switcher
never heard that before

robert meldrum

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:49 pm »
It's an American term for people who advertise low prices to get in the door and oly announce a much higher price on completion. It's unethical, it's cheating, it's crooked, but it goes on and very hard to overcome.

Steve Gunn

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 09:12:04 pm »
Mr Glee I believe don't let him bother you he is rubbish apparently won't get many recommends but you may get some calls to rectify his handy work ;) He does actually only charge a tenner per room any size

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:12:35 pm »
Hi John

Its when someone 'baits' a customer like a fish - with a cheap advertised price. This gets them hooked. Then when they agree over the phone to do the job, the 'operator' then starts coming out with add ons before actually starting the job.

These are usually:

1. The rooms are bigger than thought. More dough.
2. Why not have a double clean? More dough.
3. Do you want deodoriser? More dough

The list can go on and on. Now all of a sudden the price has increased significantly ::) Is it dishonest...yes.

Mark

john aitken

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »
Mr Glee I believe don't let him bother you he is rubbish apparently won't get many recommends but you may get some calls to rectify his handy work ;) He does actually only charge a tenner per room any size
you may be right but how much damage will he do  and will the customer be put off using cleaners again thinking were all the same

Colin Day

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:29:16 pm »
you may be right but how much damage will he do  and will the customer be put off using cleaners again thinking were all the same

You're spot on with that statement....

Steve Gunn

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 09:33:42 pm »
People who want their carpets cleaned for £10 are not the customers we want in the first place

wynne jones

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 10:25:30 pm »
The guy will be out of business soon enough, it's just that there is always someone to replace him and even £20 looks very expensive in comparison.  :'(
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

gwrightson

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 05:13:03 am »
People who want their carpets cleaned for £10 are not the customers we want in the first place

Good to see you back Steve ,
where have you been hiding?

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Steve Gunn

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 06:30:52 am »
Been too busy to spend as much time on here as I was, instead of concentrating on my business

The Great One

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 06:55:25 am »
Hi

Just seen one in Brighton, £10 per oom.....

Using 'Rug Doctor Technology'  ::)

Regards

Martin 8)

robert meldrum

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 07:54:31 am »
Hope you're well Steve ...............like the new avatar !

john aitken

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 07:59:05 am »
Hi

Just seen one in Brighton, £10 per oom.....

yeah this one claims to be using  extracta   [claims]

Using 'Rug Doctor Technology'  ::)

Regards

Martin 8)

SteveAllan

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 10:53:10 am »
The guy will be out of business soon enough, it's just that there is always someone to replace him and even £20 looks very expensive in comparison.  :'(

Maybe not, there is a chap in my town doing the same and has been for the last 20 years.

Mark_Jubb

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 09:05:58 pm »
Good choice of van too
If there isn't enough time to do the job right,  how do we find the time to go back and do it again when the customer is not happy ?   Do it right the 1st Time.
NCCA Member 1399.  Swindon, Wiltshire

john aitken

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 06:24:17 pm »
thanks for the input fellas  GOOD CRACK    really enjoyed it