Len Gribble

Re: Big Vans
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2004, 10:44:30 pm »
:)
Hi Dave

I do like your setup, sorry Dave and All, it baffles me why every one what’s to carry all their equipment on a job, the more you carry the more mpg it cost you!  If I did I would need the likes of an lwb high top Sprinter or similar, then that would not be big enough and I would have problems parking.

I plan my workload if I need a portable then I take it, if I need a rotary I take it, if I need a scrubber dryer that go’s in the trailer the same if I need all, which often happen on commercial work.

Now I will be criticised but I like it.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2004, 11:38:40 pm »
I've not been doing this all that long, and dont have masses of equipment or anything, but I do have a fair bit.  As I use a portable machine, I find that If I'm prepared to bump the odd plastic box thru the (my) house, and plan my work, my Bedford Rascal is adequate to the task!  I know that it is extremely small next to some ( Image?) but it is clean, tidy and signwritten.

Having said that, were someone to offer me a Scudo, Kangoo, or baby transit I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up ;D ;D ;D

Does anyone have any thoughts/ opinions on van size? - aside from whether it will carry all your kit, does size matter?

Bill

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2004, 11:52:46 pm »
Don't answer that.  I've just read all the other updates on the topics. ::)

Len Gribble

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2004, 12:08:11 am »
MARK

If I hear of one will let you know.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Bob Allen

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2004, 12:30:47 am »
Along the same line.........how many truck mount owners have them in smaller vans and if so how small can you go?
Bob Allen

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2004, 12:54:08 am »
I've just got a smaller van to put my new Boxxer in before I had a Bane and it would only fit in a LWB so I've saved on buying a bigger van and now I've got a brand new transit and it better at fitting on most if not all drive ways

Shaun

Derek

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2004, 06:17:42 pm »
Hi Len

I am not going to pick on you...honest ;D

I am totally the opposite to you...I take everything and would include a kitchen sink if there was room.

My vehicle (in non freeze conditions) contains:-

Two extraction machines
Vacuum
Spotting machine
Steam generator
Rotary m/c
Various hoses and extension hoses
Three floor tools and heaven only knows how many upholstery tools.
Two grooms
Protector sprays (one for carpets and one for upholstery)
Sundry buckets, s/s sprays chemicals etc.etc.

I am sure I have forgotten something.  

Oh yes...ME ;) ;D

Regards
Derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2004, 10:08:26 pm »

Hi Derek

I know your not picking on me. ;D

I understand why you carry bits and pieces and so do I, but why do you need too carry so much machinery?

Never had a problem of van/equipment freezing wife goes on the drive van goes to bed with me; van makes money, this wife costs.

Sorry for my ignorance what is Rotary m/c?

Len

Derek

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2004, 09:20:50 am »
Hi Len

Guess when I was young the 'belt and braces' method of doing things was always instilled into me. .. plus its a terminal case of 'old dog and new tricks'.

Scenario...A vacuum motor or pump goes on site... change machines and you are up and running again in no time.

My host machine (I forgot to include that in my list....but its there) which doubles up as an agitator  in addition to its prime use as a dry compound machine for Coir/Seagrass etc.

Steam generator for stain removal/ curtain cleaning / defrosting the fridge when the 'Governor' forgets to do so etc..

Spotting machine...easier to take in for those little stain removal jobs than the HWE 'beast'

Rotary machine ...otherwise known as a standard speed scrubbing machine used for the bonnet cleaning of carpets/combination cleaning together with HWE/ hard floors.

Over the years I have learned that whilst on site if the customer asks .."Could you do....?" I have the kit on board the van .."to do"

Oh, I forgot to mention I am also a meglomaniac!  ;)  ;D

Hope this helps

Derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2004, 10:25:22 am »
Thanks Derek

Len ;D