Gringo

Re: Ever get the feeling ........UPDATE.
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2021, 12:38:12 pm »
And one I agree with too👍old bragmondo can't help posting his hourly rate though

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2021, 12:47:33 pm »
No need for the constant mentioning of money though. Bit boring to be honest mate.
Just hope you are making it work for you and can retire to the nice house and be comfortable. If not then it’s a bit of a waste of time really. This as always is just my opinion.

i find it refreshing when people mention the money they are earning in this clear manner.

we are all in this to earn money, and it is common practice for similar businesses to compare their costs, income and profit to help them perform well for their industry.

the idea that you shouldn't talk about money is quite old fashioned british.

we can learn a lot from the americans in that aspect in my opinion
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2021, 01:41:45 pm »
Just too much whining sometimes for me. I left school before the exams a very long time ago and was deemed stupid. Done really nicely for myself despite what people said at the time. So I ‘personally’ feel grateful and always have done. So there are some awkward customers out there. So what! The colour of their money is the same as everyone else. If you don’t want them that’s absolutely fine. I will take them no problem.
So ‘shiny chips’ to you my friend and have a wonderful day!

It's what forums are for. A bit of whining and 'there there.' 🤣

Don't allow being deemed stupid years ago to be a reason to prove the 'deemers' wrong 40 years later.  I bet many of us here have no more qualifications than you.

If you want to feel grateful then by all means feel grateful to your better customers, but more to yourself and your direction in applying your hard work.

It's a game of three halves!

dazmond

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2021, 04:59:38 pm »
No need for the constant mentioning of money though. Bit boring to be honest mate.
Just hope you are making it work for you and can retire to the nice house and be comfortable. If not then it’s a bit of a waste of time really. This as always is just my opinion.

ill mention money as often as i like mate....after all thats what im working for..... :)

the least amount of hours for the most money is all im bothered about TBH these days........
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2021, 06:19:25 pm »
Have to agree with you both James and ‘Dazmond’. If you get full up then of course streamline the business to how it suits you. Takes years and a lot of graft to do that 👍

if your "too grateful" you end up with a stagnant round and keep lots of rubbish jobs and dont put your prices up for years(i know ive been there and done it_in the past!)...its constant refining process to stop it stagnating.....it never ends no matter how many years you ve been window cleaning....

robbo333

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2021, 06:58:08 pm »
Just too much whining sometimes for me. I left school before the exams a very long time ago and was deemed stupid. Done really nicely for myself despite what people said at the time. So I ‘personally’ feel grateful and always have done. So there are some awkward customers out there. So what! The colour of their money is the same as everyone else. If you don’t want them that’s absolutely fine. I will take them no problem.
So ‘shiny chips’ to you my friend and have a wonderful day!

'So What'...I'll tell you what, awkward customers either waste your time, cost you money, or p you off; usually it's all three.
Yes, the colour of their money is the same as everyone else, but I would rather earn my money on easy jobs, well paid, with nice customers. And in time you will too.
Being grateful is a humble attitude to have, but remember you run a business not a charity.

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Always shining

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2021, 07:11:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice Robbo
39 years in the business I hope it comes soon 😀😀
Remember it was just my opinion!
As for follow the Americans way. That’s priceless. I lived next to an American years ago. He always had to have the better car, the better strimmer, the better lawn mower, his extension had to be bigger than mine. It wasn’t the fact that he had better things than me. Good luck to him. He had earned his money so could spend it on what he liked. It was the constant TALKING about them!! Seriously boring. For me personally back then (20 years ago) and today more than ever I find there are far more interesting things in life to talk about than money. It is ‘in my opinion remember ’ all about as someone once said on here ‘Willie waving’.
Totally unnecessary and pure bland!
Come on off you go ........
Gently though please 😀

dazmond

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2021, 07:54:04 pm »
As for follow the Americans way. That’s priceless. I lived next to an American years ago. He always had to have the better car, the better strimmer, the better lawn mower, his extension had to be bigger than mine. It wasn’t the fact that he had better things than me. Good luck to him. He had earned his money so could spend it on what he liked. It was the constant TALKING about them!! Seriously boring. For me personally back then (20 years ago) and today more than ever I find there are far more interesting things in life to talk about than money. It is ‘in my opinion remember ’ all about as someone once said on here ‘Willie waving’.
Gently though please 😀

i agree talking about money is not something i do outside of the forum.......but its a BIG part of window cleaning IMO ...when i first joined this forum in 2009  i was earning around £16k-£18k a year trad and was absolutely sick of climbing ladders.....

fast forward 12 years and its more like 50k a year for part time hours,no collecting and no ladder climbing!love it!

im proud of my business/round and how ive managed to knock it into shape over the years.....this forum gave me the confidence to charge more and treat window cleaning more like a business and that i am GRATEFUL for!

Bungle

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2021, 08:12:24 pm »
Gently though please 😀

i agree talking about money is not something i do outside of the forum.......but its a BIG part of window cleaning IMO ...when i first joined this forum in 2009  i was earning around £16k-£18k a year trad and was absolutely sick of climbing ladders.....

fast forward 12 years and its more like 50k a year for part time hours,no collecting and no ladder climbing!love it!

im proud of my business/round and how ive managed to knock it into shape over the years.....this forum gave me the confidence to charge more and treat window cleaning more like a business and that i am GRATEFUL for!

Dazmond does have a point. I think the people that moan about him mentioning his earnings probably aren't that well established. I remember years back reading a comment from a poster who also sold brushes etc (he was a condescending tw*t mind) who said you could clean a window WFP in a minute. I thought this is bull, he was wrong, you can clean a window WFP in under a minute.
We look at them, they look through them.

Smudger

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2021, 08:43:35 pm »
Well said Daz - you have every right to be proud - you have worked wonders

Maybe, and this is just my opinion, sometimes your  posts are a little thoughtless/insensitive to others that are yet to make the improvements you have successfully done

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Always shining

« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2021, 07:24:40 am »
Dazmond is right to be proud of what he has achieved. Anyone who can make a successful business out of manual labour should be applauded. No qualifications needed just will, determination and sheer effort to keep getting out of bed every morning especially when it is sub zero out there. Especially so when it’s just you, bucket and ladder strapped to the top of a crappy old van. You’ve worked your ticket mate as I and lots of others have. With modern technology anyone can now get into this business and make very good money. That wasn’t the case years ago.
So don’t think I’m ever having a go at you personally and certainly not what you have achieved. Couldn’t be further from the truth.
I was just talking about this need to be talking about the £40-£50 an hour etc etc.
Just try and remember back to the £3 per house days. We are both from the North after all. Maybe you’re not as old as me 😀
Good luck to you mate 👍

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2021, 05:52:59 pm »
I love the fact he mentioned specific hourly sales targets

That’s a fundamental statistic for getting your business right

This is a business forum after all
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

james peters

« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2021, 05:57:29 pm »
always shining .... I remember those £3 a house times when I started in 1992  ;D
my goodness it was a hard slog...... not to mention the collecting.

from reading dazmonds posts ..... my round is petty similar, and my hours are similar....
back then I wouldnt have believed what is achievable over time.

lately , I have been dipping my toe into softwashing.... amazingly is this far more lucrative than window cleaning
my son is in college and has started helping me for a few hours on saturday mornings , so I save softwashing jobs for a saturday morning.

i watched with interest when zesty was trying to explain to NWH   that softwashing is worth the effort.
unfortunately it fell on a closed mind and deaf ears.

window cleaning is the base.... and is the avenue to the cream jobs

Always shining

« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2021, 06:08:46 pm »
Yes collecting on a Thursday and Friday 😀
You’re right about the customer base being just the start. For the last few years I’ve morphed into all kinds of property maintenance type work from fencing, painting, paving etc etc and it all started from my regular window cleaning customers. Once the reliability and trust is there and also being able to actually do the other work to a good standard then they would rather have me than faff about looking for tradesmen. It’s each to their own really. Window cleaning on its own can be very lucrative but I have always had an inability to say no to everything else 😀
Never really minded what I do so long as it’s legal and I’m earning

robbo333

« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2021, 06:12:05 pm »

I love Daz, he reminds me of Harry Enfield's 'Loads O money'!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!

james peters

« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2021, 07:16:23 pm »
you have to admire his positivity ;D
glass is always half full , even though hes tea total  ;D ;D

cumon daz try some softwashing ?
NO NO NO
2 years later.......

hel be loving it !

Always shining

« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2021, 07:20:10 pm »
Was thinking about Harry Enfield the other day when Kevin turns into a teenager 😀😀 My twins are teenagers in a couple of weeks 😱

dazmond

« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2021, 07:51:51 am »
you have to admire his positivity ;D
glass is always half full , even though hes tea total  ;D ;D

cumon daz try some softwashing ?
NO NO NO
2 years later.......

hel be loving it !

Not for me mate.....if it means working on a Saturday morning.....😄👍....as for drinking I do drink occasionally these days but it's only once or twice a month...usually a glass or 2 of wine with a meal or the odd beer....🙂

NWH

« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2021, 12:17:58 pm »
always shining .... I remember those £3 a house times when I started in 1992  ;D
my goodness it was a hard slog...... not to mention the collecting.

from reading dazmonds posts ..... my round is petty similar, and my hours are similar....
back then I wouldnt have believed what is achievable over time.

lately , I have been dipping my toe into softwashing.... amazingly is this far more lucrative than window cleaning
my son is in college and has started helping me for a few hours on saturday mornings , so I save softwashing jobs for a saturday morning.

i watched with interest when zesty was trying to explain to NWH   that softwashing is worth the effort.
unfortunately it fell on a closed mind and deaf ears.

window cleaning is the base.... and is the avenue to the cream jobs

I will get the softwashing jobs I have done not with the modern equipment I get a price from the guy I use and then put a price into the customer,that’s far more lucrative for me because I haven’t got to even go to the job and do it.

robbo333

« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2021, 05:47:58 pm »
I'm similar.
I hate doing fsg cleans and clears on houses; makes my shoulders ache like buggery and also i'm too busy!
Don't mind bungalows though.
So I give them all to a mate of mine for him to do.
I don't take anything for it; now and again he takes me out for a meal and a p155 up!