Mike Halliday

Re: how good is a CFR
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2007, 08:46:29 pm »
I liked the smell :P
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

carpetguy

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2007, 09:32:26 pm »
It's a very mild and according to clients, pleasant smell Shaun..................sure you did'nt drop something ?

rob

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2007, 10:26:21 pm »
Solvent smelling trumps are new to me ;D

Shaun

carpetguy

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2007, 10:42:10 pm »
IT'S ONLY 10% SOLVENT Shaun, did'nt mean to shout, and while it's an unusual smell, it's sweet and I think quite pleasant

Liahona

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2007, 08:46:25 am »
Rob, I understand what you are saying as indeed under most circumstances I think bigger is better.  Although not all.  Having said that if bigger wasnt better why do manufactures keep upgrading their machines to higher solution pressures and more vacuum and more heat?  CFR being the biggest culprit of this.  They didnt use to clean with heat or at a high pressure.  Now that they do so they have a better resulting clean.  Therefore surely in cfr's "suggestion" bigger is better.  Best, Dave.

Steve Carpenter

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2007, 09:31:51 am »
Dave,

The CFR was designed in the 70’s. It’s always utilised high pressure for cleaning carpets from day 1, having models that operated with 200 psi (Performa series), 400 psi (Pro 400 and Altra Series) and then in the mid eighties a 1000 psi pump model.

They also had a model, the Altra Pro ‘Heat’ operating with a 400-psi pump and internal heat exchanger from the mid eighties. At that time CFR were one of only two companies offering machines, with an ‘internal heat exchanger’. US Products being the other manufacturer.

The system has operated comfortably with a single vac for years. They only added a second vac a few years ago following market pressures. Customers couldn’t understand why CFR only used one vacuum when every body else was adding additional vacs. This was due to the design of conventional and ‘industry standard’ wands, manufacturers had no choice but to add vacuums as they increased solution pressures to mimic the ‘on the carpet results’ of truckmounts. So now the High Performance portable is commonplace.

Regards

Steve

Liahona

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2007, 12:46:07 pm »
Thats exactly my point.  From where they first started they have since gone to higher pressures and heat.  Best, Dave.

Steve Carpenter

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2007, 01:19:36 pm »
Read my post again Dave. CFR introduced both 200 psi and 400 psi extractors from day 1.

Liahona

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2007, 01:57:18 pm »
I understood the post.  Therefore again, CFR are now using a "bigger" machine now than they have done in the past.   Else they would still be using what they were if there was no need to go bigger.  I know the recovery of the machine in design are close to being second to none and I have never questioned its ability to recover.  We all know heat is usually the choice to clean with and accordingly it was an add on later in its development.  If bigger wasnt better then why are there choices of machines?  Does the "lesser" of the models clean with the same results as the "higher" of the models and or do the same job?  If so then again why are there lesser and better machines in its own range?  Last thing, really, why would they have a 200 and 400 psi machine from day one?  Or is it that the 400 would have better results than the 200.  I have never said that these machines dont work or get good results but under normal circumstances bigger is better.   As is shown in the CFR range.  Best, Dave.

Glynn

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2007, 02:03:08 pm »
Steve thats funny ! I like it.

mimic the ‘on the carpet results’ of truckmounts
Regards
Glynn

Ed Valentine

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2007, 02:21:32 pm »
Gentlemen;

All great comments above .

However, IMHO, the absolute best statement that we should "never" forget when speaking in generic terms is what ken Wainwright stated:

"....It's not about power, it's about physics and engineering..."

The very best;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

carpetguy

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2007, 07:04:52 pm »
True Ed, but who's physics and engineering. I've read your posts, along with your fellow countrymen for a few years and been fascinated by the arguments.................however, I've tried to keep an open mind and tried / tested everything that came along.

Dave.................you're not listening / reading...............CFR is not going bigger...........they have, since the mid 80's supplied, up to 1000 psi, in a portable, into which you could put hot or cold water, or add an online heater............they were marketed here UK along with One Step, which does not need heat.

ROB

Mike Halliday

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2007, 07:14:55 pm »
why did CFR start with only one vac......?

could it have been the were developed in the USA so had to work with a lower voltage, so once they had fitted such a big pump ( which requires a bigger motor so needs more power) they didnt have enough power remaining to use 2 vacs

big pump & 2 vacs mean blown fuses on a single plug.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Ed Valentine

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2007, 07:35:07 pm »
Rob;

Thank you for asking:

"True Ed, but who's physics and engineering"

On one hand, I'm not quite sure why you asked this question if you agreed with me. However, I will answer by stating that when real engineering is applied, and physics are used (as should be, btw) in establishing real performance and efficiency---------------------rather than copying or cloning something (which normally happens in alot of Industries)------then those elements that I have mentioned truly make US different as manufacturers and therefore, offers the Operators a newer and fresher alternative.

I will only use ONE example of the above that I can attribute to being the first to develop: The POWER BOOSTER System that we had developed in the '70s. Now, this concept is common place (wether copied or cloned) on almost all continents in the World.

Making products more efficient means making them different by taking full advantage of the physics, engineering, and design capabilites that will benefit and push forth much better and perhaps advanced equipment for the Operator.

That is my answer and has been my experience over the years.

Hope this helped answer your question & thank you for those kind words.

I thank you, sir.

Best regards;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

Liahona

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2007, 09:08:54 pm »
 RobI feel I read and listened.  It has been said by Steve and yourself that in the mid 80's a machine was available with 1000 psi.  It has also been said that the first 200 and 400 psi machines were out so to speak in the 70's.  This being the case why the need for the jump from 400 to 1000 if bigger isnt better.  Surely the higher pressure with heat is a better machine.  Or am I missing something.  If it isnt better then why make it in the first place as I could just buy the smaller machine and be at the same place so tp speak.  We all know the bigger machine is better.  Best, Dave.