Re: Hows the hot weather affecting you?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 08:10:20 pm »
All you need is some patience Wayne.

Shaun

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 09:48:00 pm »
flat out in Essex guess the under cutting is going well  ;D ;D

3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms and a hsl £80 that in do nicely , was so funny when  a friend of a friend of a carpet cleaner that told them we would be a cowboy out fit with an old van and a rug doctor

13 plate transporter with a truck mount in the rear and 20 years of cleaning behind the clearer got to love the haters just wish they would have the cuts to say it to julians face rather then phoneing people off here calling us names !!  ???

Craigp

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 10:00:10 pm »
Thats not that cheap I seen carpets cleaners advertise less than that, and with a TM

Brendan (chem2clean)

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 10:12:40 pm »
hi Susan,glad your making money and your doing well.3 rooms and hsl,do you move furniture,how long does it take you to do it,80.00 pound sounds very cheap?/

Mark Weedon

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 10:55:03 pm »
Hi Susan,

£80 for 3 beds 2 bt and hsl, is far too cheap in my opinion. Essex too, we are Middlesex.

Let me brake it down for you, firstly we run a truck mount before you say about time with a t/m. Petrol to job, petrol for t/m. Chemical, full vac(20 mins) set up 10 mins pre spray with dwell (15 mins) extract(20-30 mins) depending on stains, pack away, and get paid by cheque (tax) factor in your salary I can't honestly see how this job can make you much more than £20-30.

I'm not trying to be controversial but with other associated costs like advertising, wear and tear on wands, sprayers, phone, insurance, rotary scrubbers, pads etc etc, I promise you that pricing structure is giving you turnover but no profit. 

For starters your min charge should be £80-90. That job should be priced at min £120- more £150 still a whole load cheaper than franchises. All depends on how you quote either phone or visit. Hope £80 was done on phone as well.

Any how this is not meant as a dig at you more just pointing out that you have made a great investment into a t/m so make sure you get your just rewards

Mark

Craigp

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 10:01:10 am »
Well said mark.

Your customers are getting TOO good a deal.

It's kind of like selling an iphone 5 for £50.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 12:15:08 pm »
I don't see the problem, if Susan is happy at those prices and it keeps the diary full then hey ho. You've got to work really really cheap not to make money in this game, unless you do groupon, that is. :'(

wynne jones

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 12:36:30 pm »
I don't see the problem, if Susan is happy at those prices and it keeps the diary full then hey ho. You've got to work really really cheap not to make money in this game, unless you do groupon, that is. :'(

I agree with Simon, if she's happy and the customers happy then let her get on with it.

The thing is others are thinking, how the hell does she run a TM and a new van at those prices and I suspect the answer is she or whoever does it doesn't fanny about. You won't be moving beside cabinets and putting them on pads, you won't be letting custy stop you from setting up because she wants to tell you how bad her life is and you won't be wanting any cheques.

So it's quite possible to get a hydra force on it, set up and suck up and fck off in just over an hour and the hourly rate is probably more than the amiable porty user who interacts with the customer, does a bit extra like a mat or a spot elsewhere and gets his recommends that way rather than just being 'cheap'

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Hilton

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 01:05:31 pm »

I agree with Simon, if she's happy and the customers happy then let her get on with it.

Unless I have missed something I cant see where anyone is saying to her or anyone else NOT to just get on with it....not sure what the outburst was about.

You have a nice big machine, nice van and are very busy good luck and enjoy.  :)

wynne jones

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 01:47:50 pm »

Unless I have missed something I cant see where anyone is saying to her or anyone else NOT to just get on with it....not sure what the outburst was about.

You have a nice big machine, nice van and are very busy good luck and enjoy.  :)

What outburst, I can't see an outburst? Maybe I missed something.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Richard Meads

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 02:14:57 pm »
Mark, quote from you, "just pointing out that you have made a great investment into a t/m so make sure you get your just rewards", Susan isn't new to this! in in fact already successful using their business model they have set up another TM in this new area.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »
you could be busy all day long doing several jobs a day being cheap and THINK your making good money, bosting on here... But we all know the expenses we have before taking in to account no holiday pay, no sick pay,  NI contributions, Tax etc etc etc etc. Even if you "only accept cash" i'd like to see how long you can trade before you get the cease trading immediately letter.

For some people think £35k a year profit is seen as a success, some other people might think £100k is a success.

Think how many carpets you need to clean to achieve £100k at £15 a room or what ever Susan is charging. ALOT of frigging carpets!!

But let them crack on with it. If they are happy and know something I don't know like defying the laws of physics then thats all that matters.

Mark Weedon

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 09:09:18 pm »
I did not intend to cause any great debate on it.

We'll agree to disagree, again ill reiterate nobody can convince me that £80 for 3 beds 2bt and hsl ain't too cheap, porty or tm. I am certainly not disputing Susan may be busy and may have 2 t/ms, all I'm trying to say I guarantee you Susan or anyone that if the customer would pay £80 they would also pay £100 for same job. 3 jobs a day averaged out would be extra £300 a week, grand a month to turnover. And even at hundred quid it's still pretty good value!

But yes each to their own. Whatever your own business wants. We have 3 vans 1 t/m 2 portys. We aim to reach £15000 a month, so I suppose however it comes as long as it comes!!

Mark

Max Campbell

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »
I'd just like Susan to tell us why they charge as they do. It does seem unnecessarily cheap, but lets hear from the person who's got a new van & TM on the basis of this strategy. They're doing something right.

Max Campbell

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »
BTW we're almost flat out too. Did £615 by 2.00 pm today - third & last job cancelled 2 days ago. Could fit in a couple of little jobs in next couple of weeks, but not much more.

Brendan (chem2clean)

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »
whats the average price for say a truckmount,3 12x14 rooms and a stairs and landing in your neck of the woods?

Max Campbell

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 10:39:18 pm »
I really don't want to say, 'cos we do try to be high priced, and I don't want to come across as a willy waver - but I'll take a lot of convincing that the right thing to do is anything other than get the highest price you can whilst staying busy, and we are staying busy.

Our list price, which we do discount (more often than not, actually, but only as needed) is 60p per sq ft, clean only, inc VAT.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 10:49:20 pm »
Max do you go out and audit every enquiry?

Shaun

maxcampbell

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:35 pm »
Max do you go out and audit every enquiry?

Shaun

Well, my son does. Though we (he) does give a discount for simple - sounding jobs that they'll book over the phone.

Richard Meads

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 11:53:52 pm »
Two Max Campbells! Took me a moment to work it out, I met Oliver at the Flood School, IICRC training, glad you guys are busy. So you are in the same area as Susan? Just shows, different marketing, different customer.  I'm not up to 60p sq ft, think I need to put my prices up  :)