wayne zabel

Hows the hot weather affecting you?
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:30:49 pm »
Phone hardly rang since this hot weather started,You would think it would be the opposite.

Hows it affecting others.

sksnls

Re: Hows the hot weather affecting you?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:37:06 pm »
yes same here the phones hardly rung since the weather has been good. I would have thought it would have been the perfect time to get the carpets cleaned! Also had 2 jobs cancelled this week which doesn't help.

*Hector*

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:38:02 pm »
well...

my sun tan is coming along very well, and I am drinking more water than usual, and Mrs Hector has me pottering about the garden...

Oh yes... me ed is sunburnt now coz I forgot to put a hat on yesterday morning and this morning too...  8) 8)
 ;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Dennis

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 02:39:56 pm »
Oi! slaphead.  ;D

davep

*Hector*

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 03:06:30 pm »
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:14:57 pm »
Honestly I'm pulling my hair out its bloody mental, I set off at 6.45 and have not stopped its the same all week.

Shaun

Steve Gunn

wayne zabel

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:33:09 pm »
Good luck to you Shaun.......Ive come to the conclusion that CC and 29 degrees don't go well together ;D

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 08:51:49 pm »
I had to put Dri Pods in my office and I am in East of Scotland !!!

Hate summer. Roll on October.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 09:02:12 pm »
Is that why you lot of manly ginger haired its an evolutionary thing also good at tennis perhaps the haggis hunting with the snow boots helped.

Shaun

wynne jones

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:29:56 pm »
Stacked out with work. When I go for a p i ss it's like builders tea despite drinking 4l of water. Get home feel like I've returned to earth after 6 months in space.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

hotsteam

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »
Most have air  movers try putting one or two on to keep cool  ::)roll
Hotsteam

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 10:34:46 pm »
today, after 4-5 hours of work I back home complately wet, had the car seats to do as an extra job after the carpets and while the extraction my sweat was dripping on the seats.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 01:19:55 am »
Make sure you drink enough liquid... I did not a few years ago and ended up with gout.
Don't laugh it ain't funny
Feet are now deformed.
Keep drinking until you pee straw colour, anything darker is dangerous.
I know what I am talking about......
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Paul Evans

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 06:53:58 pm »
Wayne
Im not far from you, but not close enough to be a competitor, do you offer leather cleaning and protection.
I do and this has picked up considerably lately this also involves getting the carpet work to go along side.
My next 2 jobs include leather plus carpet. Think the hot weather maybe making the leather sticky.

Paul.

wayne zabel

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 07:43:44 pm »
Wayne
Im not far from you, but not close enough to be a competitor, do you offer leather cleaning and protection.
I do and this has picked up considerably lately this also involves getting the carpet work to go along side.
My next 2 jobs include leather plus carpet. Think the hot weather maybe making the leather sticky.

Paul.

To be honest paul,Ive been as busy as I want to be over the last few months,but have not had a lot of calls since the weather got hot.Not got into leather as yet.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 08:13:48 pm »
" not had a lot of calls since the weather got hot.Not got into leather as yet." (quote Wayne Z)

The mind boggles :o :o :o

Wayne, I think you'll find its much more comfortable not weathing leather when the weather is hot!!

Rog

Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Paul Evans

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 06:10:02 pm »
Rog
Hope everything is well after the operation, how are you

Paul

wayne zabel

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 06:28:15 pm »
Well theres me saying the phone wont ring..............and I book 5 jobs in one day.

Its a funny old game

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 08:10:20 pm »
All you need is some patience Wayne.

Shaun

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 09:48:00 pm »
flat out in Essex guess the under cutting is going well  ;D ;D

3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms and a hsl £80 that in do nicely , was so funny when  a friend of a friend of a carpet cleaner that told them we would be a cowboy out fit with an old van and a rug doctor

13 plate transporter with a truck mount in the rear and 20 years of cleaning behind the clearer got to love the haters just wish they would have the cuts to say it to julians face rather then phoneing people off here calling us names !!  ???

Craigp

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 10:00:10 pm »
Thats not that cheap I seen carpets cleaners advertise less than that, and with a TM

Brendan (chem2clean)

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 10:12:40 pm »
hi Susan,glad your making money and your doing well.3 rooms and hsl,do you move furniture,how long does it take you to do it,80.00 pound sounds very cheap?/

Mark Weedon

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 10:55:03 pm »
Hi Susan,

£80 for 3 beds 2 bt and hsl, is far too cheap in my opinion. Essex too, we are Middlesex.

Let me brake it down for you, firstly we run a truck mount before you say about time with a t/m. Petrol to job, petrol for t/m. Chemical, full vac(20 mins) set up 10 mins pre spray with dwell (15 mins) extract(20-30 mins) depending on stains, pack away, and get paid by cheque (tax) factor in your salary I can't honestly see how this job can make you much more than £20-30.

I'm not trying to be controversial but with other associated costs like advertising, wear and tear on wands, sprayers, phone, insurance, rotary scrubbers, pads etc etc, I promise you that pricing structure is giving you turnover but no profit. 

For starters your min charge should be £80-90. That job should be priced at min £120- more £150 still a whole load cheaper than franchises. All depends on how you quote either phone or visit. Hope £80 was done on phone as well.

Any how this is not meant as a dig at you more just pointing out that you have made a great investment into a t/m so make sure you get your just rewards

Mark

Craigp

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 10:01:10 am »
Well said mark.

Your customers are getting TOO good a deal.

It's kind of like selling an iphone 5 for £50.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 12:15:08 pm »
I don't see the problem, if Susan is happy at those prices and it keeps the diary full then hey ho. You've got to work really really cheap not to make money in this game, unless you do groupon, that is. :'(

wynne jones

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 12:36:30 pm »
I don't see the problem, if Susan is happy at those prices and it keeps the diary full then hey ho. You've got to work really really cheap not to make money in this game, unless you do groupon, that is. :'(

I agree with Simon, if she's happy and the customers happy then let her get on with it.

The thing is others are thinking, how the hell does she run a TM and a new van at those prices and I suspect the answer is she or whoever does it doesn't fanny about. You won't be moving beside cabinets and putting them on pads, you won't be letting custy stop you from setting up because she wants to tell you how bad her life is and you won't be wanting any cheques.

So it's quite possible to get a hydra force on it, set up and suck up and fck off in just over an hour and the hourly rate is probably more than the amiable porty user who interacts with the customer, does a bit extra like a mat or a spot elsewhere and gets his recommends that way rather than just being 'cheap'

Hilton

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 01:05:31 pm »

I agree with Simon, if she's happy and the customers happy then let her get on with it.

Unless I have missed something I cant see where anyone is saying to her or anyone else NOT to just get on with it....not sure what the outburst was about.

You have a nice big machine, nice van and are very busy good luck and enjoy.  :)

wynne jones

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 01:47:50 pm »

Unless I have missed something I cant see where anyone is saying to her or anyone else NOT to just get on with it....not sure what the outburst was about.

You have a nice big machine, nice van and are very busy good luck and enjoy.  :)

What outburst, I can't see an outburst? Maybe I missed something.

Richard Meads

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 02:14:57 pm »
Mark, quote from you, "just pointing out that you have made a great investment into a t/m so make sure you get your just rewards", Susan isn't new to this! in in fact already successful using their business model they have set up another TM in this new area.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »
you could be busy all day long doing several jobs a day being cheap and THINK your making good money, bosting on here... But we all know the expenses we have before taking in to account no holiday pay, no sick pay,  NI contributions, Tax etc etc etc etc. Even if you "only accept cash" i'd like to see how long you can trade before you get the cease trading immediately letter.

For some people think £35k a year profit is seen as a success, some other people might think £100k is a success.

Think how many carpets you need to clean to achieve £100k at £15 a room or what ever Susan is charging. ALOT of frigging carpets!!

But let them crack on with it. If they are happy and know something I don't know like defying the laws of physics then thats all that matters.

Mark Weedon

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 09:09:18 pm »
I did not intend to cause any great debate on it.

We'll agree to disagree, again ill reiterate nobody can convince me that £80 for 3 beds 2bt and hsl ain't too cheap, porty or tm. I am certainly not disputing Susan may be busy and may have 2 t/ms, all I'm trying to say I guarantee you Susan or anyone that if the customer would pay £80 they would also pay £100 for same job. 3 jobs a day averaged out would be extra £300 a week, grand a month to turnover. And even at hundred quid it's still pretty good value!

But yes each to their own. Whatever your own business wants. We have 3 vans 1 t/m 2 portys. We aim to reach £15000 a month, so I suppose however it comes as long as it comes!!

Mark

Max Campbell

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »
I'd just like Susan to tell us why they charge as they do. It does seem unnecessarily cheap, but lets hear from the person who's got a new van & TM on the basis of this strategy. They're doing something right.

Max Campbell

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »
BTW we're almost flat out too. Did £615 by 2.00 pm today - third & last job cancelled 2 days ago. Could fit in a couple of little jobs in next couple of weeks, but not much more.

Brendan (chem2clean)

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »
whats the average price for say a truckmount,3 12x14 rooms and a stairs and landing in your neck of the woods?

Max Campbell

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 10:39:18 pm »
I really don't want to say, 'cos we do try to be high priced, and I don't want to come across as a willy waver - but I'll take a lot of convincing that the right thing to do is anything other than get the highest price you can whilst staying busy, and we are staying busy.

Our list price, which we do discount (more often than not, actually, but only as needed) is 60p per sq ft, clean only, inc VAT.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 10:49:20 pm »
Max do you go out and audit every enquiry?

Shaun

maxcampbell

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:35 pm »
Max do you go out and audit every enquiry?

Shaun

Well, my son does. Though we (he) does give a discount for simple - sounding jobs that they'll book over the phone.

Richard Meads

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 11:53:52 pm »
Two Max Campbells! Took me a moment to work it out, I met Oliver at the Flood School, IICRC training, glad you guys are busy. So you are in the same area as Susan? Just shows, different marketing, different customer.  I'm not up to 60p sq ft, think I need to put my prices up  :)

Max Campbell

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 12:00:40 am »
I log on on the desk top and my ipad, they think I'm 2 different people. No, thank God, we don't really overlap with Susan. had one this week, aussy guy, had 3 quotes, says, jeez CCing's dear over here - he'd picked us as the cheapest - £251 for an hour & a half - what can I say?

Richard Meads

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2013, 12:18:53 am »
I'm further south, phew  :) Quoted a job today £350 she booked with me and then told me she already had one  quote for £800! damn should have gone with £799   ;D

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 11:11:50 am »
Two Max Campbells! Took me a moment to work it out, I met Oliver at the Flood School, IICRC training, glad you guys are busy. So you are in the same area as Susan? Just shows, different marketing, different customer.  I'm not up to 60p sq ft, think I need to put my prices up  :)

don't think all the people we clean for are single mothers and live it dumps  , Fridays work was two jobs in Braintree , for two  bankers that work in London , they  gave us the code for the gates and the drives were  nearly 2 mile long !

they use to use this this other guy.  he too as a t.m. but he wont be there again as they now know they have been ripped off , having been in the cleaning game for a 100 years were doing something right (handed down from my farther and grand farther)

over the years ive found that the guys that have done all these cleaning  corses and been briain  washed buy people that are no better then cowboys themselves , they sit there telling the new people you should charge this you should charge that , if anybodys cheaper then xyz there cowboys and wont last long ! WRONG , they push there working ways and tell people to use only one type of chem why ???? because there part of the black hand gang getting chems cheap , and new merchines half price  its been the same for years  :'(

this is the same people that work in to there late 50s and are almost bend double with a bad back , so what they preach is bull because if  there so called dear priceing and good work , worked they why they still working and not sat on the beech somewhere hot counting there cash ???

you should nt worrie about what other people are doing that I agree with , however you should always keep an eye on what everybodys doing and take note , that way you keep yourself on your toes ,

i just think to many people make this job to hard and make themselves more work and more  important then they realy are were just cleaners not doctors the jobs simple why make it so hard

and befour the hates start we use full chems and i think my staff eat cit gel , and cardboard squares , we don't cut corners just don't stand talking bull poop that the training corses tell you too

your there to clean not give the customer a low down on what ph your chems are , when we got the house built i didn't ask the builder what size trowel he was using to put the bricks down . i didn't  care ,didn't want to know just wanted my house built to which he did

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 01:39:21 pm »
I totally agree with what much of Susan says.
The problem with people telling us about all these high prices they charge is that the reader has no way of telling whether its the truth, bravado, or just plain bragging and for all we know their phone may not have rung for a week and to me that makes the mentioning of prices pointless.

Simon

Mark Weedon

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 02:04:22 pm »
Fair play Susan you make some good points. Some I agree with some I don't.

I'm assuming you are referring to other board where some of the guys possibly take it to the enth degree. Your point about charging more but still working till 50 odd with bad back, well we are carpet cleaners so majority of us ain't gonna get rich enough to retire by 50 whatever we charge, and there is two ways to look at it. Yes charge less smash out the work, but remember when we get to 50 your not gonna have energy to smash it so you may need to slow down but your client base is used to paying x amount, so your turnover does slow down or do as some do charge more and earn same amount for less work.

Either way your still working till 68-65.!!!

Anyhow interesting topic. Glad to hear your busy, still stand my point that your £80 charge could rise to £100 your def not ripping anybody off with either price. Try it this week think what you would normally charge and add 10-20 quid. Be interesting to hear if it works or not.

Mark

Richard Meads

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 02:59:12 pm »
I too agree with a lot you've said Susan, I hope you don't think I was knocking you, as I pointed out earlier in the thread that your business model is successful.
If you get the amount of money you want for a job it doesn't matter if they are bankers or single mothers. If you offer whole house packages, a slightly smaller house is quicker to clean!

Craigp

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 03:06:44 pm »
*bankers being ripped off by carpet cleaners.

Thats a good one.

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 03:27:01 pm »

The problem with people telling us about all these high prices they charge is that the reader has no way of telling whether its the truth, bravado, or just plain bragging and for all we know their phone may not have rung for a week and to me that makes the mentioning of prices pointless.

Yep

Few months ago I asked my neighbor to call few carpet cleaners for the price, guys from top 10 google, and others professional.
The question was: - price for 3 bedrooms (2xdouble, 1xsingle), stairs and landing.
- price for 3pc suite

The cheapest were the companys that I was expecting to be on high prices.
Carpets were between 120 - 150 euro, furnitures 95-195 euro. The cheapest was the guy that I think that is most known, best advertised, top 10 google, a half page in golden pages etc. F...n funny !?
Before that I was expecting me to go much higher with the gear I own, training, insurance. Not a hope. Could not find even one company on the good high prices.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 05:24:00 pm »
Prices are based on traffic the more you get the higher you can be also how much you want to or can sell at.

Susan has been a member on here a long time her business model isnt for everyone but to understand it we arent asking the right questions so Susan here goes:-

Do your vans work as a 2 person crew
Do you move most furniture
How long does it take to clean a 3 bed home?

No porkies now I know you like to torment a few but there's a lesson to be learned Robert Meldrum was always good at teaching these practices.

Shaun

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2013, 09:02:35 pm »
Takes longer to move furniture than not so you aren't taking as long so tm not on long you can fit more jobs in derrrrr!

Shaun

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2013, 09:38:00 pm »
Takes longer to move furniture than not so you aren't taking as long so tm not on long you can fit more jobs in derrrrr!

Shaun

shaun !!!!!

yes we move most of the furniture ! come on you know us and should know better theres no way I would have my staff clean round things !

it takes us 2-2.5 hours to clean a three bed house , I like my staff to either rx20 them of r.d.m. them we carry both , and  put snails up stairs while cleaning the down stair each van carrys 3-4 snails ,

thing is when I joined this site 8 years ago I got mocked and some people even got nasty , how ever I am still here three you them are gone 1 went under and lost his house the other two got  that deep in bills they had to pack in shame eh what happened to all that cash they were getting ????

ive also tried for three years upping my prices and my worked all dryed up over night !  Julian tm only did 2 thousand miles one year and most of that was going to the shop ! lucky that we have a big house rental company to keep him busy and at the same time we were building our house so I didn't care

however back to last year I more then half my pricses over night as I got sick of him round the house , his bother was out of work so I sent him to Essex bought a window clean round join the two together and boom I went mad we now have two window cleaning vans and one tm there they like the cheap prices and were picking a lot of management work up off the dear guys 

work fast ,work right,

don't stand gobbing off and trying to look clever with your talk as heres a little tip from a house wife ,
buy the time you have left we feel that you have come in to our home and called us dirty pigs looked down your nose at us and we had to pay you to do so , we know our stuff needs cleaning because we rang a carpet cleaner just get your sucker thing out and clean  ;D that's from a female kind of see where I am comeing from ???

Paul Moss

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2013, 09:57:40 pm »
 :-*. How you guys doing, long time.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 10:55:27 pm »
I know you do a good job you also have the tools but for the benefit of the forum I asked the question, I was very sarcastic towards Simon but lets face it its a working class forum and that was a bit of a working class answer, I take these places with a pinch of salt you would have to try bloody hard to offend me on here.

Shaun

jim mca

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2013, 11:19:02 pm »
Susan

What TM do you have in the transporter and what model is the van if you don't mind