Re: how do people measure/price caprets, in particular commercial
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 06:26:25 pm »
i'm actually shocked people will take furtinute into consideraion

Why do I have to explain everything down to the last tiny detail for some people?
Example: One commercial I have done is for a major group of accountants. A good 10% of that floor space is full of customer files from floor to ceiling. Are you telling me you would charge for cleaning that area?
Wow, so hard to get under a desk isn't it :o Depends on what sort of desk, some are nothing more than tables, whilst some will have cabinets built in to the left and right of where the feet touch the ground under the desk. Then there are unmovable cabinets full of files/documents.

Adam P

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 06:48:59 pm »
jeesh. depends on the situation whether i'd charge but if 10% is files (i assume they are in a cupboard), i'd also guess that they are scattered around the office so you'll have to be careful and work around them and not just simple spray the whole area, which can add time. and yes i is harder to go under a desk then if there was no desks at all, again adding time rather then reducing it.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 08:57:25 am »
jeesh. depends on the situation whether i'd charge but if 10% is files (i assume they are in a cupboard), i'd also guess that they are scattered around the office so you'll have to be careful and work around them and not just simple spray the whole area, which can add time. and yes i is harder to go under a desk then if there was no desks at all, again adding time rather then reducing it.

No, no, no and no.
Jeez Easter you really were having Kermit moments last night weren't you.
They are basically very large screwed to the floor filling shelves jammed packed full of very large files, from the floor to the ceiling which they use a step ladder to get to the top ones. In lenth about 15 foot each, number of these 'units' about 20 of them. So they are not in a cupboard. 
What machinery are you using if you find it hard to get a wand or rotary under a desk ???
Try and keep up it's not hard.

jasonl

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 09:03:35 am »
Most commercial  areas have suspended ceiling tiles  , these tiles are  invariably 50cm across , I simply count the tiles  and  half the number   to calculate  the square metre figure , then  take into account soiling , furniture etc.

Customers are often bemused by me staring at the ceiling when I am supposed to be looking at the carets , it does create an "oh thats clever" comment  most times , and helps to break down barriers.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 09:06:47 am »
I've done the same thing in the past by counting the carpet tiles.
Length x Width before Mad Bunny thinks I count each and every carpet tile ;D

Adam P

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 09:11:00 am »
neil you need to re-read my post. i said it's harder to go under a desk then it is if there was no desk at all. is that simple enough for you or do you need me to write the word HARDER in big, bold, underlined and highlighted text so you don't miss it again?

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 09:22:44 am »
Most of us would use the phrase 'difficulty factor.'
Some parts of the job are negligible (not worth worrying about) in terms of 'difficulty like going under desks, whilst some parts will be quite substantial to the overall job like having to move loads of desks, cabinets, chairs etc.
This is something you clarify with the responsible person for ordering the work.
Is that clearer.

Helen

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 09:40:43 am »
Most commercial  areas have suspended ceiling tiles  , these tiles are  invariably 50cm across , I simply count the tiles  and  half the number   to calculate  the square metre figure , then  take into account soiling , furniture etc.

Customers are often bemused by me staring at the ceiling when I am supposed to be looking at the carets , it does create an "oh thats clever" comment  most times , and helps to break down barriers.

Take your calc up to 60cm/600mm per tile, standard module sizes 600x600 or 1200x 600 (500 are a specially produced tile) ;)

Billy Russell

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 10:06:07 am »
I'm afraid Neil thats just not clear enough for me, could you type it in capitals please, that might help!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;)

Adam P

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 10:10:18 am »
you sure you've made that clear enough for him billy?

Billy Russell

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 10:12:32 am »
Don't know to be honest!!!!! I'll give him to the end of the day to answer, then i'll type it in capitals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Rick Ward

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 11:29:14 am »
if calculating M2 as Jason said 100 x 100 tiles (even at 500mm calculation) makes 1000 then halved as said= 500- to calculate M2.
that would mean your pricing 250m (100 x 500mm=50m x 50m=250m) at 500m.... ???

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 06:20:39 pm »
I always price from a furniture plan. Usually provided in cad format. I also use a laser measured to take a size of one area in the office should need to scale a drawing for rest of building. I also establish population for each floor and ask for the DOC spec.

Everything is submitted using colour coded plans with frequency cleaning system employed etc.

We then use these drawings going forward to recommend areas to be replaced,problem staining.

Quoting is done using a formula that takes into consideration building capacity, m2, furniture cover, frequency, projected time required per area dependant on system.

Len Gribble

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 07:03:59 pm »
Just been ask to spot clean only and it massive area 5500 sqm over four floors most of the tiles are totally f and did quantify

Been thinking in the region of £6560 for two Saturdays of porty work or am I way out
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

JandS

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 07:54:29 pm »
Len

Call it £6000 for cash the 2nd Saturday
won't be a full day!!!!!!!!!!

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 10:14:31 pm »
I'm afraid Neil thats just not clear enough for me, could you type it in capitals please, that might help!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;)

No, capitals mean shouting and that's not very professional.
I could do it in Welsh but it would probably be wasted on you ;) ;D

Billy Russell

Phillip Mold

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 03:40:53 pm »
Oh dear, double maths lessons all round.

500 mm x  500 mm = 2500mm sq mm = 1/4 m2

so for 500 mm (or 50cm) square tiles its length times width divided by four, not two to convert to m2
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

Billy Russell

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 10:42:47 pm »

so for 500 mm (or 50cm) square tiles its length times width divided by four, not two to convert to m2

Pardon???  ;D

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 07:09:04 am »

Or simply, there are 4 tiles (500 x 500) to a square metre