Adam P

Re: Do websites work?
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 05:14:15 pm »
i stand corrected. sorry john.

i didn't realise that clicks to your site count in rankings, i thought it was just static back links, clicked or not.

cheers garry,

derek you're actually 100% correct. why would a site benefit from having someone click on it from this site. how would google know this? they don't. only you know that your site has been clicked from here if you have a stat checker and that's no real benefit if the clicks come from here as no one (or few any way) will use your services.

clicks to your site from google will make a difference, clicks on here wont.

willclean will have had a load of clicks from this site from his comment. will i now link back to it because i clicked a link from here? of course not. will google rank it higher, how would it know i've clicked it? all this will do is make willclean see he's had more visitors then ever this month but no increase in sales. you want only real natural visitors who are actually looking for your service so they pick up the phone and call you.

something not seen mentioned is that getting clicks can actually lower your ranking on google. this can happen (but at a guess it's very rare and minimal), but say i search carpet cleaner london, click first result but immediately go back then select number 2 and then use that site. then say 1 million viewers do this. google will see first result is not so good and lower its ranking

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »
If google could actually see this forum (which it cant) it might get your site indexed a bit faster if its a new site, since the forum has a good page rank.

However, i cant see the point in wanting to get clicks to your site unless your trying to lower your Alexa ranking (maybe cos you want to sell it for a profit :)) in which case you could easly buy taffic at a traffic exchange. Last time i looked $27 for 10,000 us & uk hits.

Links from forums are pretty much useless, even the ones google can see.

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2011, 07:25:43 pm »
]. how would google know this? they don't.

And how do you know they don't know?
Is there anyone outside of the inner sanctum who put their hand on their heart and say I know EXACTLY how google works?

Links from forums are pretty much useless, even the ones google can see.

And the same thing....how do you know?
Last I heard was that links from forums that have many varied visitors was a big plus.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2011, 07:37:20 pm »
Well i know quite a bit on the subject actaully Neil. I think I should go back to lurking and having a wee chuckle to myself when i read the interweb discussions on here rather than participate :-X

Take it from me, clicks from any site to your site wont change things. Unless they are  targeted visitors looking for a carpet cleaner in your area of course.
And forum posts links, another waste of time. Google see's them as very weak links. Whats the big plus that you heard off?

garry22

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 07:46:09 pm »
Tony,

You hypocrite. ;D

And forum posts links, another waste of time. Google see's them as very weak links. Whats the big plus?

It seems to work for you  :D

http://www.starvmax.com/community/profile%3fuserid=3698

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/forums/index.php/forums/member/66927/

http://www.jenniferlopez.com/user/dirtmaster

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/profiles/dirtmaster/         etc...

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2011, 07:49:16 pm »
Volume and varied links Gary. Thats difference ;) one of them is a forum link. And google can see it...

Plus, lately its been alot harder to index a backlink and forum along with blog commenting is pretty much uselss, and yes i do have a few of those too before you go snooping  ;D

My comments in the other post where what i have found to be true recently. As with everything situations and tactics change all the time.

derek west

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »
well this discussion aint helping us "in the dark types" much.

but i suppose thats what makes forums so interesting.

"you should charge at least £150 for a suite"

"you should charge no more £75 for a suite"

"£30 for a lounge is about right"

"you should be charging at least £90 for a lounge"

"back clicks from forums help with seo"

"back clicks are useless for seo"

begs the question, are forums good or bad for your own business? who should you listen to when even the experts on here can't agree?

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2011, 08:46:06 pm »

begs the question, are forums good or bad for your own business? who should you listen to when even the experts on here can't agree?

Derek

Backlinks are links from one site to another site. Like the link you have in your signiture. This is good for seo. Just  that some links are alot better value than others. And some serve no purpuse at all.

Clicks or hits just means someone visting your site. And doesn't increase your sites rankings. I have never heard this.

Maybe we where all getting confused on what backlinks and clicks are??  :-\

derek west

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2011, 09:04:43 pm »
i'm not confused and i know FA about it all, a back link is whats on the bottom of my post and a back click is when someone clicks it, thats simple, i said to john its a waste of time on here unless one of us books his services, garry then said it isn't a waste of time as it helps with seo, greeny said it doesn't then neil said how dya know then you said it doesn't then garry said your a hypocrit (in gest) and proved it then.........then................. thats about it really.

anyway, who to believe eh! not that it matters that much really, does it?

Adam P

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2011, 09:09:12 pm »

who should you listen to when even the experts on here can't agree?

but who are the experts? i don't think it's a case of one expert not agreeing with another expert but instead one amateur not agreeing with another amateur. you've got to make up your own mind about what you think is correct. it should only take a little bit of common sense to work out how on earth could google see a click to your site, and why would it increase it's ranking. google can see where my house is because they are told it's there from many sources such as thomson local etc, but they don't know who goes in and out of it.

neil: it's physically impossible for them to know what users are on my site and from where they come unless the either come from google (but then that only gives limited info to them) or the website owner uses google analytics, but even google themselves say they don't use this information.

just thought of a simple reason why clicks will not effect your page ranking: the simple obvious reason is because then to rank highly all you'd need to do is keep clicking on your site.

derek west

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2011, 09:15:13 pm »

who should you listen to when even the experts on here can't agree?

but who are the experts? i don't think it's a case of one expert not agreeing with another expert but instead one amateur not agreeing with another amateur. you've got to make up your own mind about what you think is correct. it should only take a little bit of common sense to work out how on earth could google see a click to your site, and why would it increase it's ranking. google can see where my house is because they are told it's there from many sources such as thomson local etc, but they don't know who goes in and out of it.

it says in my analytics how many click my site from here so my common sense would say google obviously can see people from here clicking my site.

Adam P

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:03 pm »
i've added more to my post derek :)

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2011, 09:24:20 pm »
Thats just a stats tool Derek. A nice looking traffic stats counter at that :) But nothing to do with seo mate.

A quick example. Type in too google "online auction site" or even better "online auction" and Ebay is not even in the top ten  :-\ And we all know what the volumes of traffic ebay gets worldwide.

Try putting "search engine" in to google...7th!!  lol

Art

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2011, 09:29:32 pm »
well this discussion aint helping us "in the dark types" much.

but i suppose thats what makes forums so interesting.

"you should charge at least £150 for a suite"

"you should charge no more £75 for a suite"

"£30 for a lounge is about right"

"you should be charging at least £90 for a lounge"

Derek, join some SEO forums..American ones are the best.

All these SEO pros on here are cleaners and no one actually knows for definate what gets you ranked on google it's all trial and error.

I had 2 sites that i got on the top spots on google for natural listings with the search terms i wanted in a week or so...how did i do it? Don't know for sure but i think links were a big help and the rest was continually reading the SEO forums and trying different theories.

Good luck mate and the website thing isn't as hard as some would have you believe  ;)

Adam P

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2011, 09:29:42 pm »
Thats just a stats tool Derek. A nice looking traffic stats counter at that :) But nothing to do with seo mate.

A quick example. Type in too google "online auction site" or even better "online auction" and Ebay is not even in the top ten  :-\ And we all know what the volumes of traffic ebay gets worldwide.

thank god there is people on here with sense :D

I had 2 sites that i got on the top spots on google for natural listings with the search terms i wanted in a week or so...how did i do it? Don't know for sure but i think links were a big help and the rest was continually reading the SEO forums and trying different theories.

you sure it was 1 week? what was the phase you wanted? your company name?

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »
Yeah i wouldn't trust him in that link he clean's carpet's in his spare time ;D ;D
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Art

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2011, 09:44:34 pm »

thank god there is people on here with sense :D

you sure it was 1 week? what was the phase you wanted? your company name?

Yes mate 100% sure..read my post to Derek again..Do i come across as someone who lies?

Art

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2011, 09:48:49 pm »
Yeah i wouldn't trust him in that link he clean's carpet's in his spare time ;D ;D

;D

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2011, 10:02:30 pm »
Getting a site on google in a week is no real biggy - however it is more luck than anything else. It just so happened that you caught google a week before they re-indexed ::). If it had been a week later - you would have waited maybe up to 5 weeks.

Mark

Art

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2011, 10:10:00 pm »
Getting a site on google in a week is no real biggy - however it is more luck than anything else. It just so happened that you caught google a week before they re-indexed ::). If it had been a week later - you would have waited maybe up to 5 weeks.

Mark

Mark, i wasn't bragging mate i was just trying to make it as simple as it is for Derek or anyone else that isn't an expert and that includes me in the not being an expert bit  ::)