david_claxton

Do websites work?
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:12:03 pm »
Do you find that by having a website you have seen a noticeable increase in business? Just like yourselves no doubt, i receive lots of calls asking if I have a website. Do they really work for carpet and upholstery cleaning? I understand how it's a good thing for people to see if they look on the internet but do you clearly see an increase in business? Perhaps, if your website isn't very good, then no, but a good one???

Thanks,
Dave

markpowell

Re: Do websites work?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:18:10 pm »
yea the internet is the way to go along with the leaflet drops
Mark

clinton

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:51:15 pm »
Same here i do get a fair bit of work from them net..

Also a lot of price shoppers mind too.

Paul Heath

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:10:01 pm »
Ask yourself where do you look for things in your area......no website you won't be found...still always Yellow Pages.. :D

SteveAllan

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:27:51 pm »
You will get mixed answers on this, good for some not for others, eg have had less than 10 jobs in almost a year from the web

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:52:46 pm »
You will get mixed answers on this, good for some not for others, eg have had less than 10 jobs in almost a year from the web

Depends how your ranked.

Also, once you have paid for the site (and a small yearly hosting charge) all the jobs are free! Unlike other forms of advertising i.e. yellowpages, leaflets etc

Tony

Matt Seymour

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:03:39 am »
A website is only any good if it comes up on the first couple of pages in a google search. If the SEO is poor and the site is nowhere to be seen you might as well not bother.

Even if it is seen, if your site is a bad one, people will move on.

I do think that in this day and age it is definitely a good idea to have one.

Deep Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 05:14:11 am »
I get a couple of jobs a week and my site is not even opimized and not even finished yet(i keep tweeking it).It's also noticable that all my commercial quotes have been from my website.I'm really going to push my online presence this year by getting my site "SEO'd" and i have a few other ideas for other websites.
David.
Owner of Deep Cleaning Solutions.
Expert in Web Design & SEO
www.rocketwebsitedesigners.co.uk

MAX Carpets

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 06:25:23 am »
the net is a must. In fact we are dropping all other advertising this year!

Mr Dvae

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 06:34:50 am »
the more of us that leave yellow pages will leave more business for the advertisers that remain.

Dave

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 09:54:36 am »
Be carefull who you get to do the site, as you can get ripped off.  Some of em think no one else can build websites and will feed you full of false promises. Do not fall for the "we guarantee to get you to the top of Google" this is not something that than be guaranteed by anyone.

Some of the guys on here may be able to reccomend someone. I can not be so helpfull in that way as I built mine myself.

david_claxton

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 02:56:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I agree, it does seem as though everyone should have one. As per a remark by Monty, can anyone recommend a website builder or is it better to muddle through something like Mr Site software?

Roger Oakley

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 03:04:19 pm »
David,
From the pressure washing side but see this thread, for me a web-site is a must and it is 24-hours day, just keep it updated photos, testimonials etc. 50% of our work comes from the web.
The guy that built and does the hosting details on our home page, good service and good prices. Hope this helps.

The Great One

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 04:33:21 pm »
Hi

I am going to name and shame here.

Don't have click- marketing do your website

www.click-marketing.co.uk

They are in poole.

they did my site which was ok, then they called me for some marketing at £280 a month, i said not yet, lets see how the new year goes.

get home and they had taken the money out, have spent the last 7 weeks trying to get it back, they took the money without my say so and in less than an hour, but cannot return it under the same time frame.

Will never do business with them again and will warn as many people as possible to stay well away.

Regards

Martin 8)

Matt Seymour

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 08:59:08 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I agree, it does seem as though everyone should have one. As per a remark by Monty, can anyone recommend a website builder or is it better to muddle through something like Mr Site software?

I use Moonfruit, which is pretty good and easy to pick up. You can build a pretty good looking site using their online sitebuilder once you get the hang of it.

I find Mr Site is very limited to be honest and I've yet to see a really good looking site made using that. It's pretty basic.

M.Acorn

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 09:18:31 pm »
My google places account says I have 385 impressions only 4 views,what does that mean ?
What goes around comes around

davep

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 09:26:22 pm »
You google local listing has appeared 385 times but only 4 people have clicked on it

Richard Cole

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 10:05:38 pm »
Until a couple of weeks ago I was only getting a small amount of work from my website, however during all the snow I did a lot of tinkering and managed to get it on page 1 of google for several of the areas that I am targeting and my response has shot up. I built my own website using microsoft small business, my personal view is that people don't really look at your webiste that closely but just choose a company that appleals to them from the first page of google.

Got a job off someone yesterday and the reason the said they chose me was because they work in marketing and they liked the look of my site. Personally I don't think my site is very good, but hey its seems to be getting me one or two jobs a day at the moment. ;)
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

M.Acorn

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 10:41:27 pm »
You google local listing has appeared 385 times but only 4 people have clicked on it

Not very good then really
What goes around comes around

Matt Lindus

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 11:11:44 pm »
Dont. And I repeat, DONT, ever use a company called Web Creation Uk.

The websites they have in the portfolio section are fantastic and used as bait to entice people in.
Once you've paid your deposit, they produce in possibly 5mins, the worlds worst 'home brew attempt' you have ever seen.

Once they have your deposit, they dont give a s**t. No matter how many times you ask them to amend things, you get at best a 30 second tweek.
They hope your just going to drop the whole thing and accept that they cant develop and move on and loose your deposit.

You've been warned

Matt

Mark Farrimond

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 11:43:37 am »
I have just been doing some Google adwords stuff and they suggest phrases that might be useful to advertise for. 

Did you know that there are 9,900 searches a month for "Carpet Cleaning London" done in Google and 2,400 for "carpet cleaners uk"?

Now I appreciate you aren't all in London but there must be this amount on top for the rest of the country. 

I don't always believe what Google say but it must certainly be worth a go doing some PPC if you have a website.  I think the average cost per click is £0.50 - £1.00 - so it's not breaking the bank.  If you just stuck £20 on and tested it for a week its a start.  And if you use Google analytics you can tell if it has worked.

garry22

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 12:05:35 pm »
my personal view is that people don't really look at your webiste that closely but just choose a company that appleals to them from the first page of google.

Richard,

My experience is the complete opposite. People do read everything if they are interested in the subject.

Here's a couple of comments to a friend's site this week.

1/ "Dear xxxxxxxx

Have just been on to your web site.  Very impressed.  It guides the "novice" very nicely through the issues.  The result: this e mail!"

2/ "Hello. Your web site has so much information, I couldn't find what area of
the country you work in." 

We'll have to add a bit more info after the last comment  :)

Websites do a lot of pre selling or filtering out people automatically. They are also a non threatening way for people to get information without the worry of talking to a high pressure salesperson.

In answer to the original post. Websites are vital but don't stop doing the other marketing as well.

Garry

derek west

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 01:37:06 pm »
Do you find that by having a website you have seen a noticeable increase in business? Just like yourselves no doubt, i receive lots of calls asking if I have a website. Do they really work for carpet and upholstery cleaning? I understand how it's a good thing for people to see if they look on the internet but do you clearly see an increase in business? Perhaps, if your website isn't very good, then no, but a good one???

Thanks,
Dave

whats your budget for website dave, i may be able to point you in the right direction if you decide not to do it yourself.

clinton

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 03:07:44 pm »
Was going to sat the same derek whats his budget as somr nice sites for not a lot of money out there to be had.

JandS

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 04:10:06 pm »
Get a Vista Print website, there simple and good looking
and you build them yourself..........easily.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

derek west

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 04:14:01 pm »
lets have a look john.

vince viola

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 06:55:03 pm »
I use Mark at DP print & design.Does a great job at great prices.

JandS

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 08:06:37 pm »
Derek

www.jandsccs.co.uk

All my own work (apart from video)

John

Len Gribble

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 08:47:59 pm »
John
Think you will be in trouble with the ASA as from the 1 march  >:( we use the latest, top specification machines to ensure you get the best cleaning experience available  ;)

Nice site
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

ryan mca

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 08:59:00 pm »
DP Design and print excellent low cost first job £1000 and booked this year as well

Len whats ASA

Ryan

Len Gribble

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 06:17:47 am »
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Art

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 09:05:08 am »
Hi

I am going to name and shame here.

Don't have click- marketing do your website

www.click-marketing.co.uk

They are in poole.

they did my site which was ok, then they called me for some marketing at £280 a month, i said not yet, lets see how the new year goes.

get home and they had taken the money out, have spent the last 7 weeks trying to get it back, they took the money without my say so and in less than an hour, but cannot return it under the same time frame.

Will never do business with them again and will warn as many people as possible to stay well away.

Regards

Martin 8)

Hi Martin,

Try Darren on the other forum if you need any website stuff done

He did my online shop and i can't fault him

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 09:53:15 am »
Who's Darren? which forum is he on?

Shaun

Art

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 10:49:52 am »
Who's Darren? which forum is he on?

Shaun

Darren Bale , he's on the s cs f

JandS

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 11:23:32 am »
Good way of getting loads of clicks on your website.
Post it on here, site activity shot up on yesterdays
graph.

John

derek west

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 11:48:37 am »
Good way of getting loads of clicks on your website.
Post it on here, site activity shot up on yesterdays
graph.

John
john
thats a bad way of getting loads of clicks, unless a few of em booked you. ;D

garry22

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 12:14:49 pm »
john
thats a bad way of getting loads of clicks, unless a few of em booked you. 

Derek,

I'm glad you don't do web marketing for me  ;)

Have a think about this. Here's a clue... Imagine it was a brand new site. How would you benefit?

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 01:03:16 pm »
I can tell from my stats that I get a number of hits from this site every week.
Granted I don't get any work from these hits but it does keep your rankings up with google, as visits from numerous (various) sources is better than from just one source.
BTW the more outspoken your comments the more hits you get, and without doubt I have the best website every built by a carpet cleaner ;D
right sit back, wait a couple of days and recheck the stats

derek west

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 01:33:38 pm »
i stand corrected. sorry john.

i didn't realise that clicks to your site count in rankings, i thought it was just static back links, clicked or not.

cheers garry,

garry22

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2011, 05:01:43 pm »
Derek,

It's more to do with the relationship between links and traffic / clicks / visitors.

In a "natural" situation, a site would get some visitors. Some would like it and link back to a page or article rather than the home page (what Ian H calls deep linking). They would then get increasing numbers of visitors and backlinks as time goes on.

If a new site gets a load of incoming without visitors, it stands out like a sore thumb. A load of visitors makes subsequent backlinks look better / more natural.

I guess what you could do is put a lousy site up and then ask for opinions. The worse the site (and the more comments on here), the more visits you would get!

I've seen some CC sites where there is the same link text coming from say, fifty sites (and these are all hosted on the same IP address. Now that ain't "natural"

Hope that makes sense.

Adam P

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 05:14:15 pm »

i didn't realise that clicks to your site count in rankings, i thought it was just static back links, clicked or not.

cheers garry,

derek you're actually 100% correct. why would a site benefit from having someone click on it from this site. how would google know this? they don't. only you know that your site has been clicked from here if you have a stat checker and that's no real benefit if the clicks come from here as no one (or few any way) will use your services.

clicks to your site from google will make a difference, clicks on here wont.

willclean will have had a load of clicks from this site from his comment. will i now link back to it because i clicked a link from here? of course not. will google rank it higher, how would it know i've clicked it? all this will do is make willclean see he's had more visitors then ever this month but no increase in sales. you want only real natural visitors who are actually looking for your service so they pick up the phone and call you.

something not seen mentioned is that getting clicks can actually lower your ranking on google. this can happen (but at a guess it's very rare and minimal), but say i search carpet cleaner london, click first result but immediately go back then select number 2 and then use that site. then say 1 million viewers do this. google will see first result is not so good and lower its ranking

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »
If google could actually see this forum (which it cant) it might get your site indexed a bit faster if its a new site, since the forum has a good page rank.

However, i cant see the point in wanting to get clicks to your site unless your trying to lower your Alexa ranking (maybe cos you want to sell it for a profit :)) in which case you could easly buy taffic at a traffic exchange. Last time i looked $27 for 10,000 us & uk hits.

Links from forums are pretty much useless, even the ones google can see.

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2011, 07:25:43 pm »
]. how would google know this? they don't.

And how do you know they don't know?
Is there anyone outside of the inner sanctum who put their hand on their heart and say I know EXACTLY how google works?

Links from forums are pretty much useless, even the ones google can see.

And the same thing....how do you know?
Last I heard was that links from forums that have many varied visitors was a big plus.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2011, 07:37:20 pm »
Well i know quite a bit on the subject actaully Neil. I think I should go back to lurking and having a wee chuckle to myself when i read the interweb discussions on here rather than participate :-X

Take it from me, clicks from any site to your site wont change things. Unless they are  targeted visitors looking for a carpet cleaner in your area of course.
And forum posts links, another waste of time. Google see's them as very weak links. Whats the big plus that you heard off?

garry22

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 07:46:09 pm »
Tony,

You hypocrite. ;D

And forum posts links, another waste of time. Google see's them as very weak links. Whats the big plus?

It seems to work for you  :D

http://www.starvmax.com/community/profile%3fuserid=3698

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/forums/index.php/forums/member/66927/

http://www.jenniferlopez.com/user/dirtmaster

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/profiles/dirtmaster/         etc...

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2011, 07:49:16 pm »
Volume and varied links Gary. Thats difference ;) one of them is a forum link. And google can see it...

Plus, lately its been alot harder to index a backlink and forum along with blog commenting is pretty much uselss, and yes i do have a few of those too before you go snooping  ;D

My comments in the other post where what i have found to be true recently. As with everything situations and tactics change all the time.

derek west

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »
well this discussion aint helping us "in the dark types" much.

but i suppose thats what makes forums so interesting.

"you should charge at least £150 for a suite"

"you should charge no more £75 for a suite"

"£30 for a lounge is about right"

"you should be charging at least £90 for a lounge"

"back clicks from forums help with seo"

"back clicks are useless for seo"

begs the question, are forums good or bad for your own business? who should you listen to when even the experts on here can't agree?

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2011, 08:46:06 pm »

begs the question, are forums good or bad for your own business? who should you listen to when even the experts on here can't agree?

Derek

Backlinks are links from one site to another site. Like the link you have in your signiture. This is good for seo. Just  that some links are alot better value than others. And some serve no purpuse at all.

Clicks or hits just means someone visting your site. And doesn't increase your sites rankings. I have never heard this.

Maybe we where all getting confused on what backlinks and clicks are??  :-\

derek west

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2011, 09:04:43 pm »
i'm not confused and i know FA about it all, a back link is whats on the bottom of my post and a back click is when someone clicks it, thats simple, i said to john its a waste of time on here unless one of us books his services, garry then said it isn't a waste of time as it helps with seo, greeny said it doesn't then neil said how dya know then you said it doesn't then garry said your a hypocrit (in gest) and proved it then.........then................. thats about it really.

anyway, who to believe eh! not that it matters that much really, does it?

Adam P

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2011, 09:09:12 pm »

who should you listen to when even the experts on here can't agree?

but who are the experts? i don't think it's a case of one expert not agreeing with another expert but instead one amateur not agreeing with another amateur. you've got to make up your own mind about what you think is correct. it should only take a little bit of common sense to work out how on earth could google see a click to your site, and why would it increase it's ranking. google can see where my house is because they are told it's there from many sources such as thomson local etc, but they don't know who goes in and out of it.

neil: it's physically impossible for them to know what users are on my site and from where they come unless the either come from google (but then that only gives limited info to them) or the website owner uses google analytics, but even google themselves say they don't use this information.

just thought of a simple reason why clicks will not effect your page ranking: the simple obvious reason is because then to rank highly all you'd need to do is keep clicking on your site.

derek west

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2011, 09:15:13 pm »

who should you listen to when even the experts on here can't agree?

but who are the experts? i don't think it's a case of one expert not agreeing with another expert but instead one amateur not agreeing with another amateur. you've got to make up your own mind about what you think is correct. it should only take a little bit of common sense to work out how on earth could google see a click to your site, and why would it increase it's ranking. google can see where my house is because they are told it's there from many sources such as thomson local etc, but they don't know who goes in and out of it.

it says in my analytics how many click my site from here so my common sense would say google obviously can see people from here clicking my site.

Adam P

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:03 pm »
i've added more to my post derek :)

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2011, 09:24:20 pm »
Thats just a stats tool Derek. A nice looking traffic stats counter at that :) But nothing to do with seo mate.

A quick example. Type in too google "online auction site" or even better "online auction" and Ebay is not even in the top ten  :-\ And we all know what the volumes of traffic ebay gets worldwide.

Try putting "search engine" in to google...7th!!  lol

Art

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2011, 09:29:32 pm »

Derek, join some SEO forums..American ones are the best.

All these SEO pros on here are cleaners and no one actually knows for definate what gets you ranked on google it's all trial and error.

I had 2 sites that i got on the top spots on google for natural listings with the search terms i wanted in a week or so...how did i do it? Don't know for sure but i think links were a big help and the rest was continually reading the SEO forums and trying different theories.

Good luck mate and the website thing isn't as hard as some would have you believe  ;)

Adam P

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2011, 09:29:42 pm »
Thats just a stats tool Derek. A nice looking traffic stats counter at that :) But nothing to do with seo mate.

A quick example. Type in too google "online auction site" or even better "online auction" and Ebay is not even in the top ten  :-\ And we all know what the volumes of traffic ebay gets worldwide.

thank god there is people on here with sense :D

I had 2 sites that i got on the top spots on google for natural listings with the search terms i wanted in a week or so...how did i do it? Don't know for sure but i think links were a big help and the rest was continually reading the SEO forums and trying different theories.

you sure it was 1 week? what was the phase you wanted? your company name?

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »
Yeah i wouldn't trust him in that link he clean's carpet's in his spare time ;D ;D
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Art

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2011, 09:44:34 pm »

thank god there is people on here with sense :D

you sure it was 1 week? what was the phase you wanted? your company name?

Yes mate 100% sure..read my post to Derek again..Do i come across as someone who lies?

Art

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2011, 09:48:49 pm »
Yeah i wouldn't trust him in that link he clean's carpet's in his spare time ;D ;D

;D

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2011, 10:02:30 pm »
Getting a site on google in a week is no real biggy - however it is more luck than anything else. It just so happened that you caught google a week before they re-indexed ::). If it had been a week later - you would have waited maybe up to 5 weeks.

Mark

Art

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2011, 10:10:00 pm »
Getting a site on google in a week is no real biggy - however it is more luck than anything else. It just so happened that you caught google a week before they re-indexed ::). If it had been a week later - you would have waited maybe up to 5 weeks.

Mark

Mark, i wasn't bragging mate i was just trying to make it as simple as it is for Derek or anyone else that isn't an expert and that includes me in the not being an expert bit  ::)

Adam P

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »

no way suggestion you're lying. what i'm suggesting is getting to any position on google is not the easiest thing to do in a week, let alone the TOP position, especially when you don't know for sure how you did it. last week i cleaned 10,000 sqf of carpet in 10 minutes, it was covered in lucozade and it call come up, don't ask me what i used as i don't know for sure. you see why someone might question that? i'm not saying you're lying but a bit too good to be true so wanted to find out what i wasn't clear on

if you're sure it was a week my thoughts were then that you're listing highly for your company name, which trust me a lot of people think is actually a good thing (it's what BT customer street say in their advertising). but if it wasn't (i had to ask to find out after all), then it surely must have been a very easy ranking due to lack of competition, which is rarely the case.

i guess to summarise my point is that from reading your post it makes it sound as though seo is this easy thing any one can do in a week and get top results. from experience i know this is rarely how it is so wanted to find out what you'd done to get the good results you got. .

jasonl

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2011, 10:36:09 pm »

All these SEO pros on here are cleaners and no one actually knows for definate what gets you ranked on google it's all trial and error.

Good luck mate and the website thing isn't as hard as some would have you believe  ;)

There is one SEO pro who built me a site last year , got me near the top of GOOGLE very quickly , he has even posted on this thread, he really does know what he is on about.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2011, 10:48:32 pm »
Ay men to that, he sounds a good bloke, which of your sites was it Jason?

Shaun

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2011, 10:56:09 pm »
Hey jas i posted in this thread but it aint me ;D

Heres what i know about SEO

Take a postage stamp trim it around the edges, that's it a little smaller please ;D
now turn it over i will write on the back for you :-*
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Art

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2011, 10:59:27 pm »

There is one SEO pro who built me a site last year , got me near the top of GOOGLE very quickly , he has even posted on this thread, he really does know what he is on about.

Good stuff Jason but on the whole wouldn't you agree that most on here think they know what they are on about? Bearing in mind advice giving by me was imo spot on as NOONE knows how google ranks sites and some can get it right but mostly by trial and error.

As i said before i did it with 2 different site and not at the same time probably with in a year of each other and both in 1st place in a week

jasonl

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2011, 11:03:38 pm »
Most dont have a clue , and a lot of bull is spoken

www.cleaningprobournemouth.co.uk    was built by the person in question .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Art

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2011, 11:11:08 pm »

Thanks Jason, at last someone who knows what he's on about  ;D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2011, 12:17:18 am »

cheers garry,

derek you're actually 100% correct. why would a site benefit from having someone click on it from this site. how would google know this? they don't. only you know that your site has been clicked from here if you have a stat checker and that's no real benefit if the clicks come from here as no one (or few any way) will use your services.

clicks to your site from google will make a difference, clicks on here wont.

willclean will have had a load of clicks from this site from his comment. will i now link back to it because i clicked a link from here? of course not. will google rank it higher, how would it know i've clicked it? all this will do is make willclean see he's had more visitors then ever this month but no increase in sales. you want only real natural visitors who are actually looking for your service so they pick up the phone and call you.

something not seen mentioned is that getting clicks can actually lower your ranking on google. this can happen (but at a guess it's very rare and minimal), but say i search carpet cleaner london, click first result but immediately go back then select number 2 and then use that site. then say 1 million viewers do this. google will see first result is not so good and lower its ranking

Years ago I thought the number of Clicks your site got but I was wrong

All I know is that I clicked on somebodys site just now and the adsense followed me over to my widow blind forum.

It apears i am the only one seeing that link

Same applies when I look for sites on Chat up lines for old codgers to pull a beautiful woman

Doug Holloway

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2011, 08:01:40 am »
Hi Guys

There are two ways of looking at websites.

1. As a tool for generating work through web searches

2. As a brochure for your company which you can direct potentiaql customers too.

In terms of SEO, having the search terms in the title does help a great deal and in designing a site, headers etc with SEO in mind.

I have never bothered too much with all the 'tricks ' of SEO just tried to have clear , easy to read sites and it seems to have worked quite well.

Cheers

Doug

garry22

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2011, 10:36:41 am »
1/

I agree Jason,

Yes you did get there through partly, a lack of competition... HOWEVER

You also got there quickly through good on page stuff. Had you not got there straight away, it was only a matter of time before you did due to the good, on-going off-site promotion stuff.

2/ For the record, I did not say that clicks helped SEO. I said they helped a brand new site to aquire links more naturally.

garry22

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2011, 08:45:53 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting a site on google in a week is no real biggy - however it is more luck than anything else. It just so happened that you caught google a week before they re-indexed . If it had been a week later - you would have waited maybe up to 5 weeks.
/quote]

All these SEO pros on here are cleaners and no one actually knows for definate what gets you ranked on

google it's all trial and error.

I had 2 sites that i got on the top spots on google for natural listings with the search terms i wanted in a

week or so...how did i do it? Don't know for sure but i think links were a big help and the rest was

continually reading the SEO forums and trying different theories.

Good luck mate and the website thing isn't as hard as some would have you believe

Are those comments really expected to be taken seriously?

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2011, 09:18:19 pm »
Heres what i know about SEO
Take a postage stamp trim it around the edges, that's it a little smaller please ;D
now turn it over i will write on the back for you :-*

Good way of putting it and that's still probably more than I know.
All I know is what I have read from an American computer nerds forum. Guess the advice couldn't be too bad given that I have managed to rank enough sites high enough without the need for 1,000's of links.

Art

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2011, 10:51:20 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting a site on google in a week is no real biggy - however it is more luck than anything else. It just so happened that you caught google a week before they re-indexed . If it had been a week later - you would have waited maybe up to 5 weeks.
/quote]

All these SEO pros on here are cleaners and no one actually knows for definate what gets you ranked on

google it's all trial and error.

I had 2 sites that i got on the top spots on google for natural listings with the search terms i wanted in a

week or so...how did i do it? Don't know for sure but i think links were a big help and the rest was

continually reading the SEO forums and trying different theories.

Good luck mate and the website thing isn't as hard as some would have you believe

Are those comments really expected to be taken seriously?

Probably not but that's what i did

garry22

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2011, 12:38:17 pm »
Arthur,

I'm sorry if I sounded sarcastic.

I wish it was as easy as that everytime but sadly, in competitive areas it's not. It would be nice if CCs could stick a site up and get business straight away.

As for experts who are cleaners, there are several people on here that are more clued up than a lot of so called SEO companies.

A couple run many afilliate sites (maybe the toughest market). Another who posts on here actually runs a successful SEO business (but never mentions it on here). There's also is someone who runs a string of highly placed websites throughout the country (who's sites are a pig to dislodge  :))

Dennis

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2011, 01:31:55 pm »

Did you know Shaun was the first to import waving to the UK?
 ;D :D ;D ;)

jasonl

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2011, 01:46:01 pm »
Yes , but Shaun wands and waves , Jason bonnets and waves, which is in fact actually possible , whereas wanding and waving is not possible , I think I will get the ASA onto Shaun , and send him a solicitors letter. ;D
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

derek west

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2011, 01:53:02 pm »
i eat maccies and wand, and without the aid of a safety net or girl glide. ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2011, 05:42:27 pm »
I can wand and wave easily with my glide on I need a spare hand to open 'the letter'  ;)

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2011, 07:59:25 pm »
Chatting in code now shaun ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2011, 08:11:45 pm »
Mention it to Roger he will fill you in ;)

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2011, 08:13:52 pm »
Ah ok there mate ;D

Have to bend his ear then lol

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2011, 08:15:02 pm »
You'll laugh like I did.

Shaun

jasonl