hygiene

Workers and maternity
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:41:49 am »
Need advise

Took on a latvian girl about 2 months ago (Contract not yet issued) on interview we asked all the normal questions about holidays, sickness pregnancy etc no such issues.... She has now told us she is 16 weeks pregnant of which she obviously knew at the intrview stage, although that really wouldnt have matterd its the heavy duties she has to carry out the job isnt suitable for a pregnant lady ..where do i stand?...

Bertie Boo

Re: Workers and maternity
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:20:11 am »
......i didnt think you were allowed to ask about pregnancy at the interview stage?  ???

Stephen

julia

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 04:06:25 pm »
Hi
If she is in her probabtionary period cannt she be deemed not suitable for the position.  Try www.acas.co.uk that should help you out.
Julia

Lesley J

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:24:50 pm »
be very careful. if you get rid of her  she could say its because she is pregnant, and take you to a tribunal speak to acas, its not good for employers, I have been there myself.
Lesley Tyrrell

cml

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:54:28 pm »
As she is not required to let you know whether she is pregnant or not it may be fair to say that she might not have known two months ago that she was pregnant.

Dismissals for reasons connected with pregnancy will be considered automatically unfair and boarders on sex discrimination

What sort of heavy duties is she carrying out?