Del Boy

work not coming in as quick as i thought it would
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:50:22 pm »
just wondered how busy some of you guys was when you first set up your business, ive done a couple of jobs but nothing to write home about. Been delivering flyers also but nothing has come from them yet, maybe its just the time of year and because I have  just set up or is there something else I could be doing to help speed things up.

Thanks in advance.

Smurf

Re: work not coming in as quick as i thought it would
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:50:45 pm »
Could get yourself some stencils made up. Knock on doors and offer everyone with  dirty drives, patios, pathways etc a free test patch. lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJlZJovV4g

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:15:51 pm »
Some amazing talented peeps on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OJ2epg3SdY

Keiron Bradley

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:42:00 am »
Website website website....it's all about getting yourself onto page 1 of Google and the higher up the better obviously.
If you've got a Wordpress website I'll get you onto page 1 within a month....or at the very least a massive improvement. Because as Google themselves say no one can guarantee page 1.But I've done it for myself and for a few friends in different industries.
Leave some contact details-phone or email- and I'll get in touch - if u want? And btw - it's for free. I don't want or expect anything.

If not already then u need to get listed on Google My Business and verify your listing which is done with a code sent to u in the post.
Also claim free listings on Bing (same verification process). They'll still list you once they find you but better to verify and have complete details on there. It is definitely worth ranking well on Yahoo and Bing although Google is by far the biggest referral source,but even so I get about 60-70 clicks onto my site from those 2 per month.
Also claim free listing on Yell,Yelp and Freeindex.
Also consider Scoot,Thompson Local and 192.com amongst others.
The amount of work / traffic they bring is minimal in my experience - about 8-10 clicks/month - and almost entirely from Yell and Freeindex. But any extra work they may generate is a bonus and more importantly some allow you to include a free link to your site. Also everywhere you appear on the web is called a citation ,and external links and citations were the 2 top ranking factors for local SEO in 2016 . It is believed their importance may be less now or in near future but they are still very important. It was the case that the more listings you appeared on the better but now it's quality over quantity and the ones stated are the most reputable and have the greatest authority/relevance. They also allow for customer reviews which adds to their importance.
Search engines also crawl these sites for info about you
Make sure your name,address and phone number are consistent on all listings.
Write unique business description for each and optimise with relevant keywords for your services ,i.e. driveway cleaning/block paving cleaning/patio cleaning/pressure washing/cleaning services/power washing/jet washing etc. And yes we know the difference between pressure/jet washing but a lot of customers don't distinguish between the 2 and jet washing has quite high search volume.
Do keyword research.
As and when u get customers encourage them to leave positive reviews,ideally on Google but if not Yell etc.

All this is important and will help and Google listing is essential. But your website needs to be properly optimised throughout and have decent content.
Anyway,if u want help with that let me know.

Stoots

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 07:22:54 am »
Website is all well and good but only if the search volume is there for the keywords you are targetting.

In my area driveway cleaning/pressure washing is no where near that of windie and carpet cleaning and as such have always struggled with getting a huge deal of work for drives etc.

The problem is it takes many years and a huge marketting push to start any business.

Personally I think to  start from nothing cleaning drives hoping to get enough work year round from it alone is hugely ambitious at least for a few years.

I Think a window cleaning round is the best way in. Get a customer base where you can offer add ons and once you have a stable reliable income it gives you a good platform to branch out into other areas.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 07:47:41 am »
I agree with Adam about websites I have 2 website which are on the 1st page of Google for all the important keywords but I get little work from them and the Inquiries  I get are from the poorer section  of society  who want work done for peanuts ( this is domestic customers) the search volume for pressure washing is also very low.

Websites also bring in enquiries from places I don't want to work eg: too far away or poor areas. This week I will be contacting my website designer to quote  a minimum price on my pressure washing sites to stop the cheap enquiries, I also have 2 carpet cleaning websites on the 1st page of Google which I'm going to put a statement on the home page saying we are not accepting any new clients at the moment, existing & recommends can call us but no new customers.

I disagree with Adam about how long it takes to be successful, I believe I could move to any place in England and within 4 weeks be running a successful pressure washing bussiness.

I get 98% of my new work from leaflets, at the moment I'm working a 6 day week and giving away  crappy small jobs I don't want to do........this is All work from leaflets.

To speak waffling for a minute..... I read a quote years ago that said.........'work out the cost of success, and pay that price'  and this is the problem with people, they won't pay the cost of success with leaflets. People want the easy route (which often is sat behind thier computer paying for Adwords or tinkering with their website.) Walking out the front door every day with a bag of leaflets, is not the easy option.

It's all about the numbers..... if enough leaflets go through letterboxes then success is gaurenteed
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 08:38:35 am »
Do you also put out ad boards after a job is completed Mike?
That's another effective passive form of localized marketing. 

Not to mention offering free (stencil) test patches when knocking doors. At least they won't forget yer firms name and contact details for a while. Nor will  peeps in the street either for that matter lol

Del Boy

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 03:19:31 pm »
Thank you all for your replies guys, here is a link to my website http://www.1stchoicedrivecare.co.uk I have managed to get onto page 1 of google already so hopefully I should soon start to get some work from it.

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 09:00:21 pm »
£40 quid on adwords last month..

over 6000 serches..

from that 10... yes 10 website views

from that 1 phonecall who rang 4 other businesses...

I spent 10 quid on the local car boot sale for a pitch, sold some stuff..
11 enquiries about carpet cleaning
5 enquiries about pressure washing
1 booked in (80 quid)..

sold 220 quid worth of stuff on the car boot

M Roberts

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 06:47:10 am »
just wondered how busy some of you guys was when you first set up your business, ive done a couple of jobs but nothing to write home about. Been delivering flyers also but nothing has come from them yet, maybe its just the time of year and because I have  just set up or is there something else I could be doing to help speed things up.

Thanks in advance.
When we started we used yellow pages, from memory paid around £6K a year to bring in work, back then it used to work well.
This is the reason so many guys add on pressure washing expecting instant results and fail in the first year, stick with it use all forms of advertising marketing as listed above, local parish mags used to work well but maybe too late in the year to join.
Fliers and lots and lots of them maybe your best route ?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 07:48:37 am »
For a long time I used Gumtree to find young people (17-21) to deliver my leaflets I offered them a Saturday &  Sunday  Job for 4hrs (2hrs then a break then another 2 hrs, not a 4 hour stretch) used to take 4 out at once in my car. I leafleted all the nice villages. This worked really well, I would take it in turns one weekend I would take them the next my son would drop them off.  Now I do them myself with my helper

Just for your interest this is a proof of the leaflet I use, its a folded leaflet the top photos are the front and back the bottom the middle spread,

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

mobile

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:25:23 am »
keiron

im just about to launch and finishing my website off - wouldn't mind a quick review of it from you if possible.

drop me a mail ian@chilternexteriorcleaningservices.co.uk

Thx

Darren Nationwide

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 03:13:15 pm »
Nice designed leaflet that showing before and after pictures, we find works for ourselves comes through many avenues but its fair to say its best to try as many platforms as possible before finding what works for yourself, reviews reviews and online reviews are essential as often before a client calls anyone they look for any reviews online in my opinion - Darren Nationwide UK Cleaning Limited (Nationwide provider for all your cleaning needs) www.nationwideukcleaning.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 06:25:23 pm »
I've read a lot on your success with leaflets Mike. But my experience has never been the same.

I've recently had 8k wondow cleaning  leaflets delivered by a company and had only 4 calls a week later. I think that's a shocking return.

Maybe most didn't get delivered or perhaps they need to be solo for best effect?

Smurf

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 07:25:28 pm »
Nice designed leaflet that showing before and after pictures, we find works for ourselves comes through many avenues but its fair to say its best to try as many platforms as possible before finding what works for yourself, reviews reviews and online reviews are essential as often before a client calls anyone they look for any reviews online in my opinion - Darren Nationwide UK Cleaning Limited (Nationwide provider for all your cleaning needs) www.nationwideukcleaning.co.uk

Think you forgot to mention spamming on forums. lol