« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 09:26:49 pm »
Bear

350 ppm

Rob ;D

williamx

Re: Soft water WFP
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2005, 12:46:55 am »
The Bear

I have designed a trolley system which should cover all cleans that a window cleaner will come across.

It should be able to do this faster and more efficent than other trolley systems on the market, at the moment I am road testing it, but I have found that I am doing 20% - 30% more houses than I use to in the same period of time.

The system is a di unit with a retail price of £1000 but this does include delivery and a full days training.

It should be ready for sale in around 3 weeks.

brett walker

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2005, 01:35:56 am »
 :)  Williamx
 Have you got any pictures of the trolly that you could show  us yet?

Thanks Brett

Philip Hanson

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2005, 02:23:42 am »
I have to say this, as I am seeing some unbelievable sights on ebay of late.

I'm all for free enterprise, and I think its definately a great thing to see so many window cleaners taking up WFP and getting systems.  But some of those which are being offered for sale are, to be totally honest an insult to window cleaners.

Take, for example, this system for sale on ebay:

What we have here is
a collabsible sack truck from Machine Mart (£30)
a few 25litre cannisters (about £10 each)
an RO unit intended for use for fish keeping (about £200)
A 360 Litre water butt (about £30 from B&Q)
A battery and charger costing about £30
A couple of pumps costing about £100
and some bits of hose

This "system" (and to call it a 'system' really is stretching the definition of the word) is being sold for £949.  I'm sorry, but I really do think that is absolutely ridiculous.

Matt's DIY site has shown us very well that if this is the sort of thing you want to get you started, then getting these simple items together yourself is not that difficult.

Come on, I think that  this a bandwagon that is well and truly out of control.  Whoever cobbles this stuff together and calls it a "system" for almost a thousand quid is surely, having a laugh.  (And at our expense)

Sorry, but I think that to sell stuff like this is simply a joke.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

The Bear

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005, 05:55:06 am »
I appreciate your advice Phillip, I agree with you, if you want to start basic, there seems little point buying a "system" as pictured below. With the advice on this site and Matt's, it seems reasonably straight forward to get something together DIY.

Sadly, I don't have the finances to buy retail, so DIY looks my quickest option, to get started.

Before I started my own business, I was working in a bakery for what then would have been minimum wage.

I realised if I was ever going to be able to support a family, I needed to do something else.

When I started window cleaning, I had a ladder, bucket, applicator, squeege and 4 scrim. And 8 houses to clean.

Back then I didn't have the finances to buy a ready made round, I had to build it up from scratch, as many others here did.

The equipment I had was suffficient to do the job, and, as time went by, my equipment and proffesionalism increased.

I think I am now at the same junction in life, I need to move forward, but can't afford to buy a ready made "labled " system.

Starting basic is my only option. Who knows what will happen in the future, but for now, I know my limitations.

QUESTION ??????????

What on the system below, or on Matt's advice, needs improvement??

williamx

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 12:59:24 pm »
How to you put pictures on this site

The Bear

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2005, 01:09:10 pm »
When you write your message, go to Additional Options, click browse and find th picture you wont to upload.

williamx

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2005, 01:19:55 pm »
Many thanks the pictures will be displayed soon

matt

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2005, 05:06:55 pm »

QUESTION ??????????

What on the system below, or on Matt's advice, needs improvement??

personally i say nothing, as its been tweaked and tweaked by others, i wasnt the first to go DIY, a few others did it B4 me, i remmber when i was looking into it, i must have bored Jeff B and Philip to tears with the constant questions, in the end i worked out what was wanted and away i went

the only thing on the system on the DIY site that is Below par (when i say Below par its the quanity of water, just 60 Gall's of water a day) this works great for me, others fidn they need a little more, dont ask me why ?? ?? ? ?? so if you have extra money, get a 100 Gall unit

thats it really, same pump, same pure water, same brush head

The Bear

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2005, 06:13:54 pm »
I guess what Phillip is saying is, if tthis is what you want, sorce it yourself.

By the way, I think Tosh may be thinking of batting for the other side as well.

Perfectly Clean

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2005, 06:42:19 pm »
Hi, I brought my WFP from a chap on ebay....Very impressed, this is only a DI unit but because of the soft water it seems to be ok.

If you want his details I can give you an email address...He is very good...But then you can build one yourself im just not that clever...

matt

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2005, 07:15:28 pm »

Matt's DIY site has shown us very well that if this is the sort of thing you want to get you started, then getting these simple items together yourself is not that difficult.

why thank you philip, though i do blame you and Jeff  ;D ;D

i just did the site as people were posting the same questions that i did a year ago, then other have, so why not have them all in 1 place with a simple guide, as you know, some havent been happy with it, but thats life

Philip Hanson

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2005, 08:12:51 pm »
Heh yes we've all been there!  I remember when I was constructing my own backpack system, me and matt exchanged a good few ideas.

Speaking from my own experience, there wasn't a system available that fit my needs at the time (a backpack), so I built one myself.  Now, however, there are systems that you can buy that are cheaper and more pro-looking than my constructed one, and if I was doing it now I'd just buy one.

The problem as I see it, is that there are a number of "systems" for sale which are, lets face it, cobbled together bits of 'junk' that nobody should ever buy, like that one I put the picture of above.  The only reason people actually do buy them is because there is sometimes a lack of knowledge amongst window cleaners.

Having said that, there are some great little residential systems around, and one of them is the Omnitrolley.  The only problem is that 50 litres is a bit on the heavy side to be lifting in and out of the van, but of course you don't have to fill it right up.

Water consumption is a tricky area, and most manufacturers take the view that you need about 1.5 litres a minute flowing through the brush.   In my humble opinion, the jets that I have seen fitted to brushes let FAR to much water through (usually in thin squirts).  The best way (as explained to me by Jeff Brimble) is to use spray jets that allow a really good flow of water over the glass, but only use abou 0.75 litres per minute.  When I have lent my modified poles out to other people, they can't believe how good they are and how much less water is needed.

Doing this greatly reduces the size of the system you need, and I believe that for 1 person for 1 day, 150 litres is more than enough.  If you can put something together yourself and make it look pro, then more power to you!  its a good way to start off, and eventually when you're ready to buy a manufactured system you'll have a much better idea of what you need.

A word of caustion though, I recently met a window cleaner who had installed a 400 litre tank into his van, up against the bulkhead.  Now the bulkhead had dented inward in the shape of the tank, and that was just from the normal braking action.  I dread to think what would happen in the case of a shunt.  My advice in this area, and I genuinely mean this with window cleaners interests at heart, is if you are going to install a tank yourself, put it into a trailer, rather than in the back of your van.  Its only a matter of time before somebody is squashed to death or badly injured by this type of accident, and even after all the debate and contraversy, the manufacturers (even otherwise reputable ones) are just not taking this seriously.  I have seen some installations by well regarded manufacturers that have practically no integrity at all, and would break free even from a 10mph shunt.

All in all, I think that everyday window cleaners are fast waking up to the benefits of water fed pole, and thats a really great thing.  It doesn't cost that much to get a system of some kind, and really, with the increased speed of working, there's no reason not to in my opinion!

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2005, 08:51:30 pm »
Hi The bear,
don't know if this is of any use to you but I live in the Cannock area, and would be more than happy to help you put together a system, I recon that you could buy the bits for a less than £900 ( all from well established suppliers (with  Guarantees ) too many sharks on e-bay these days, (my fee £0.00)

www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

The Bear

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2005, 06:09:29 pm »
I'm selling the idea to my wife and to my work partner, the wife at first didn't think it a good idea, but is comming round. "if your going to do it, do it properly, no Heath Robinson stuff".

Work partner needs to see it in action, but is getting excited about being able to justify buying a Twin Cab pick up.

i told him if he buys the Twin cab, i'll buy the pole system.

I await his comments