Seriously get RID of your LADDERS
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:41:42 pm »
 :o
I met a W/C today by the name of Ralph, 70 years old and retired!

"I still do a bit to keep my hand in!" he said

He asked why I used pole system... told him "Health & Safety"  8-)

He tells me he fell of his ladder 8 months ago
Couldn't go backwards... Greenhouse, so I slid down the ladder!
THE SIDE OF THE LADDER OPENED HIS FOREARM UP ON THE INSIDE... SPINNING AROUND TO THE FRONT(BACK) OF HIS HAND WHERE IT EXITED... almost lost his hand!
"They managed to save the hand" he said
It looked like spaghetti junction white scars everywhere, with a nice lump of grizzle on the back!
Made me sick to look at it!  :-[

Seriously get rid of those ladders!  >:( :o 8-)

Captain Scarlet

Re: Seriously get RID of your LADDERS
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:47:07 pm »
I dont even carry one! Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

simon knight

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:49:30 pm »

Seriously get rid of those ladders!  >:( :o 8-)

Yeah, OK...I'll ditch my ladders and sign on tomorrow!

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:55:51 pm »
When I say I'm ladders free, I mean it.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:11:53 pm »
Dont use ladders at all.

poleman

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 07:26:09 pm »
100% ladder free and loving it  ;D ;D ;D ladders kill in the wrong hands

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:33:12 pm »
at that age he shouldnt have been on ladders,my dads an ex w/c and i took his ladders off him before he was seventy.ladders are safe in the right hands,you are just scaremainerying.

No I genuinely believe ladder-less w/c is safer and beneficial for all concerned!
 ::)
Ask any insurance agency for the statistics on ladder falls in the UK over the last Three years!
Insurance premiums (proper one's) prove their concern's and are reflected in the price! :o

MJH

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 07:43:52 pm »
Wfp is clearly safer than ladders, however as stated if correctly used with ladder stops etc etc they are safe and essential for certain jobs!!! i wouldn't dream of going out in my van without mine!!!!
Been cleaning 5 years and i hve never fallen, touch wood!!!!!!!
I will never get rid!!

m b shaw

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 07:46:16 pm »
the daft thing is custermers don t really mind once you explain the safety issues.you don t have to go wfp if you can t or don t want to.we started using extention poles years ago and never lost a customer,sorry just one who said the windows are fine but i like to see you earn your money.please don t fall off just to earn money ,family and life are to precious.   cheers mick

cvdewsbury

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 07:49:46 pm »
Get yourself a pair of safety spikes on the bottom of your ladders

Rubber mits on the top

Have a safe working practice

Work in a two man team as you will always need ladders holding

Bobs your uncle!

JUST ANOTHER THOUGHT.....in relation to my last point I wonder what percentage of those who have injured themselves have been lone workers...again you will always need ladders holding work in a 2 man team..

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 08:25:48 pm »
Accidents happen. They happen because of some failure by the user. I presume we are all vehicle drivers on here and how many times have we had or nearly had an accident and why was that?
As long as the equipment is in good condition and you follow some basic rules you will be ok.
Some years back I had a few minor accidents and on each occassion it was my fault through the wrong angles or over reaching.
We probably use ladders now on less than 5% of all work because it is the only way the job can be done, unless we wanted to erect a 12 foot staffold tower once a month on a village location with 1700's leaded glass.

groundhog

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 12:44:28 am »

at that age he shouldnt have been on ladders,my dads an ex w/c and i took his ladders off him before he was seventy.

I'd like to see you take my Dad's ladders off him!!! He's a 75 year old builder who's used ladders most days since he was 15 years of age!

Driving a car is far more dangerous than using a ladder (properly) but you won't stop driving your car will you?  ;)

mci services

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 12:58:09 am »
my old man was still on the ladders till till he was 70 it kept him fit only stopped because hes got parkinons its not the ladder thats dangerous its the user but that being said he sees the the advantage of wfp and encourages it

Londoner

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 07:04:59 am »
The trouble is that the more times you do something the risk is multiplied. A window cleaner will move and climb, move and climb. So eventually you WILL find that bit of dodgy ground or the difficult stretch that catches you out. If every house was perfect you might be in with a chance but we all know they are not.

Even though the chances of falling off may be very small, if you take that chance enough times the odds are going come up eventually.

simon knight

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 07:14:50 am »

Morning Vince, I agree, statistics say that eventually you MUST come off your ladders.  But by the same formula statistically you MUST have a car crash...but we still drive.

Londoner

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 07:34:54 am »
Morning Simon, I agree with you. As a long term taxi driver I have had more than my fair share of  road accidents, mostly involving people with no insurance.

Part of the reason I am cleaning windows is because I wanted to get away from all the stress and hassle of owning and driving a taxi.

My point is you may not be able to eliminate risk entirely but you can make choices.

simon knight

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 08:16:19 am »

I have no choice but to use ladders unfortunately.

Anyway work beckons...gonna pee down methinks.

barry80

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:23:36 am »
I love ladders. :)
hello.

gary999

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 11:01:36 am »
I love ladders. :)

ahhhh thats nice :) although i personally prefer to love something of
the female persuasion... each to there own ;D

oh yeah ladders dont kill its normally the idiot using them
i have fell off once tore ligaments in leg was lucky when looking back
but was using incorrectly so was asking for trouble!! :(

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 01:25:10 pm »
 >:( >:( >:(
I have a friend who still uses ladders, works much harder than me
(because he is so slow!)

He is slightly older than me 47 I think and weighs around 17-18 stone
(on a good day  ;D )

The Ladder's he uses are not professional but from a DIY store!
My point...
Take a look at the "I-Beam" type ladders and just look at the flimsy support you have! :o

By their design ladders are not supposed to be a too large an angle away from the wall!

I have seen loads of people walking up at a ridiculous angle (footed by car/spikes/sand-bags etc )
It's a very small piece of aluminum that's keeping you up!  :o
My advice;
If you use ladders at the very least BUY GOOD ONE'S!  ::)

I have another friend who bought a good trade standard ladder... only to return them, because they were "TOO HEAVY"  ??? ??? ???

Life is too important! 8)