MJH

Fire hydrants!!
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:28:14 pm »
i think thats what there called!! anyone fill there tanks with these? is it possible? i believe its legal!!

Jeff Brimble

Re: Fire hydrants!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:35:48 pm »
Do a search for a topic by member Bullstopshere about 2 years ago he had us all going. And post the link back here it was a cracking topic.

poleman

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:37:13 pm »
YES we did some time age, you need to speak with your local water company, and get a standpipe licence, then you can use as much water as you like, make sure you get strong keys! some hydrants haven't been used in years

Andy

MJH

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:37:39 pm »
Do a search for a topic by member Bullstopshere about 2 years ago he had us all going. And post the link back here it was a cracking topic.
Jeff, will have a go  quite sure how you do that!

MJH

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:40:55 pm »
YES we did some time age, you need to speak with your local water company, and get a standpipe licence, then you can use as much water as you like, make sure you get strong keys! some hydrants haven't been used in years

Andy

Does this cost mate? im sure one could get around that!

poleman

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:41:19 pm »
If you drive down any road in the UK your see a sign like this! this is where you can fill up 

poleman

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 08:44:24 pm »

Andy

Does this cost mate? im sure one could get around that!

It does cost, but that will depend on your water company, give them a ring, I know my licence wasn't cheap, but it covered me for when I cant fill up (stop gap)

Andy

MJH

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 08:45:16 pm »
interesting there is on one my street, might pop out in a min, is the pressure the same for tank filling :o! Stand pipe thats what i meant ::)

poleman

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 08:48:01 pm »
Put it this way! they are made to put out house fires! so bloody fast  ;) (user beware)

Andy

MJH

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 08:53:45 pm »
Put it this way! they are made to put out house fires! so bloody fast  ;) (user beware)

Andy

sounds like it could take your head off, so i have read the previous thread and am guessing a hydrant would be to powerful to go through RO it would probably launch it out the van by the sound of it!

poleman

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:03:36 pm »
We used 40 40 ROs and it was fine, you can turn the hydrant down

Andy

MJH

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 09:10:47 pm »
We used 40 40 ROs and it was fine, you can turn the hydrant down

Andy
Thats what i have, im on a water meter so this could be a big bonus for me, im fed up with big water bills!!

Thanks
Matt

Andy@w.c.s

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 09:51:24 pm »
A word of warning guys
when you crack open the main all the sh8t in the pipe that has been lying there for years is stirred up you will get a brown slug out first
i know this as a ex retained fire fighter who used too check the hydrants in our local area
there is also a down side as if the house that the hydrant is outside is using water the cold water tank become cloudy and we often had complaints after an area was checked
these are not on a separate supply they  just have a larger outlet for the water to be used at a greater volume 

MJH

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 10:04:29 pm »
Whats the rough cost of a licence then or shall i just crank one open!! :-X

Andy@w.c.s

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 10:17:25 pm »
Never bought one never needed to

WCE

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 11:28:17 pm »
Just a word of warning I have just received a letter from Thames water warning me that they intend to to take legal action against me for the illegal use of a fire hydrant. The thing is i have never used a hydrant in my life  (I have a static r/o unit with storage tank) The other strange thing is that in my area Severn Trent are responsible for both mains supply and sewage matters but the letter has an air of being a standard letter that they've sent out to window cleaners. I wondered if they had got my details through the yellow pages or off the internet and they were just trying to use scare tactics to catch me if I was using hydrants. Whatever the case I have tried ringing them to clarify the situation but the number they give just goes to  a permanent answerphone and therefore (despite leaving messages) I have no reason as to why they have written to me. Whatever the case it has certainly made me think twice about the possible use of a hydrant. By the way the letter makes no mention of the actual cost of the license. Does anyone actually know how much one costs?     
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

poleman

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 11:38:28 pm »
YES in my licence it did say you could be fine up to 2k! if you didnt have one, the cost for my license was about 30 pounds a month, I think. best to speak with your local water company, as I am sure it will differ between each water companies

Andy

MJH

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:16 am »
Just a word of warning I have just received a letter from Thames water warning me that they intend to to take legal action against me for the illegal use of a fire hydrant. The thing is i have never used a hydrant in my life  (I have a static r/o unit with storage tank) The other strange thing is that in my area Severn Trent are responsible for both mains supply and sewage matters but the letter has an air of being a standard letter that they've sent out to window cleaners. I wondered if they had got my details through the yellow pages or off the internet and they were just trying to use scare tactics to catch me if I was using hydrants. Whatever the case I have tried ringing them to clarify the situation but the number they give just goes to  a permanent answerphone and therefore (despite leaving messages) I have no reason as to why they have written to me. Whatever the case it has certainly made me think twice about the possible use of a hydrant. By the way the letter makes no mention of the actual cost of the license. Does anyone actually know how much one costs?     

thats slander they can't make accusations without evidence, muppets! You could do them!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 10:12:38 am »

thats slander they can't make accusations without evidence, muppets! You could do them!

There is slander and there is libel.  Generally slander is spoken and libel is written (though there are some exceptions to this).  However, the letter quoted above is neither.  It would only be potentially libellous if they wrote the letter to a third party accusing him of it.  I believe I could write to you in a closed envelope accusing you of all manner of things but that would not be libel.  It might be harassment that that's another matter entirely.
The other question is "What am I doing cleaning windows when I should be training as a lawyer?"   ;D

MJH

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 10:27:24 am »

There is slander and there is libel.  Generally slander is spoken and libel is written (though there are some exceptions to this).  However, the letter quoted above is neither.  It would only be potentially libellous if they wrote the letter to a third party accusing him of it.  I believe I could write to you in a closed envelope accusing you of all manner of things but that would not be libel.  It might be harassment that that's another matter entirely.
The other question is "What am I doing cleaning windows when I should be training as a lawyer?"   ;D

if its neither of the above its bloody unprofessional, if you wrote to the water board in that manner im sure they would have something to say

Paul Coleman

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 02:19:24 pm »

if its neither of the above its bloody unprofessional, if you wrote to the water board in that manner im sure they would have something to say

I totally agree.  It's outrageous.  In fact, it's so outrageous, I wondered if it was actually someone doing a spoof.

gsw

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 06:27:31 pm »
does anyone know:

if having a licence and using hydrants to fill avoids the hosepipe ban as and when it comes?

with the increased pressure poleman how long does it take to fill a 600l tank through a 40 40 ? roughly

thanks

WCE

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 11:17:29 am »
Well shiner I wondered if it was the a spoof myself but if you ring the number listed it is a Thames water number. Has anyone else received one? Whatever their reasons for writing and weather it is slander or libel. It certainly is unprofessional.       
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

MJH

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 01:28:09 pm »
You could always reply in writing F. OFF springs to mind :-X

poleman

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 02:17:14 pm »
does anyone know:

if having a licence and using hydrants to fill avoids the hosepipe ban as and when it comes?

with the increased pressure poleman how long does it take to fill a 600l tank through a 40 40 ? roughly

thanks

We had a 160 psi pump and think it would take 2 hours (I think) we stop for lunch (hour or so) and fill up so never really filled a 1000lts just keep it topped up, be honest with you! it was a pain, if you wont to beat a WFP ban, set up a rain harvest

Andy

williamx

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 04:57:39 pm »
Just a word of warning I have just received a letter from Thames water warning me that they intend to to take legal action against me for the illegal use of a fire hydrant. The thing is i have never used a hydrant in my life  (I have a static r/o unit with storage tank) The other strange thing is that in my area Severn Trent are responsible for both mains supply and sewage matters but the letter has an air of being a standard letter that they've sent out to window cleaners.    

I think that the letter is a hoax, because why would Thames Water write to you when you are a Severn Trent Customer.

Send the letter to OFWAT, they will some sort it out with Thames water if they are responsible, and they don't have proof that you are breaking the law.

cbcs

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 05:01:34 pm »
Using a F/H (Fire Hydrant) is illegal.

You get issued with a licence so you can use a W/O (Wash out hydrant) not a F/H.

I pay £1.82 per day for my licence anywhere in Yorkshire.

Simply Clean Windows

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 05:10:19 pm »
I received the same letter from thames water about 3 weeks ago,i just filed it, i dont use fire hydrants to fill up,so it does not effect me,they are just warning people that they will take legal action against anyone who uses a fire hydrant without a license.

Malcolm

Paul Coleman

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 05:43:11 pm »
I received the same letter from thames water about 3 weeks ago,i just filed it, i dont use fire hydrants to fill up,so it does not effect me,they are just warning people that they will take legal action against anyone who uses a fire hydrant without a license.

Malcolm

If I used Thames Water for my RO, it would take quite a lot of filtering because although I don't get my water supply from them, they do take my sewage.  Quite appropriate really as it sounds like they are full of certain stuff.

gsw

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 06:37:11 pm »
Using a F/H (Fire Hydrant) is illegal.

You get issued with a licence so you can use a W/O (Wash out hydrant) not a F/H.

I pay £1.82 per day for my licence anywhere in Yorkshire.

I only have 300 l tank fitted at the moment and can just about make this last me a day! so if I were to start filling from W/O as you suggest how easy is it and how fast could i fill it? I am thinking that I can up my flow rate for work so that I can work faster and not have to worry about conserving water at every possible instance!!! I assume you let your waste water from the 40 40 just run off down the drain whilst filling.

all help from W/O fillers welcome!!!! before I buy a new van and a bigger tank!!

cheers
Greg

poleman

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 06:47:59 pm »
I use to fill up from a hydrant! (as I have stated above) and it was a pain, for me it was a stop gap, then I got a static system, much better then sat in the van and it use to p*** of the residents as it use to drop the water pressure in the road!

Andy

gsw

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 06:53:52 pm »
cheers Andy, just trying to work out the most cost effective solution, on a meter at home and 300 l just isn't enough for all day. so it may have to be a bigger van after all!!!

poleman

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 06:57:28 pm »
No pros, it was just a pain, some times we spent a hour or so just looking for a hydrant that we could open, as some had not been opened for years

Andy

williamx

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 09:00:54 pm »
cheers Andy, just trying to work out the most cost effective solution, on a meter at home and 300 l just isn't enough for all day. so it may have to be a bigger van after all!!!

Why don't you take a couple of di tanks with you and fill up at some customers homes, with their permission of course.

clunk1977

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 11:51:44 am »
hi all i window cleaning trad at moment in my four days off from work and my other job is on the tanker jetters working for anglian water we use hydrants that have been assinged to us as we can fill a 2000 gallon tank in 15 minutes.

as regards standpipes we get charged for rental of a proper anglian water issued hydrant plus daily usage.

would strongly recommend not using any old hydrant as those water guys check up on us regular and can be quite an arsy bunch

cheers clunk

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 07:39:38 pm »
I remember the last time we discussed this topic, it went on for weeks, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

MJH

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 08:42:13 pm »

And im still unsure if its worthwhile!! ??? ???

poleman

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 09:09:44 pm »

And im still unsure if its worthwhile!! ??? ???

From someone that has used a hydrant to fill up, its a pain in the ass and is not worth it, for me it was just a stop gap, to I got a static system

Andy