Dean Aspects

George systems
« on: August 08, 2007, 05:24:28 pm »
Is their any way that on the first page that opens you can change the financial year as it currently does from jan- dec but my year is april-may and would like to change it to this

Thanks

Dean

Chris Cottrell

Re: George systems
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 07:15:32 pm »
If you hover your curser over the bottom were it says 2007/08 you will see its actually a button .. press it and set you tax yr

Chris

Dean Aspects

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 07:35:51 pm »
Done it thanks Chris
That was bugging me >:(

Dean

Dean Aspects

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 09:28:30 pm »
I think internet backup is for if the computer you have george on it crashes and you lose the information and also if you change computers
My understanding of it is you then email George and they will send you over the net all your information although i could be wrong as i have never done this myself
 I save all my info onto a memory stick now as i needed to reboot my computer after getting a virus and would have lost all the info

Dean

George Systems

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:04:45 pm »
Hi Guys

If you lose your PC for whatever reason you just install the latest demo version of George and the Data Restore program from our website and then eMail us.

We will send you your last backup and you will be up and running in a few minutes.

Don't you wish all your other software did that?

Paul

Spiceworld

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 10:43:36 pm »
I do wish that your software would allow to do a job weekly and only get paid monthly.

When it does let me know and i'll buy a copy  ;)

Richard

dave0123

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:20:15 pm »
I do wish that your software would allow to do a job weekly and only get paid monthly.

When it does let me know and i'll buy a copy 

It does in a way!!

If you do the job then dont tick paid then at the end of the month invoice your customer for the 4 cleans if it was every week cleaned... Thats how i do it simple

And when u click on to debts all my invoced work is in > invoiced items <

I was lucky enuf to start using George when i first started so i havent kept paper details of jobs ever in my life.. but i deffently know id would be one big headache for me sorting everything out etc.

Dave
Dave.

George Systems

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 01:53:06 am »
Hi Richard

I don't know what you mean - when you get paid has nothing to do with how often you do the job....

Paul

Spiceworld

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 07:05:29 am »
Hi

As per quote below - it just seems messy at present and for me it needs sorting better. It may be just me wanting perfection but thats the way i work  ;)

Maybe it will never do what i need or want but no harm in keep asking  :)

Richard

Take the following job as an example:

Shop front   = £4.00 per clean x twice a week
Shop inside = £4.00 per clean x once per month
Shop fascia = £10.00 per clean once per month

Monthly bill = £46.00

So what i have to do then is split the monthly payment into 4 equal payments and enter into George and remember once every 4 weeks to invoice it?

Seems a bit long winded and a lot of remembering to do, plus my customer would wonder why he is getting a bill split down into 4 x £11.50 weekly cleans, when it should be 4 x £8.00 weekly cleans, an inside clean @ £4.00 and a fascia clean @ £10.00, Total £46.00

Is that the only way of doing it or again am i missing something more simple? Or is it more suited to Residential cleaning?

Cheers Richard

dave0123

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 12:16:35 pm »
Why dont you enter 3 jobs for it??

Shop front - would be one
Shop inside- 2
Shop facia - 3

they will all come up due when there sposed to as well the twice per week one and the monthly 2gether.

And i thinkk you can add them all into one invoice as well.. I think am sure paul will correct me if am wrong.

Dave
Dave.

Spiceworld

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 12:32:24 pm »
Hi

As with everything in live there are always ways to compromise and just make do (which we good people in the UK are always prepared to do).

But we shouldn't have to and there should be a way of doing it on 1 job, after all it is only 1 job at the end of the day (or month  ;) )

For me George just needs a little more than it has. I hate to compromise. One day it might have and that will be the day i buy it. I wouldn't mind a higher price, if it did what i wanted it to do.

Richard

George Systems

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 01:49:46 pm »
Hi Richard

George will almost certainly do that one day - but for now it seems to do most of what our users want.

I would point out that none of our competitors can do it either...

Paul

Trevor Knight

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 02:39:47 pm »
Hi

As with everything in live there are always ways to compromise and just make do (which we good people in the UK are always prepared to do).

But we shouldn't have to and there should be a way of doing it on 1 job, after all it is only 1 job at the end of the day (or month  ;) )

For me George just needs a little more than it has. I hate to compromise. One day it might have and that will be the day i buy it. I wouldn't mind a higher price, if it did what i wanted it to do.

Richard

This is what you want to use: http://www.insightdirect.com/
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Spiceworld

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 03:28:49 pm »

Hi Richard

George will almost certainly do that one day - but for now it seems to do most of what our users want.

I would point out that none of our competitors can do it either...

Paul

Just because your competitors software can't do it doesn't mean it's not required  :-\

Can i just ask if its because you can't do it or won't do it as nobody has asked and all that do use it are prepared to "Compromise". I just don't believe that i should enter a customer into it 3 times as different jobs, thats all!

Not having a go just need something that does what i want and not what someone thinks i want it to do.

Cheers anyway.

Richard

George Systems

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 04:03:37 pm »
Hi Richard

Yes I can do it.

Actually, I've already done it - but there are a number of other major internal changes required and I just don't have time to do them at the moment.

It will also require a re-write of PocketGeorge and I don't have time for that either.

If I could wangle 3 or 4 weeks off work I could do it all - but that's not going to happen...

Paul

Roy Harding

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 04:45:12 pm »
[/qoute]
This is what you want to use: http://www.insightdirect.com/

How much is service ceo Trevor?

Roy

Trevor Knight

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 04:47:13 pm »
Works out at about £1,500 depending on number of users.

Roy Harding

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 04:47:53 pm »
Thanks Trevor

Roy

Spiceworld

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 05:08:57 pm »
Works out at about £1,500 depending on number of users.

But for window cleaning it's bloatware. And yes i know it was probably a dig at me on cost and i'm not saying George is expensive for what it does. BUT it could be better and i for one would pay double for it if it had the bits i've talked about.

I haven't looked at your pricing Paul but i take it that you don't charge for updates? But if you did this update and charged a set amount for it most people wouldn't mind. A one off extra payment should be excepted by most people that have it, just because it will make it far easier to use.

Richard

PS As i said before i'm not having a dig at you, i just feel it could work better than it does at present  ;)

George Systems

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 05:39:01 pm »
Hi Richard

I agree it would be a very useful enhancement and I will do it when I get time.

No, we don't currently charge for updates and we intend to keep it that way...

Paul

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 06:30:48 pm »
Hi Paul,

While were on about George when are you gonna fix the debt list so it will order the customers the same as my job list not when I took them on?

And its 1 year since you said allowing different prices on alternative months i.e. conservatory every other month was coming soon.......... are we any closer to that?

Regards

Alistair

Spiceworld

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 08:37:14 pm »
Hi

I do take your point VG Window Cleaners - £50 is nothing if you are going to use it. At present i use the Calendar on Microsoft Outlook, which works great for me, but i would like most of the other functions of George. Microsoft Outlook does what i want it to do with the different jobs, but doesn't tell me the prices, how much i've earnt ect ect.

I just feel that what i have mentioned/asking for is a basic part of window cleaning and i shouldn't have to enter a job 3+ times.

Hi Paul,

While were on about George when are you gonna fix the debt list so it will order the customers the same as my job list not when I took them on?

And its 1 year since you said allowing different prices on alternative months i.e. conservatory every other month was coming soon.......... are we any closer to that?

Regards

Alistair

If i pay my £50 without being happy then the above happens and nothing gets sorted. The same happens if the creator doesn't charge for some of the upgrades. The software just stagnates and then as i have said before you just start to compromise again.

I'm not saying that every little extra has to be charged for but it helps if you are earning something for the time and effort put in.

Just my thoughts take them or leave them, but it can be better as i keep saying.

Richard

Clear Vision

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 09:25:54 pm »
I think george is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are maybe a couple of changes I would like to see but I can live with it.

It's helped me out loads and I couldn't be without it now!

john masterclean

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 11:25:29 pm »
GEORGE RULES........i have emailed a few queries to george recently and always the reply has been prompt and helpfull. if ur not happy with a cheap but quality program dont use it. what must some people be like when there spending £00000's on vans, poles etc. do you go on vans dot com and say i wanted radio 1 tuned in but they didnt no. George is a god send to many people at a great price if it doesnt fit with ur job then dont use it once again GEORGE RULES...

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 11:33:29 pm »
I had to have my hard drive on my computer replaced last week and was very grateful for the George back up facility to restore my data. George is a very good program for the money. It's not perfect, but it's very good and has made life easier for window cleaning. Email support is quick and very helpful as well. Not many software companies are as quick to help you out when the need arises.

supernova77

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 11:54:04 pm »
I do take your point VG Window Cleaners - £50 is nothing if you are going to use it. At present i use the Calendar on Microsoft Outlook, which works great for me, but i would like most of the other functions of George. Microsoft Outlook does what i want it to do with the different jobs, but doesn't tell me the prices, how much i've earnt ect ect.

Richard,

I can't beleive that you're not using George just because it doesn't do one little thing for you that you would like it to do... And then you tell us all that you use the Outlook Calendar?

At the end of the day you would save much more time using George and adding 3+ jobs for 1 customer etc... than farting around with the Outlook calendar  ???

Andy

Spiceworld

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 12:17:05 am »
That's the thing in my mind it isn't "one little thing", it's the backbone of window cleaning. Like i keep saying your all compromising.

The thing is i don't have to "Remember" to invoice or when to do the insides or facsia ect with Outlook. I can add a reminder and it tells me when to invoice or clean inside or check gutters etc etc.

It's nothing complicated that i'm asking for and i can't see why you lot are just compromising. Ok it does the job, but in my opinion it just doesn't do it well and thats why i wouldn't pay for it YET!!

The only reason i want to change now from Outlook is that i'm getting to old to remember all the prices and that is one thing i like about George, but it does need the extras done, as it's everyday cleaning for me to have different things done throughout the month, and i shouldn't have to enter a customer 6 times to achieve that, but i should just be able to pick a job from a drop down list of jobs for that customer.

Don't ask me how to achieve that cos i don't know. Maybe it can't be done and thats why it's not there already. But until somebody tells me it's unachievable, i wouldn't buy it as i would want it. If it can't be done then maybe i will buy it and compromise.

Richard

Paul Coleman

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 06:35:49 am »
GEORGE RULES........i have emailed a few queries to george recently and always the reply has been prompt and helpfull. if ur not happy with a cheap but quality program dont use it. what must some people be like when there spending £00000's on vans, poles etc. do you go on vans dot com and say i wanted radio 1 tuned in but they didnt no. George is a god send to many people at a great price if it doesnt fit with ur job then dont use it once again GEORGE RULES...

I'm don't that George is a good program.  I know that the author regularly answers questions on here.  Although the personal touch is good, maybe that could be its main problem.  I'm wondering if the tech support would be there if the author had, for instance, a severe health problem.  Other programs may have their flaws but they often have newsgroups devoted to their use if needed.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 07:51:39 am »
It's unfair of Trevor to enter a fully fledged business program at thirty times the cost with hardly any extra functionality.

I suggest before you make yourself look stupid take a look at the software and you will see for yourself the abundance of facilities that are offered way and above the ability of George.

I used george for 3 years and can say it's an excellent tool for our trade and would be more than suitable for 75% of the window cleaners out there, but with everything there are limitations of use an this is where CEO takes over.

I didn't push this program, I just gave you the next level up!!!!

If you find £1,500 a lot of money that's fine, we all have our own financial expectations on what we feel is value for money!

dave0123

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 09:25:37 am »
You have also got to remember! even if you would like a few changers in george its still faster and much better than doing it on paper! writting down little notes here and there

I dont seem why adding in 3 jobs is a problem... its going 2 tell u when each one is done you can even put a note saying invoice them now after the last clean of the month or something, so when you print out your work list it will tell you.

Dave
Dave.

Spiceworld

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 09:58:25 am »
Hi

£1500 is a lot of money, but i would buy it if i had 2+ employees and it wasn't bloatware because that is the market it is aimed at.

George on the other hand is aimed at the 1 man band and does a lot of what i would want, but lacks parts that it really should have. ie: 1 customer entry with 10+ or however many jobs are required for that customer linked to it.

Richard

George Systems

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2007, 11:46:38 am »
Hi Richard

I know you think it's important - but how many Window Cleaners do you know that do 10+ different types of work in the same place for the same customer?

Most users only do 1 and some do 2 - insides & outs. Setting up 2 Jobs is not really a big deal for most people.

If you don't need to print an invoice for the job you can just change the price on the occasions you do extra work.

Paul

Spiceworld

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007, 12:23:47 pm »
Hi Paul

Yes i agree that most jobs are probably 1 or 2 jobs per customer, but i will back down and have a good play over the weekend, just so that i can have more valid points on Monday  ;D Only joking. If i can't make it work for me then i will just forget it and continue with what i have.

Can you just tell me how to empty out all the data that i have created to start again from scratch.

Cheers Richard

spotless2000

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2007, 12:42:27 pm »
Hi Paul

Would it be possible to add a search facility to a future version of George?

There are times when I wish to access a particular record to update notes/prices etc. and it would be quicker if I could search for the appropriate customer record by typing in the customer's name.

I would welcome your thoughts.

Cheers

Steve

George Systems

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2007, 01:44:57 pm »
Hi Steve

Click the "Find a Job" button at the top of the screen to search by Name or Address.

Paul

spotless2000

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2007, 03:05:19 pm »
Paul

Thanks, that will save some time.

Steve ;)

Spiceworld

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2007, 03:32:36 pm »

Can you just tell me how to empty out all the data that i have created to start again from scratch.

ASAP and then i can start afresh.

Cheers

George Systems

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2007, 03:39:52 pm »
Hi Richard

The easiest way is to rename the C:\George\GData folder to C:\George\OldData (or similar) and then install the latest demo version.

Paul

Spiceworld

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2007, 04:33:23 pm »
Ok cheers