dazmond

gardiner gooseneck valve.......
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:27:53 pm »
anyone use them?

ive had my 2 univalves for years now but ive noticed the constant pulling (and using hot water)the JG connector keeps coming out of the pole hose at the top of my pole,i tried changing the PU hose,tried loads of connectors and it still keeps happening at least a few times a day...very annoying...also its easy to turn my water on by mistake treading on my pole hose! ::)roll

i soaked one of my customers by mistake last month!luckily she saw the funny side but she had to go and get changed(she was all ready to go out for the afternoon!) ;D

i had a prototype a few years ago and i liked it.......
price higher/work harder!

The Jester of Wibbly

Re: gardiner gooseneck valve.......
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 07:45:16 pm »
Same issue bud.

I had a bad connector with no teeth I had to change.  I also connected to this pushfit rather than just using the hose.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/john-guest-fittings/metric-fittings/push-fit-8mm-stem-to-5mm-barb.html
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:53:54 pm »
anyone use them?

ive had my 2 univalves for years now but ive noticed the constant pulling (and using hot water)the JG connector keeps coming out of the pole hose at the top of my pole,i tried changing the PU hose,tried loads of connectors and it still keeps happening at least a few times a day...very annoying...also its easy to turn my water on by mistake treading on my pole hose! ::)roll

i soaked one of my customers by mistake last month!luckily she saw the funny side but she had to go and get changed(she was all ready to go out for the afternoon!) ;D

i had a prototype a few years ago and i liked it.......

Exceed sell pipe inserts which should stop that. We use them with cold water.
https://ex-ceedinnovation.co.uk/shop/hoses-connectors/tube-strengthening-insert/
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:30:57 pm »
Also worth changing the female jg connector too.  If its ripping out you've probably wrecked the teeth.  It won't get any better no matter what u do.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Stoots

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 09:37:54 pm »
There shouldn't be any pressure on the JG fitting why are you pulling against the fitting ?

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 10:12:00 pm »
I assume you are using the red plastic clips ?
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Shrek

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 10:43:59 pm »
Mines been doing the same recently, in fact my univalve died last week  :'( bought it in January this year.  I tell you what , you don’t know what you’ve got til you’ve lost it! I went back to a tap whilst waiting for a new univalve and what a pita it was using that!! The hose keeps coming out of the JG fitting though which is annoying so iv ordered some new ones of eBay

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 11:48:58 pm »
ive ordered a gooseneck valve with my new xtreme pole...fancied a change.....the univalve has been great but it has its flaws(mainly standing on pole hose or getting it snagged causing it to turn on)or turning it on at height at an awkward angle can be a pain sometimes......

wayne m

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 06:46:58 am »
Red clips in the fitting stops this and also why don’t you put an o clip around the pole hose just as it comes out the top of the pole, that way there is no pressure on the fitting at all

wayne m

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 06:55:10 am »
With the new gooseneck I take it you can’t use a swivel neck because the way you turn it swivel....or can you? I

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 08:05:20 am »
I assume you are using the red plastic clips ?

yes i use the plastic red clips rich.....its not there where the connector keeps coming out......its inside the pole at the top where the JG connector connects to my main pole hose from the gooseneck....

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 08:06:44 am »
Red clips in the fitting stops this and also why don’t you put an o clip around the pole hose just as it comes out the top of the pole, that way there is no pressure on the fitting at all

i do but thats not there where the connector keeps coming loose....its inside the pole at the top

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 08:07:33 am »
With the new gooseneck I take it you can’t use a swivel neck because the way you turn it swivel....or can you? I

no you cant use the valve gooseneck with a swivel...

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 08:14:29 am »
There shouldn't be any pressure on the JG fitting why are you pulling against the fitting ?

its at the top where the connector connects to my main pole hose from the gooseneck INSIDE my pole that keeps coming loose....

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 08:23:38 am »

its at the top where the connector connects to my main pole hose from the gooseneck INSIDE my pole that keeps coming loose....

As said before. Buy another red insert. Not sure why gardeners only supply the one with a new pole when two are ideally needed for both sides of the jg fitting.

Plus replace your jg fitting straight away as that's your problem.   Once it pulls out once its wrecked and won't grip propey again.   

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 08:32:06 am »
Plus you would be best to cut 10mm off each hose end , over time the teeth of the JG wear the OD down
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 08:43:58 am »

As said before. Buy another red insert. Not sure why gardeners only supply the one with a new pole when two are ideally needed for both sides of the jg fitting.

Plus replace your jg fitting straight away as that's your problem.   Once it pulls out once its wrecked and won't grip propey again.

ive never needed the red inserts before because i use PU hot water hose.....i think ive got some knocking about somewhere,ill try and find them,cheers mate....

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 09:07:47 am »
Reading through this thread I notice that those using univalves are also commenting on push-fittings failing.

Whilst many people do modify their poles with a univalve it is good to be aware of the damage that using a univalve can cause to poles, fittings and hose. Most water-fed poles are not used with univalves and are set up for standard use which does not involve hard and repetitive tugging on the pole hose, connections, brush connections and brush jets.

If modifying a pole by fitting a univalve it is advisable to also carry out several other modifications so that the setup can cope with the extra strain - I believe that the makers of the univalve would also advise these extras to be added to prevent pole component damage as they supply components to carry out the other modifications needed (as shown in links below). We do not generally offer advice or guidance on such extra modifications needed as we do not supply or recommend the use of a univalve, but I thought it would be useful to add these points to the conversation.

1. To prevent damage to the brush  jets and connectors a stop should be fitted to the gooseneck hose above the gooseneck exit to prevent it being pulled back into the pole when activating the valve - this prevents the rapid damage that can occur to the brush T connectors and the brush jets. Fitting a red clip on the brush T-connector is not the same and will not prevent this damage. The part that univalve makers sell is https://ex-ceedinnovation.co.uk/shop/tubeless-upgrades/hose-stay/ other things can be used in its place such as a tight O clip etc.

2. Upgrading the hose to PU hose - this prevents the premature failure of PVC hose that can happen with the constant pulling and the hose remaining under pressure throughout its length. Inserts can also be fitted to the PU so that they better cope with the pressure and force applied if fitted to push fittings - https://ex-ceedinnovation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Tube-Insert11-500x501-2.jpg Another tip that has been mentioned is regularly cutting off the last 1cm of pole hose so that a fresh section can engage with the push fitting's teeth.

3. Replacing push fittings with O clipped barb fittings or adding extra stem to barb adapters and O clips. The univalve is supplied with barbed fittings - this is because a push-fitting would not last on the univalve. Therefore it is good to look at the pole setup if fitting a univalve and replace any push fitting in the setup with barbed and O clipped fittings. This would apply to the straight 8mm push fit connector that we supply as standard on the bottom of the orange gooseneck hose. Usually this does not need a stem to barb adapter where the orange hose connects, however when pulling pulled hard it will either need a stem to barb and O clip adding to both sides or replacing with a barbed and O clipped fitting.

Many forum users will already do all of the above I'm sure  :)

Ooooooog

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 10:11:46 am »
Think I just squashed an o ring around the hose as it comes out of the angle adapter. Works fine.

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 10:58:30 am »
as above

I'm still a it confused about Daz's problem - he must bellowing to change his opinion,  as last month the univalve was the best thing since hot water  ;D

Darran

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk