Dave Willis

Anyone had to go to court? New
« on: December 19, 2015, 07:19:04 am »
I witnessed an accident several months ago and gave the woman who's car was hit my business card and told her if she needed a witness give me a ring. She did and I had to make a statement for her insurance company with a little diagram of how it happened.

Solicitors phoned yesterday and want me to go to court in January  :o. I've never heard anything like it - when my van got hit it was sorted both times with no court appearances.

Clever Forum Name

Re: Anyone had to go to court?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 07:24:23 am »
Was she a window cleaner or hit by a window cleaner?

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 07:54:05 am »
I witnessed an accident several months ago and gave the woman who's car was hit my business card and told her if she needed a witness give me a ring. She did and I had to make a statement for her insurance company with a little diagram of how it happened.

Solicitors phoned yesterday and want me to go to court in January  :o. I've never heard anything like it - when my van got hit it was sorted both times with no court appearances.

Yes I have. I was a witness to a hit and run accident.

It's not a big deal. You have done right by giving your name as a witness IMHO. Most people won't. In fact the police came round to the house and asked if I really wanted to go ahead as it could cause me a lot of problems in the future.
I told them I did - it was only vehicle damage this time, but if he gets away with it this time then it maybe a young child next time.

Dress in a suit and tie. You will wait to be called to the stand, swear to tell the truth, answer the questions as asked, then they will excuse you. In my case the defense tried to put a different spin on my statement and answers, but I told them exactly what I'd seen. It was all prepared in advance so I was told exactly what the defense was going to ask me. The defense also knew the questions the prosecution was going to ask. It appeared to be rather staged.

I didn't know the full story but the prosecutor, who I was a witness for accused the driver of having a drink too many at his local high street pub at lunch time (he is a well known drinker in town)  and fled the scene as he was worried about being over the limit and having his driver's license taken away.

Not sure of the judgement as the judge heard his cases in the morning and passed judgement after the lunch break. I was invited back to court for it but didn't as I didn't need to be there. 
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 10:38:14 am »
Its no big deal so don't worry about it.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 01:23:51 pm »
Solar Steve was on here a couple of weeks ago embalming us with his up and coming court appearance regarding a builder who'd dolloped a trowel of cement onto a solar panel.

The outcome of that event is believed to have caused the earth to stop rotating on it's axis. Only SS's evidence can shed more light on the subject and consequently restore the earth to what is customary.

Dave Willis

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 01:56:16 pm »
Two things worry me - I don't own a suit and don't want to give up a days work. Also, don't know if my van will fit in the carpark.

Tom White

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 02:16:54 pm »
Two things worry me - I don't own a suit and don't want to give up a days work. Also, don't know if my van will fit in the carpark.

There are three types of window cleaners:

1.  Window cleaners who can count.
2.  Window cleaners who can't.

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 02:31:38 pm »

If you go as a scruff then you won't be taken seriously. Its going to court because there is a disagreement about how the accident has happened. Someone is fabricating a story  as it  could have a major impact on their no claims bonus.  My wife's accident  has added another £120 (1/3) to my van insurance and will probably do the same to my car insurance even although her no claims was protected.

ChumBucket

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 03:00:55 pm »
Are you beginning to wish you'd just moved on Dave? ;D ;D ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 04:22:35 pm »
Yes, I don't even clean her windows!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 04:25:22 pm »

Well done. It's the right thing to do. I've given my card to three "innocent" drivers/cyclists who'd been on the receiving end of (IMO) careless driving. One I was called to court but the "guilty" party folded before the court date and so I was not needed.

I have also been three times and sat in the gallery to watch the sentence on an unpleasant character or provide moral support for a more pleasant character who eventually had the case dropped against him between magistrates and crown court and again for an old boy who pled guilty to a motoring offence but needed a bit of hand-holding.

I always wore a suit but a sports jacket, smart trousers, shirt and tie is fine. Or just a shirt and tie. (Don't forget the trousers!)  ;D

It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 06:17:54 pm »
Despite yours and others constant childish comments about me and my business, here is my honest advice as someone who has been to court relating to my window cleaning business:

As previously said, wear a suit. Buy one if you have to and here is why: Use this opportunity as an advert for your business. Look professional, sound professional. Dress and groom like its a posh wedding. You are entering one of her Majesty's establishments.  You don't know who will be in the room, so IF POSSIBLE AND APPROPRIATE, mention the name of your company. The least you should say is that 'As a local businessman, I am here because I feel it is important that things are done honestly and justly. My clients depend on my being trustworthy. That's why I left my business card with the lady'  You may even be asked the nature of your business next, you never know. Look for the opportunity. I would, as you know. But thats me.

As for not wanting a day off work, get your accountant to write the insurance company and court a letter highlighting your loss of earnings for attending the hearing. The accountant will look at your total income for the last tax year and divide it by 260. That's your average amount earned during a day. It will form part of the claim for the lady you are representing. You will get paid by her insurers and they claim the money back from the other insurance company.

For the record, I only speak on here when I feel I have something unique to add. There are shed loads of window cleaners offering good advice. That's why I rarely 'contribute to the forum' as people say, in a way other than I do. This has not been flooded with answers, but I have experience I am happy to impart.

I am not as many, including yourself, paint me to be.

Rich Wilts

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 06:25:43 pm »
I never said you haven't got a sense of humour.

Dave Willis

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 06:27:51 pm »
Advertise my business - god Steve you are a numpty  ::)roll

Should I pass my business cards around the court or get some flyers printed ready?

Rich Wilts

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 06:42:01 pm »
Do the insides of the court-room whilst your there. Explain your technique and the intricacies of fanning. You could get your ladders out whilst your at it and offer to the insides of the gutters.

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 06:55:50 pm »
Despite yours and others constant childish comments about me and my business, here is my honest advice as someone who has been to court relating to my window cleaning business:

As previously said, wear a suit. Buy one if you have to and here is why: Use this opportunity as an advert for your business. Look professional, sound professional. Dress and groom like its a posh wedding. You are entering one of her Majesty's establishments.  You don't know who will be in the room, so IF POSSIBLE AND APPROPRIATE, mention the name of your company. The least you should say is that 'As a local businessman, I am here because I feel it is important that things are done honestly and justly. My clients depend on my being trustworthy. That's why I left my business card with the lady'  You may even be asked the nature of your business next, you never know. Look for the opportunity. I would, as you know. But thats me.

As for not wanting a day off work, get your accountant to write the insurance company and court a letter highlighting your loss of earnings for attending the hearing. The accountant will look at your total income for the last tax year and divide it by 260. That's your average amount earned during a day. It will form part of the claim for the lady you are representing. You will get paid by her insurers and they claim the money back from the other insurance company.

For the record, I only speak on here when I feel I have something unique to add. There are shed loads of window cleaners offering good advice. That's why I rarely 'contribute to the forum' as people say, in a way other than I do. This has not been flooded with answers, but I have experience I am happy to impart.

I am not as many, including yourself, paint me to be.

Good answer  :)

I would probably not take my van into the court parking place in  case of reprisals later.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 07:00:50 pm »

Should I pass my business cards around the court or get some flyers printed ready?

'If appropriate' was capitalised. Honesty of an individual or organisation is being brought into question in a courtroom. That's why there's a case. So explaining why you are a trustworthy and credible witness is to be expected and perfectly acceptable.

Yes, I would have some business cards on my inside pocket, because you just never know.

I notice how you sidestepped my other advice about your earnings though. Nice one.

Tosh, I see you have commented on this thread. You recently locked one of my threads due to it being 'non-window cleaning related'.   In fact, it was about EXACTLY THE SAME SUBJECT, GOING TO COURT!!!  Are you going to lock this thread as I can't see how it's more related to window cleaning compared to mine which was at least related to solar panel cleaning, which is exactly the same as window cleaning in many forum users minds. Can you explain how it is?

You have also said that some get away with more than others due to their inexperience. You said I should have known better because I have posted a lot, so should know better. Dave has 5 times the number of posts of me, so he especially should know not to post things that are not related to window cleaning.  It seems like he is just after general or legal advice.

But I guess that's none of my business.

Jamie Thomas

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 05:10:59 pm »
A Leopard will never change its spots, and a leech will just keep leeching its all it knows.

andyM

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 05:31:20 pm »

No need.
Just knock up a "sandwich board" with your company name, contact details and services offered.
As you don't own a suit this will divert attention away from the wardrobe malfunction and act as an advertising funnel.
"Two Birds with one stone".  ;)
This time next year Rodders....
One of the Plebs

Smurf

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 05:42:06 pm »
I remember years ago having to stand up in court and say "Yes I kicked the man assaulting my father several times in the ribs"
Now that seemed funny as I got off scot free but the chap got 2 years probation for assault (plus a few broken ribs in the process).

I was into martial arts back then so kicked the fook out of him purely in self defence you understand.

And no I did not need to hand out business cards or flyers to try to prove I was an upstanding citizen with the right to defend myself and family (using minimum force)