jswadeson

Drought order how could it affect us?
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:20:47 pm »
We were stopped by a Southern Water rep the other day who was very interested in where we got our water from. Does anyone know for sure what could happen if a full drought order comes in this guy reckoned one for a whole year!!!!
Any news would be interesting

Moderator David@stives

Re: Drought order how could it affect us?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 07:24:56 pm »
If they ever ask you where you got it from.

Just say you bought it, you are telling no lies  just dont say where you bought it from  ;D

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 08:34:43 pm »
Last year another w/c who uses wfp got a knock on his door from Southern Water.

Why they chose him, I don't know but they'd seen his Reach and Wash van and he now pays business rates for his RO water usage.

In the documentation sent to him he said there is a worrying clause that he could be ordered to stop using water for his business should circumstances warrant it. i.e. drought, reduced pressure, etc.

I think Dave's idea to say you bought it is sound advise.

Cheers

matt

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 08:42:53 pm »
i was only talking to some1 yesterday about this

i work 3 and 1/2 days a week

and since the 3rd week of OCT i havent lost a day due to rain, in 1 way i am very happy, means ive earned a few quid, on the other hand i am a touch concearned about the level of water come the summer

mattstanley

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 08:49:49 pm »
This was discussed on another forum a while back and I think someone actually contacted Southern Water about this - apparantly, if there is a full drought order (ie like back in 1976), use of wfp would be very much restricted as it's not classed as an essential use of water- that is the gist of the thread as I recall it.

I'm pretty sure we would get away with a bucket of water a day, even if we used mineral water from the shops.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 10:37:56 pm »
Surely you all get your water from water butts in which you collected it during winter don't you? ;D

By the way - how much is water on a business rate?
It's a game of three halves!

neil100

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 10:45:38 pm »
Best keep my ladders then.

Will the water board look out and pursue those who have sign written vans, advertising pure water?

Nel.

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 10:56:50 pm »
Personally i think that all w/c ' s should go DI only in an effort to preserve the planets resources , that way it will cut the chance of any hose bans , i mean , what is the average waste to pure ratio ?    3 to 1  .
DI is green as the hills !

Rich P @ F  
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

mattstanley

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 07:38:04 pm »
I don't think all going DI will change the Water Board's view - I'm pretty sure they, or any member of the public, will look at us 'hosing' water over people's windows and realise how much we are using and put a stop to it, let alone if they realise how much is used in the RO process.

After all, most of us use 10-20 litres per house when using wfp - I only use 9 litres for a whole day when working traditionally.

I am not being a doom-monger.  I have a small system used for 'dangerous' jobs, but am going to continue to work traditionally for the majority of my work for the foreseeable future, because of the water situation.

If a proper drought order is made, I'm sure wfp will be banned, so I think none of us should throw our ladders away (in the South East anyway).

Mr. S

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 08:25:12 pm »
Apparently there is a company out there that reckons in the next month or so they will be launching an RO that has hardly any waste, a small percent?
Can anybody shed any light as to how they might do this, im not very up on how it works technically, BUT, it may benefit all of us to know! ??? ???

If I hear any more will do a post!!

pjulk

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 09:55:52 pm »
This was discussed on another forum a while back and I think someone actually contacted Southern Water about this

This was Ian lancaster on the other forum and it was mid kent water he contacted, Same water company as myself and at prescent we have a hose pipe ban and its january.
What the heck they going to do in the summer

Paul

neil100

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 01:06:09 am »
I don't think all going DI will change the Water Board's view - I'm pretty sure they, or any member of the public, will look at us 'hosing' water over people's windows and realise how much we are using and put a stop to it, let alone if they realise how much is used in the RO process.

After all, most of us use 10-20 litres per house when using wfp - I only use 9 litres for a whole day when working traditionally.

If there is a ban so be it. But their is one thing I hate in life and that is hypocrisy, How can a water board ban people from useing water in their proffession because they view it has a waste of water while they let billions of gallons of water go to waste through leaks in the waterpipe network system. ITS RANK HYPOCRISY.

Nel, saving the planet.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 08:54:38 am »
Personally i think that all w/c ' s should go DI only in an effort to preserve the planets resources , that way it will cut the chance of any hose bans , i mean , what is the average waste to pure ratio ?    3 to 1  .
DI is green as the hills !

Rich P @ F 

Sorry, just to be pedantic Rich, no matter how much water we may use, or how much we 'waste', we aren't squandering the planets water resouces, it all goes back to the same place whether it's down the drain or over a window.
It all makes it's way to the sea or evaporates into the atmosphere, clouds get formed, it rains and the process starts all over again.
As Neil says, the true wastage is from all the underground leaks, and it is a truly appalling wastage too.
In fairness to the water companies they are all replacing old pipes with new ones, and that takes time.
Many will say they aren't doing enough, or not doing enough fast enough (to many enough's there ;D)
But there are thousands and thousands of miles of pipework to replace.
These pipes are so old it is barely worth the effort to simply repair a leak (though they have to do so when they find them) they have to replace miles of affected pipes.
Of course we shouldn't be in this position, major efforts over the last 40 years should have been in place to stop this happening.
Anyway, enough musing!

If I am ever asked where I get my water from I'll lie, and tell them I fill up 'on site' as and when I need too.
I'll then convert my system so that I could indeed do so if required.

Roy Harding has a system where he can do this if he needs to, and his waste to pure ratio is only 1:1.
I'm glad I don't have my address and home telephone number on my van now!! :o
I'm not sure at what point a WFP window cleaner would be affected by a water ban, we are earning our living after all, you might even be able to use the human rights act to get around it if push came to shove.
Even though we may be commercial users, you could lump every WFP user in the country together, add up all the water they use in a month and you wouldn't come close to what a large factory would use in a single day, i.e. A paper mill, a power station, a steelworks and so on.
In fact a paper mill will use more water in a week than all of us combined would use in a year, actually they would probably use more in a few hours than we would in a whole year.
And of course they can hardly make WFP illegal can they!
Not to try and reopen the debate (it gets Ross's teeth gnashing if we do ;)) but use of ladders to work off is 'arguably' illegal already (please note the 'arguably' bit :P) though as WFP becomes more and more the norm for window cleaning, I've no doubt those of us producing our pure water at home will be put on a meter (if we aren't already) and have to pay the business tariff.....though quite why you should actually pay more as a business user baffles me ???
If you are metered then you are paying for every drop you use anyway, costs no more to produce it you than it does for a domestic user.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Morph

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 09:28:24 am »
on the matter of squandering the planet's resources, I am concerned about just how much energy is used up on posts like this.  Not to mention the time involved, gone, never to return!  I mean Ian's posts are nearly always the size of my 17" flat screen!  I always thought it was adequate, but now I'm seriously thinking of chucking this one away and getting a 19" one just to fit Ian's posts in! ;D
Such a consumer society we are. :P

Ian_Giles

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 09:58:40 am »
Sigh.......it's a hardship.........making the effort to write posts long enough to glaze the eyes of all who read them :P
Unfortunately I've never been one to use one word if it's possible to use a dozen!

Even on a mobile phone text I just have to use every character so's I gets me money's worth! 8)

Got more chops than a flock of sheep :-\

Ian ;)
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

neil100

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 10:22:08 am »
You tell um how it is Ian.

Personally I love to read your posts, the longer the better. Your arguments are well thought out and put together in a very logical way.

Its one of the reasons why I use the forum.

In fact I'm thinking of buying another 17" tft so I can have two side by side.

Keep up the good work Ian.

Your the shakespearian of the Clean it up forum.

Nel.

matt

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 10:46:07 am »
out of interest, what system does Roy Harding use that produces 1:1 ratio, as im on a meter and the less i use, the less i pay

though to be honest, my daughter has a bath most night, and that uses the same as i do with WFP

sair

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 01:42:27 pm »
i thought from his previous posts he use s a standard 40 x 40 r/o i may be wrong it may be some one else

matt, i use 40x40 on our boostered systems i tune the waste to be only 20%or there abouts.i normally aim for 5 good to waste  of 1 bad, it means i can make anywhere between 180-350 liters an hour on van mount or satic , you can reduce the waste even more but you will risk compramizing the membraine regards tony
Essentially Pure Ltd

busydaffodil

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 01:59:46 pm »
Your the shakespearian of the Clean it up forum.

Ian comes a close 2nd to TOSH!   You should see him talking poetry & sonnets! 

Oerrr.........run for cover....Tosh might see this!

Lizzy

PS - I too like reading Ians postings...........informative & usually reply generating material!