Roy Harding

Re: Do we restrict our selves to much?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 12:19:58 pm »
Tosh

I think its best not to know who does what. Then you can mail shot all.

Then if someone does ask you for a quotation, then ask how often and put a price in your happy with. :)

Over the years I have had many customers say other window cleaners had knocked on their door canvassing. But normally if they are happy with the service they stay with you.

Then on the other hand there is one large B+B, who if they were a £1 cheaper you would be history and if someone else was cheaper they would be gone as well. ???

I think some good points have been raised in some of the posts, like if you’re asked to quote it’s because the customer is not happy. And if there not happy they will change be it to you or the next guy who calls.

As we all have said many times, be reliable and trustworthy also polite and make it known to your customers if they are unhappy with anything tell me. As if I don’t know I can’t put it right, so good communication is vital.

Also if you know  one of your jobs is going to be canvassed at some time it does keep you on your toes. I do some top class jobs and you have to back it up with a first class service.

And I hate to loose a job; I lost a hotel once that used to pay £320 cash every 4wks. That really did smart, my brother in law said give them a ring and tell them that you will beat the price they had been given. He said you have nothing to loose, against my gut feeling I did. The owner said “if you could have done it cheaper you should have done it years ago” It took a long time to get over those words. Then 2wks later got a big contract that more than replaced it.

I suppose the moral is shake the dust from your feet as there is another job around the corner, and it was good while it lasted.

Roy   

Rob_Mac

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 08:40:14 pm »
I employ a lad who's mother was having a local window cleaner do her windows- so when she asked us to do the windows I said I would do them for nothing - can't charge an employee!!!!!.

Couple of months ago his auntie came over - we do charge her but again one of the other window cleaners customers.

He saw the lad who works for me and said he was going to shove my pole up my a**e and other not nice comments.

I am 6' 5'' and 18.5 stone, I will bend over backwards to be polite to anyone but if you cross me that is a mistake. I take s**t from no one.

I saw this other window cleaner the other day and pulled up alongside his car.

I politely told him that if I wanted to I would set about taking every single customer he has.

If he continues bad mouthing me I will put out thousands of leaflet per month everywhere he works till he has nothing left.

I have got on with my own business for the last five years and have never gotten in anyones way. I have always charged what I felt the value was for each clean.

I don't need his work - a lot of it seems to be poorly paid and he doesn't seem to do a very good job - if I get it I will charge my prices.

I don't mess with people till they mess with me but when they mess with me I come out on top one way or the other.

Business is business

Rob ;D

zeusjazmin

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 09:26:28 pm »
a guy i am very friendly with started his own round 4 weeks ago,i was very surprised when a customer showed me a leaflet put through his door.
turns out my friend who knew i done that street had put the leaflets through the doors looking for work.
i had a few polite words with him advising him that it was my street
and he should canvass the lots of streets i dont do.
as it turns out i have phoned him with lots of new customers ,the ones in the streets i dont do who asked me to clean theirs
if someone in my streets were not happy with me then yes he should go ahead and clean them,but he has got more houses off me than he would have had by knocking my street.
now i know there is no such thing as "my street"but the small village in question has not had a cleaner for years so i was the only one
i have turned down work to pass on to my friend so i think fair is fair

dustycorner

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2006, 08:32:14 pm »
Hi.

I will not knowingly take a take work of a domestic w/c but will chase commercial work and see it has each man for himself.

I try to build up working relationships with all other wc's i meet and on 2 occasions to date i have swapped sections of rounds with other w/c  to compact  my round, saving on time, travel, and petrol.

Cheers Mark.