steve k

pump for trolley...question
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:41:23 am »
would this pump be capable of lifting water up to 30 feet...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHURFLO-AUTOMATIC-DIAPHRAGM-WATER-PUMP-SERIES-2088_W0QQitemZ7213979874QQcategoryZ98953QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ALSO...if you have a demand switch pump, which recognises a drop in pressure, like opening a water valve on your hose, and turns on automatically, does this function operate when your hose from barrel to pump is not under any pressure.
when you open the valve on outlet hose I cannot see how the pump draws the water up from the barrel as nothing is under pressure -ie) there is no water in the hose.
Does the pump prime itself and pressure the hose from outlet to valve?

Thanks

dai

Re: pump for trolley...question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 06:48:06 pm »
Steve, That pump should be ok. As far as I understand it, the pump pressure switch detects a build up of pressure when the pump is turned on, and the water flow is stopped. It then turns off the pump. Without a build up of pressure the pump keeps running. If you plan to use a VARISTREAM controller you would have to disconnect the pressure switch. If not you should rig up a simple bypass system to return water to the container when you turn off the flow to the pole.[ see Matt's site] If you just use the built in pressure switch your pump life will be a lot less. 45 PSI should get you up to 30ft if your only using one pole with it.
I think the Surflow backpack pump is only about 45 PSI. Good luck with it, Dai

steve k

Re: pump for trolley...question
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 09:02:29 pm »
cheers,
a longshot...but you weren`t anywhere near Colliers Park, Wrexham on Sunday morning just gone??