Moderator David@stives

how much please
« on: January 21, 2006, 05:23:57 pm »

53 windows     ground floor
53windows      1st   floor
53windows      2nd floor
30windows      3rd floor

All windows are wooden sash  in poor condition about half of them have georgeon bar.

Also what size pole would i need

Thanks

Dave

steve k

Re: how much please
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:46:21 pm »
none :o...you will not want to do those windows with ANY WFP...poorly maintained painted windows...ESPECIALLY sash windows will be a nightmare...there will be runs galore and the very real possibility of numerous windows leaking on the inside...some windows just cannot be done...but if you REALLY want the job...price as high as you want...I do not think there will be many takers on this one.

Saying all that...you have obviously seen the job face to face...but I would be very wary of WFP on it ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 05:50:54 pm »
steve

They are on a painting program at the moment. And most windows have been rubbed down ready for painting which will be completed over the next 12 months.

I Deal with windows of this type everyday with wfp.
Some bodies got to do it.

There are some windows that cant be done and i have not included them in the total of windows

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 05:55:36 pm »
I hear what Steve K is saying, but it's worth a go.

You could explain that the results won't be brilliant as it's a technically difficult building to clean and the paintwork isn't up to scratch.

When working out pole size, I've read here to go 10 feet per floor, so I reckon 40 foot!

I've only ever worked to 30 foot though on second story.

steve k

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 07:09:30 pm »
could you do a test window on the ground floor?? ???

Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance ;) ;)

If you get it, make sure someone goes round closing all those windows the painters will leave open!! ;D

Morph

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 07:13:51 pm »
What is above that decorative porch fascade at the fron David?
I mean above the 1st floor.
Are you just quoting the front and side of building as shown?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 07:55:46 pm »
There are 4 sides to be cleaned .
Above the entrance is a flat roof and there are a further few areas where you would have to go out of a window to get on flat roof areas

williamx

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 08:47:39 pm »
I would check first with the painters to find out what type of paint they will be using, some use a paint which runs when cleaned the first couple of times, if they are using this type either get a disclaimer against paint runs or leave well alone.

You will need a 40 footer pole and maybe a helper.

I would charge £400 first clean and £300 for other monthly cleans.

Morph

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 10:50:10 pm »
Yes, quite a few unknown quantities here.  I did a job yesterday that had recently been painted.  Paint "oils" had run, partly because windows had been painted in cold damp.  "Runs didn't clean up completely.  No probs with client once explained.

You will need help.  In and out of windows, onto roofs etc.
I'd go for about £480 first clean.  Hit 'em hard.  Cos it will hit you hard doing it!

Pj

gaza

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 11:02:10 pm »
wouldnt touch it with a barge pole lone a wfp,1st class  job with a cheery picker,if access is ok.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

macleod

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 12:03:31 am »
1 or 2 days work...

53 windows     ground floor *£1 = £53
53windows      1st   floor *£2 = £106
53windows      2nd floor *£3 = £159
30windows      3rd floor *£4 = £120

total £438

4 week or 6 week

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 09:18:45 am »
i would say 360-400 first time then 260 every clean thereafter

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Morph

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 10:07:56 am »
Keep the price high.  If you don't get it, well?  You can't clean every building in St Ives!

Reasons to keep the price high:
1) If you're doing it, it's donkey work.  You need some incentive to go back next time = Price!
2) If you are expanding, then you are employing someone to do it for you.  Most will work slower than you, and you have to cover their money, plus make it worth your while having the headaches.
3) On a job like this you have to price high, first time at least, so you can take your time to assess how best to do it next time.  You will use up a lot of time going back and forth, in and out, up and down first time around.  Allow for that.
4) Not likely many others will quote for a complicated job like this nearby.  They'll have to call in from further afield, so they'll be pricing in travelling time.
5) Not a straight forward job at all.  Beware with this one.

"measure twice, cut once"

In short;  I wouldn't take it.

Pj

martindrz400

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 11:33:54 am »
not worth doing for less than five hundred