steve k

Diary...signing off!!
« on: January 20, 2006, 09:01:40 am »
hope you all got something positive from the diary. Today is a short day, 3/4 hours and not particularly interesting :(

Next week is a good one with some great properties.
Pretty much the type you have seen over the last week or so.

THE REASON for doing this... ???

I hoped to deliver a little bit of inspiration to those who find themselves stuck in a round which is monotonous and underpaid.
When I started up, I was considering carpet cleaning, even going on a course and reading up on the carpet cleaning section on this forum.
The thought of cleaning windows on countless rows of the same houses day in, day out for a couple of quid a house was the only image I had of a window cleaner and NO WAY was I doing that!!

I stumbled across this section of the forum and started soaking up all the info regarding pricing, rate of work, canvassing and WFP.
I realised the potential of targetting big properties and WFP and started putting the feelers out. Within 2 months or so of part time, I left my office job and security starting out trad for 6 months or so and then splashing out on a van and system.

I have tried to keep away from detailed pricing on the diary but wanted to offer a viewpoint to the debates about how much you can earn and how much work you can do in a day etc.

I have a 90% great round with a few properties/runs that I still do not enjoy doing...these have all just been put up in price and they have virtually all accepted...I still wont enjoy them though...they will be offloaded and replaced with better properties soon ;)

I have only managed to do this with the advice from this forum...NOTHING else!!
I still could not imagine doing row upon row of terraces or semis with ladders...I would not last!!
I know some do and if they are truly happy doing that, then I wish them good health.
BUT there is the potential to break away from that and restructure your round and enjoy a great income in safety and without the need to sweat out 60 hours a week to do so :D

I mentioned a couple of days back that a couple of window cleaners had stopped me and discussed my WFP system...they have just gone out and bought a WFP trailer system!!
Good luck Baz and Baz senior ;)

Thanks to forum members, past and present, for all YOUR tips/tricks and advice ;D

petski2

Re: Diary...signing off!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 09:20:09 am »
Great series of posts Steve.

preston powerblast

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 09:43:23 am »
Well done mate, it has all been a good read and has inspired me, being a part time window cleaner.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 10:07:37 am »
 ;)

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 01:31:48 pm »
nice one steve
i find an mp3 player breaks up the tedium somewhat( and definately speeds me up when Green Day American Idiot is playing) ;D ;D

matt

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 01:53:05 pm »
nice one steve
i find an mp3 player breaks up the tedium somewhat( and definately speeds me up when Green Day American Idiot is playing) ;D ;D

indeed, a MP3 player is a great little asset

Oh and i agree, any of the recent Green day Cd's are great

s.hughes

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 03:49:56 pm »
I find mp3 players slow me down so I dont listen to anything when working. Only I do tell myself some jokes  and have a laugh but the problem is that I have heard them all before.

Steve

Mike_G

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 03:51:40 pm »
Brilliant Steve.

Is there going to be a new series in the autumn?

bazzup

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 03:56:02 pm »

I mentioned a couple of days back that a couple of window cleaners had stopped me and discussed my WFP system...they have just gone out and bought a WFP trailer system!!
Good luck Baz and Baz senior ;)

cheers for the tips steve a few teething problems filling the tank,but took your advice and ran it through the shurflo and is now filling up at least ten times faster  ;)

only problem now is the towbar fella has let me down so going to have to be tomorrow or monday  >:(.

great post steve and very encouraging as we make the switch over from traditional  8 ;D

here's to monday or tuesday if towbar guy lets me down again

baz jnr and baz snr

Morph

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 04:04:24 pm »
An inspiring set of postings steve.  And you seem a positive thoroughly nice guy.
I seriously think CIU should send you a gift of some sort for such a spot on contribution to this forum.
Anyone else agree?
Yours has to be the best post I have ever read on here really, for the many at entry level.
Most others are very helpful too, in fact I am still surprised how many are so helpful.  But your diary is a little class of it's own.
Don't let it go to your head though, you Liverpuddle

Thanks

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 04:07:40 pm »
ahhemm  ::)

jeff evans

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 04:09:47 pm »
Well done steve i have enjoyed your diary,and it certainly has
woke me up to the priceing side of window cleaning,
I find that
if you are confident when pricing ( I.E. this is the price take it or leave it attitude ) very few decline to take the price.  

jeff.

spotless2000

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 05:15:43 pm »
Steve K

While 'er indoors has been watching the soaps, I've been following real life!

Fantasic reading about your week.

You have only added to my confidence to start my new venture in about 3 weeks.

Pure inspiration !!!

Cheers

Steve C ;)

steve k

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 05:59:11 pm »
Thanks for your comments...glad to give something back ;D

I will of course take my digital with me next week and if I come across anything that might interest you, I`ll do a post.

Over the next few weeks I`m going to put together a trolley so I`ll keep you posted with pics.

Thank you

H h20

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 06:19:49 pm »
Thanks for your comments...glad to give something back ;D

I will of course take my digital with me next week and if I come across anything that might interest you, I`ll do a post.

Over the next few weeks I`m going to put together a trolley so I`ll keep you posted with pics.

Thank you
Over the next few weeks!,get to work on it ,it`s not like you`ve been busy  ;D  ;D  ;),Gaz

neil100

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 06:43:16 pm »
Cheers Steve.

I enjoyed your pics and looking at what another w/c cleans in a day.

I have done my w/c round for so long as it is, that I have never given much consideration to changeing certain parts  or replacing work that I dont enjoy. That is untill now and following your posts has given me an incentive to improve certain runs on my round.

All the best to you Steve.

Nel.

RAHomeServices

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 09:54:07 pm »
Hi steve,
Enjoyed your postings, keep up the good work. Let me know how you get on with your trolley set up.