windowcleanomano

AIR stops play
« on: January 19, 2006, 10:05:21 pm »

Hi

Today I have had my best day YET using my new system.   UNTIL the water seemed to slow down..
Thought “Oh No, flat battery.

NO. Air Lock.

Can any one tell me if stopping the flow for too long,  (Talk to Customer)  can air creep into the pipe before it gets to the pump so as to prevent it from sucking the water.
Has anyone else had a problem with there SHURlow & VariStream in this regard?

It was working great for nearly 4 hours before it decided to, what seems to me to causes an AIR Lock in pipe from my tank.

How can I make sure it doesn’t happen again?

Thanks

dai

Re: AIR stops play
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 10:18:14 pm »
You will find it's down to one connector. In my case it's the one going to the hose reel. If I change containers, or have left the trolley for a while I just dissconect it and turn the pump on till the water comes though the connector. re-connect, job done.
Dai

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:27:41 pm »
make sure your pump is not upside down

Ie the water feed should be at the bottom and the electric at the top

s.hughes

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 10:38:13 pm »
Mine must be upside down then, does this mean the label is upside down?

Steve

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 10:39:46 pm »
Water can be sucked from upto 8 or 10 or so many feet deep down before the weight of water being sucked up equals gravity which pulls it back down.

So an air lock would get sucked through along with the water unless the pump was how ever many feet above the water tank.

The only other problem may be something that causes a vacumn to happen which is unlikely.

Are you sure it's not something simple like a snap on connector half coming apart as you pull the hose along? We've had that problem quite a few times.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 10:41:59 pm »
i used to have the same problem all the time.
But since i turned my pump the opposite way around i have never had the problem since

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 10:45:01 pm »
Has anyone else had a problem with there SHURlow & VariStream in this regard?

What you should be wary of is that when you stop the flow the pump should stop but in essence it actually doesnt it turns on and off slowly checking the pressure to see if it should turn on again inso useing battery power so if you are talking to customers for to long your pump is afectively still on and still drawing battery power

just a thought

chris

s.hughes

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 10:48:43 pm »
I've had the problem but have done the same as Dia and Ross have said. The push fit before the pole is always a problem. I just disconnect it wait for the water to start cushing out and then reconnect. Away I go until it happens again, although it only happens a couple of times a day.

Steve

Morph

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 05:33:45 pm »
How did today go?
Mr Windocleanomano
Still sucking airo
Or luverly water flow?

Ian_Giles

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 05:53:44 pm »
It sounds more like your pump is drawing in air (obviously :P) so it will be doing somewhere prior to the inlet on the pump.
Try fiddling around with the connectors that lead to the pump.

It makes no difference with connectors after the pump, if those are leaky then water will be spraying out of them.

A tip I read about on here is to pull out the feed hose from any possible faulty push fit connectors and wrap a little pdf tape around the part of the feed pipe that pushes into the connector.
If there is a dodgy joint, this should go a long way to rectifying it.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

windowcleanomano

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 09:43:58 pm »
Thanks & more thanks.

Took on board all you said and decided to check (change) the Hozelock connector just before the pump and  “what do you know,, water flow”.

The connecter did seem to have a lot of play in it, so I guess as you said, the pump stooped sucking and air leaked in due to the water being sucked back into the tank (siphon action I think).

Any way, as they say, “Air Today,   Gone Tomorrow”.
Yes I had a better day.
Thanks everyone.