s.hughes

Getting your pole up
« on: January 19, 2006, 06:18:06 pm »
Dont laugh how else could I word it.
Heres the question. What is the best way to extend your pole for a high clean? If the job is only 3 storey then fine I could do that easy from the floor, but anything more than that is hard cause you got to try and lift it into position. Its not easy leaning it on the wall and extending it, so what does everyone else do? Is there a gadget that can be bought to help? I saw one on ebay some time back where a wheel is attached to the other side of the brush end and you can just push it up without the brush touching the wall. Problem is I havent seen it for ages.

Cheers
Steve

Re: Getting your pole up
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 06:24:02 pm »
what length are the sections on your pole, and also how many?
when i used to make poles at ionics we demonstrated using the 65' poles by extending them on the ground and then walking them up with the end firmly in place either under someones foot or into the corner of a building.
it takes a bit of confidence and the key is to not stop and hesitate but keep going until fully up.
if the pole sections are 6' or less its easier to just inch it up the building to the desired height.
hope this helps

s.hughes

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 08:57:10 pm »
what length are the sections on your pole, and also how many?
when i used to make poles at ionics we demonstrated using the 65' poles by extending them on the ground and then walking them up with the end firmly in place either under someones foot or into the corner of a building.
it takes a bit of confidence and the key is to not stop and hesitate but keep going until fully up.
if the pole sections are 6' or less its easier to just inch it up the building to the desired height.
hope this helps
My poles are unger 5 x 2 metre sections. That is what I did, I used a wall which footed the ladder and walked it up but boy did it sway. Without something to help it run up the wall it is difficult extending 2 metre sections. So any ideas please.

Steve

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 09:20:57 pm »
Extend pole to length required - stand in middle and lift pole off the ground - so that brush is facing upwards.

Put back of brush on first floor window cill. Move towards base of pole a little and lift brush to second window cill - and again - third window cill etc until on cill of required window.

Turn pole 180 degrees so brush is now on window pane and work close enough to the building so as not to get wet but not so far out that the brush head creates too much leverage on the old arms.
It's a game of three halves!

s.hughes

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 09:45:53 pm »
The job I did today was the hardest I,ve every done. The top window was 12 metres up and I was 2 metres short of it so I used a large step ladder to climb up and give me the extra length required, I am really feeling the pain in my shoulders and back now. When the pole is so high you cant put any pressure on the glass you just have to kinda let the brush glide up and down the window. You do all glass and most of frame but you just cant see how good the job is. This building has never been cleaned because of a long slop on the side so ladders are a no no, I tell ya it were hard work. The other problem is that it is only to be done every 6 months so on every clean I will be using loads of water just to try and get an alright job out of it. I am doing the invoice tonight and will go to the management office tomorrow and explain the difficulty and fact that a wfp should be used regular and it will take a couple of cleans to get the glass looking good. Every clean I do on this one is starting over again
Just hope they understand.

Steve

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 01:05:06 pm »
wish you all the best