steve k

Diary...day 6...TROLLEY!!
« on: January 19, 2006, 03:16:38 pm »
got to my run at:

6 blocks of these...12 flats in each block...I do not have them all!!

A couple of photos as the day progressed:

Look at that hose...this is a TROLLEY job if ever there was one!!
I was winding it in at end of day so coiled it to show you how much hose I have to run out...about 70metres!!

an 80 metre hose reel nearly gone!!

27 flats cleaned and packed up ready to go at:

jeff evans

Re: Diary...day 6...TROLLEY!!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 03:52:30 pm »
STEVE
WHAT SIZE SECTIONS IS THAT POLE,IT LOOKS VERY RIDGED.
WHAT MAKE IS IT, AND WHERE DID YOU BUY IT FROM.THAT JOB LOOKS LIKE A REAL GOOD EARNER, ONE STOP SHOPPING YOU MIGHT SAY.
WILL IT NOT BE AS BAD IF YOU HAVE TO KEEP GOING BACK TO THE VAN FOR JERRY CANS IF YOU USE THE TROLLY, HOW MANY WINDOWS WOULD YOU GET DONE WITH A 35LTR TUB

YES I KNOW IM,E  A NOSEY SOD.

CHEERS JEFF.

preston powerblast

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 05:54:47 pm »
How long is that hose, is it the coplex hose?
I could do with something like that myself as my hoses have always been a nightmare.

s.hughes

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 06:05:42 pm »
Steve
What size tank do you have in the back of your van?

Steve

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 06:07:03 pm »
Wher did you get that reel from it looks quite solid

Ben Walker

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 06:40:11 pm »
What did you have for breakfast?
Did you have cereal or toast?
how many lumps of sugar in ya t?

H h20

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 06:42:26 pm »
I think a little bit of wet is being taken here  ::),Gaz

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 06:57:07 pm »

I reckon he's one of those guys who has THREE Shredded Wheat   ;D

steve k

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 07:19:19 pm »
A story about how I got those flats. They are next to a big park in Liverpool where I walk the dog. When I got the WFP, I used to look at them and think"what a great job"
One day, I walked in and asked the first person I seen if they had a window cleaner:
"we haven`t seen him for 3 months...how much for a bottom flat and do you have a card?"

I decided to card the whole place and heard nothing.
A month or so later, I bumped into a window cleaner on my round who asked if it was me who carded the flats.
He said he couldn`t do them any more and wasn`t going back but was selling it for £2000 and I could have first refusal...the price included LONG ladders!!
He charged £2.00 for ground floor flats and had just put the top floors up to £3.00!! :o
No way could I afford that and told him so.
There was no problem about it and he advertised in the local paper for 1 night only and I know he had no takers.
THEN the phone started ringing from people who had kept hold of my card and were now fed up waiting for their windows to be cleaned. SO IN I WENT!!

I charg £7 for top flats and £5 for ground and middle flats and I have 30 up to now plus 10 of the little houses you can see in the background.

The reason I do not have more is that some are rental flats/unnoccupied or done by the gardeners for £2.00!!

I usually do the 30 flats in 1 day and go back the next to do the houses plus another little run I have locally. I missed 3 flats today because I had to pick my son up from school...so back tomorrow to finish off.

I have a 30ft glass fibre pole from Brodex which is great...

Today, I had someone ask if they could have every other month...NO was the quick and non-negotiable answer.
Also had someone moan about the splashing of water onto their windows...they have the gardeners clean their windows...I said it is pure water just like rain and if he was worried, I would happily clean them for him.
"I`m not paying you" he said...bless him :D
"well they stay wet then..."
A trolley would be good here...I would drop my containers off at each block when I arrived (2/3 at each block would be ok) This would take 5 minutes and then I would park up, get the trolley out and whistle while I washed ;D

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 07:35:15 pm »
Today, I had someone ask if they could have every other month...NO was the quick and non-negotiable answer.

Cracking post, Steve,

But with the 'Every Other Month' thing, I advertise this service at 50% more than a monthly clean.

I advertise it on my 'Your Window Cleaners Have Been' Chits and have had a fair few takers.

I think it's worth it as you spend roughly the same amount of time; yet get paid 50% more!

And if you've got a full round anyway, well you're earning more for your time.

steve k

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 08:15:50 pm »
something I might consider actually but he was the only one...The thing I like most about WFP is the 18ft pole...like a lollipop stick ;D

BUT the 30 ft is very strenuous when used for a few hours. I would NEVER do it every day...then again, I take brush head off glass to rinse and this is the strenuous part, so maybe I need to look at better brush heads which allow rinsing through.

H h20

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 08:18:09 pm »
something I might consider actually but he was the only one...The thing I like most about WFP is the 18ft pole...like a lollipop stick ;D

BUT the 30 ft is very strenuous when used for a few hours. I would NEVER do it every day...then again, I take brush head off glass to rinse and this is the strenuous part, so maybe I need to look at better brush heads which allow rinsing through.
Steve,try one of my brushes,Gaz

Ben Walker

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 08:34:41 pm »
there's the spirit Gaz. i knew you were a hard nosed supplier. you get 'em!  ;D

Ben Walker

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 08:39:06 pm »
seriously   ;D no, if you want a brush to rinse through, not take it off the glass, thats the one you want for sure. works very well.
and with Gaz's excllent prices...!
 ;)
Ben

steve k

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 08:45:06 pm »
what brush is that then??

H h20

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 08:52:34 pm »
what brush is that then??
here you go,Gaz

steve k

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 09:03:15 pm »
send me price mate

H h20

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 09:15:43 pm »
seriously   ;D no, if you want a brush to rinse through, not take it off the glass, thats the one you want for sure. works very well.
 ;)
Ben
Nice one Ben,so are you up for 1 then  ;D,Gaz

s.hughes

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 09:57:44 pm »
Gaz how much is that brush head and how different is it from any others,

Steve, what size tank have you got in the back of your van, and just to mention that by the look of that picture you are running on the red. Now dont forget to fill up.

Steve

Ben Walker

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 10:06:46 pm »
seriously ;D no, if you want a brush to rinse through, not take it off the glass, thats the one you want for sure. works very well.
 ;)
Ben
Nice one Ben,so are you up for 1 then ;D,Gaz
yeh, thanks for email reply, considering it. got autobrush but thats 15'', so 12'' might be useful alternative to vikan. i'll be in touch.
Steve, the main difference is that the bristles are 'crinkled' so don't stick togeteher holding water (and dirt) like the vikan when wet. No rinsing off the galss and no soaking brush in bucket of pure water carry on!