bad trippy

Tradders, why???
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:46:33 pm »
Why are you trad?
I reckon we earn around 50 to 60% more money per hour now we are WFP
Im not having a pop at you, so dont take this the wrong way, but i really would love to know why you folks stick to trad?
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

ben M

Re: Tradders, why???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:51:39 pm »
good question! tell us why??

ben M

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:53:34 pm »
Come on, don't be shy!  ;D

Jackal

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:56:51 pm »
eh! why whats this WFP  you talk about??????

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 11:21:01 pm »
Gold: Can I tell you why I resisted changing over for longer than I should have?

Interested forum members (2 off ): Yes please we'd love to know!

Gold: OK here goes:-

1. Fear of rejection, lack of confidence and fear of losing what I had.

Being fearful that customers wouldn't "have it" and that I would lose the mediocre income that I had. I overcame this by explaining to and starting all my commercials first; then about 3 months later, once I was convinced I was okay at wfp I chose an area comprising (bigger, taller houses) about a third of my domestic stuff and explained and changed that over.

Then after that worked I changed all except an estate of low end easy ladder work. And within six months of buying wfp - finally that too.

2. Cost.

I spent about £1500 on a trolley system with unger aluminium poles from Peter Fogwill (including R/O, storage butts etc) and worked out of my estate car.

Hindsight tells me I should have gone for a van from day one but I did so when my car got clobbered by a lorry about a year later.

I don't "like" credit - but financing a van and system (self built) was the best thing I ever did in window cleaning terms.

It's a game of three halves!

bad trippy

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 12:06:53 am »
Two guys from Easton pulled over for a chat on Sunday Malc, both said they knew you, one is errrr Eugine the barber (has a couple of brothers)
The other was a shiner, cant think of his name now, never met him before, may have been Nigel
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

Richy essex

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:33:31 am »
I'm trad cos I do windows part time . I live in a flat so have no where to store Or make pure water . I have a small car limited funds so I fill up my bucket with fairy and go my customers are happy so that's why I'm trad  I see people still using hammers and nails all the time why when paslode nail guns are available and reasnobly priced yet not everyone who works with wood uses one this is only one example I can think of!!  each to their own mate just sayin

stuart mc

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 12:38:25 am »
I'm trad cos I do windows part time . I live in a flat so have no where to store Or make pure water . I have a small car limited funds so I fill up my bucket with fairy and go my customers are happy so that's why I'm trad  I see people still using hammers and nails all the time why when paslode nail guns are available and reasnobly priced yet not everyone who works with wood uses one this is only one example I can think of!!  each to their own mate just sayin

good on you, you make a living out of shinning glass, that is that matters, doesn't matter how you do it really, just that you do ;)

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 01:07:27 am »
Stu, I agree totally. Each to their own and according to their circumstances.

It's as simple as that.

If someone is happy 100% trad, then that is up to them.

If they want to go down the wfp route, then that is up to them also.

Why worry how others clean windows?
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:38:44 am »
Why are you trad?
I reckon we earn around 50 to 60% more money per hour now we are WFP
Im not having a pop at you, so dont take this the wrong way, but i really would love to know why you folks stick to trad?
I would really love to be part of your money orientated gang Trippy,unfortunately I do not fit the strict criteria. Along with my WFP work ,I must confess and I do feel ashamed to say that from time to time I do use a pad and squeegee,  :-[

Frankybadboy

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 06:32:37 am »
you must have been slow trading then, ;D ;D ;D ;D

bobby p

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 07:29:14 am »
i like being trad,plain and simple, old school and all that.  i also quite like a bit of fear ,a shot  of adrenalin feels good

dave f

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 07:46:50 am »
i went wfp main reason saftey to be honest partley money side as well but over all we are on this planet a short time i for one plan to be here as long as possible

wightsurf

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 07:52:45 am »
Because on some property its simply quicker

birdymiller

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 08:37:32 am »
Ive got both and the biggest thing that stops me going full wfp, is the hastle. When im trad i pull up at 9 work all day til 4 and not move car. When im wfp i have to move car loads and creates hastle. The 50 - 60% per hour is a bit steep. You must have been one slow tradder.

jim bean

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 08:45:10 am »
Good exercise , ease of work, bare minimal equipment,  I believe some customers prefer to see you up the ladder with your mop and blade, (shows ya puttin some effort in when they pay ya an ya drippin wi sweat!!) especially old folk anyway which seem to be about 80% of all mine

Erithwc

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 08:49:20 am »
i don't think there is a massive difference when you take into account the running costs of wfp Van insurance cost more plus you have water rates, equipment ect.

Paul

Johnny B

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 09:21:37 am »
I love the simplicity of tradding.

I potter along every day, take my time to do a job my customers are happy with, chat with them and come home with enough money in my pocket at the end of it all.

Stress levels are zero, maintenance or repairs of equipment are cheap and negligible, and I am very content with my lot.  :)

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

magic moments

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 10:02:19 am »
I'm only around 6 weeks since I started and I went for wfp,but I can see why people prefer prefer trad,its simplicity,doesn't leave the exterior of the house saturated with water ,no drips,finished result instantly,hardly any cost and as for the danger of ladders its not that common to slip,mostly operator issues.

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 10:19:19 am »
We offer both wfp and trad. Some customers prefer wfp but most prefer trad - particularly the bottom windows. We nearly always blade off the kitchen and lounge windows even if all rest done wfp - because it keeps customers happy.
We have picked up work off wfp only cleaners because the finish has just been terrible but we've picked up work off bad tradders also! They are two methods of cleaning both are right in certain circumstances.
I think the biggest gain time wise for wfp is on leaded windows; takes for ever doing them trad. On none leaded especially smaller houses not sure it makes that much difference timewise.
As others have said above there is also a lot more work and expense keeping wfp equipment in working order and of course purifying water.
I think the best approach is to have an open mind to both methods of working using the right method for the right set of circumstances and always working safely!