Dave Willis

Re: Anyone experienced this with a van?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 05:04:56 pm »
It’s the excess oil in the crankcase getting up into the pistons. The engine feeds off that instead of the deisel fuel. You were lucky hopefully.

Splash & dash

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 05:39:35 pm »
On most vehicles from minimum to maximum on the dipstick is about three quarters of a litre

Plankton

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 06:20:02 pm »
Never known the consequences only that you don't over fill it. It's a sore mistake especially at this time of year and knowing that it's your fault.

chris turner

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 06:30:50 pm »
I never even check any of my fluids, just get a major service every year and forgot about it. Same on the car and both vehicles have never had any problems ( other then wear and tear), van is now 6 years old and car just turned 10.

a900

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 07:24:26 pm »
Another option to stopping a runaway diesel is plugging the air intake or exhaust with say a scrim.

https://youtu.be/3NRaqgab0_w
7.5m people (video watches) out there that find this fun like me

lal

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 07:50:40 pm »
Wow sounds like you was very lucky pal, when I used to be a mechanic I seen oil filling errors where the engines picked up and killed itself!!
I’ve seen them saved too and most of the time its just a case of cleared turbo pipes, intercooler and exhaust along with draining system, we used to just take them down the motorway to burn off what was left but its so important not to overfill!

Yep, i feel lucky to be honest and glad it wasnt worse than it was. 
£300 for all new exhausts and back on the road.
Im sure taking the exhaust off and tryingbto drain n clean would be cheaper perhaps but would take some time and im told wouldnt get warm enough to burn it off.

Glad you got it sorted Nathan, like you said it could have been a lot worse.

P @ F

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2019, 07:58:55 pm »
I don’t think I would be in a rush to chuck a T towel into a Garrett T6 turbo charger  :D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

a900

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 09:16:07 pm »
I don’t think I would be in a rush to chuck a T towel into a Garrett T6 turbo charger  :D

Beats chucking half your pistons out the block

P @ F

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 09:32:10 am »

Beats chucking half your pistons out the block

Very good point sir  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !