nathankaye

Anyone experienced this with a van?
« on: October 29, 2019, 10:16:40 am »
So I have a fuat scudo 06 plate.
Runs lovely still apart from last couple of days not liking the cold mornings.
Top up with oil and turned motor over. A couple of rumbles n cough n choke and it ticked over.  Pressed accelerator to clear the fumes and then the freakines began!

The gas pedal wasnt jammed and it started super revving by itself.  I turned the engine off and removed the keys but it didnt stop but kept on going! 
I know very little other than the basics and popped bonnet n disconnected the battery but if was still running and revving until it died/stopped after 5 mins?

Anyone any ideas or had this before?
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

High-Tower

Re: Anyone experienced this with a van?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 10:28:57 am »
Sounds as though it’s ‘runaway’, chances are if it’s not f***ed it this time, it’ll do it again and f*** it.

alank

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:30:50 am »
Same sounds like runaway mate had a 4x4 do it and it was knackered after .

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 10:32:46 am »
Have you started it since ?
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 10:35:21 am »
Just started it for a couple of mins and it purrs like a kitty.  So ive just come in for a coffee an will start again in 10 before i venture to work.  Certainly not parking on anyones drives today and covering their house with fumes......

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 10:37:13 am »
Any smoke?

P @ F

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 10:47:23 am »
Never mind the smoke , I would be more scared of the bottom end blowing off and dumping it’s guts on the Indian stone drive  ;D
Perhaps it was Fiats prototype Regen engine !
Hope it’s alright though Nath , not what you need at this time of year !

Slacky

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 10:47:30 am »
If you do drive it be aware it could go off like a bull in a china shop when you’re driving down the high street 

P @ F

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 10:49:55 am »
Get ready to dip that clutch matey

nathankaye

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 10:56:11 am »
So is it more than likely to do it again
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jonny 87

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 11:15:23 am »
So is it more than likely to do it again

Of course nath. These things aren’t just flukes.

Be careful out there, as has been said you could be driving down a high street and will be then stuck on full Acceleration.

Knock it out of gear and disconnect the battery.

I’ve seen that happen to others cars, and they haven’t known what to do, so they pullover and call the police....... then it catches flames in 10mims or so because it’s running flat out.

Take it in to get seen by a mechanic.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Slacky

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 11:50:42 am »
To stop the engine if you’re in a position to try, make sure the vehicle is stationary. Put your foot on the clutch. Put your other foot hard on the brake. Make sure the handbrake is on.

Put the vehicle in it’s highest gear. Let the clutch out. Assessing how likely it is to stall it as you proceed. The whole thing should only take a couple of seconds. Don’t do this in the vicinity of other people or buildings is the ideal scenario.

Another way to stall it is to let off a powder fire extinguisher into the vehicles air inlet.

Slacky

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 11:52:13 am »
If you have to stall it with the fire extinguisher method can you do one of your videos please 🤪

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 12:09:10 pm »
After in ran steady for ten mins in safety of neighbours rear drive, I thought i would chance it. However when i set off driving it was blowing thick white fumes and so went to garage instead.

They kinda confirmed it was oil in exhaust etc and had a look....

Damn,  just checked the oil level and its user error!  Put ermmmmm a little too much oil in.

Now pricing up full replace of exhaust n drain some oil......yep feeling foolish and a loss in pocket
Hopefully its being repaired this afternoon or if not first thing in morning.  Now I get to go home n face the music  from the mrs   ::)roll
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 12:33:21 pm »
Get ready to dip that clutch matey

Took the words right out of my mouth there mate!

Hope you sort it Nathan, though it can be quite a major issue. Pistons letting oil in maybe? Old engine?

Dave Willis

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 01:08:54 pm »
After in ran steady for ten mins in safety of neighbours rear drive, I thought i would chance it. However when i set off driving it was blowing thick white fumes and so went to garage instead.

Damn,  just checked the oil level and its user error!  Put ermmmmm a little too much oil in.

Now pricing up full replace of exhaust n drain some oil......yep feeling foolish and a loss in pocket
Hopefully its being repaired this afternoon or if not first thing in morning.  Now I get to go home n face the music  from the mrs   ::)roll

DIPSTICK!  ::)roll ::)roll ::)roll

nathankaye

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 01:37:54 pm »

DIPSTICK!  ::)roll ::)roll ::)roll

Yep, your right!
I knew it was really low, lower than the min mark on the dipstick and so i wrongly assumed i could top up with several litres of oil and all would be good.  Since i only put 3 - 4 litres in, i thought would be good and didnt check.   
Like I said, embarassing mistake to make and financially hard socker punch not to make that mistake again
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

mufcglen

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 02:45:51 pm »
Wow sounds like you was very lucky pal, when I used to be a mechanic I seen oil filling errors where the engines picked up and killed itself!!
I’ve seen them saved too and most of the time its just a case of cleared turbo pipes, intercooler and exhaust along with draining system, we used to just take them down the motorway to burn off what was left but its so important not to overfill!

nathankaye

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 03:28:37 pm »
Wow sounds like you was very lucky pal, when I used to be a mechanic I seen oil filling errors where the engines picked up and killed itself!!
I’ve seen them saved too and most of the time its just a case of cleared turbo pipes, intercooler and exhaust along with draining system, we used to just take them down the motorway to burn off what was left but its so important not to overfill!

Yep, i feel lucky to be honest and glad it wasnt worse than it was. 
£300 for all new exhausts and back on the road.
Im sure taking the exhaust off and tryingbto drain n clean would be cheaper perhaps but would take some time and im told wouldnt get warm enough to burn it off.

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 03:42:15 pm »
Cheers though guys for responding to the post in the first place, it was helpful to get an understanding of what happened as i was amazed at how turning the engine off n removing the keys did jack all to stop the engine super revving / running

Well thats me learning a handful of new things and mistakes never to make again.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk