Art

Re: what would you have charged ?
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 11:34:40 pm »
Arthur you can be considered competant to do small electrical jobs, the question is who decides who is competant? Odd job and handy men are still able to do minor repairs but they are supposed to hold a level of competancy and give a minor works certificate. They do not have to be or have been electricians, they are only required to have a knowledge of what they are doing, all the same i find it worrying.

Glenda,  If a fatality occured due to a DIY job then god help whoever the handyman was. The HSE would have a field day.

A little knowledge is worse than no knowledge, especially with electricity. So why put yourself at risk in the first place.

Arthur

Re: what would you have charged ?
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 11:40:51 pm »
This is what i was saying. I agree with you totally. I am saying that in real terms though for small electrical jobs like replacing electrical accesories you do not have to be an electrician, even to do it for someone else. But that person is supposed to complete a minor works certificate which is a document that can be purchased by anyone who does the work. You get them from electrical wholesalers. I find it worrying that this is the situation but there we are. Unlike gas where you are supposed to employ a corgi registered person with electrical work there are at least 4 bodies that an electrician can apply to and even then there is no legal requirement to do that. Electrical work is no where near as policed as some people think. I have bought and sold a lot of property in my time and have picked up a lot of worrying information about what goes on.