In_Safe_Hands

To supply or not to supply
« on: August 31, 2004, 05:34:33 pm »
Guys,

What's your take on supplying your own equipment and solutions for domestic cleans?

I think I'm going to state in the Terms and Conditions that the client supplies the equipment for the clean but I'm not so sure this is a good idea with the actual solutions.   The margins would be much better if I asked the client to supply their own but on the other hand does it make for a worse service?  What do you think?

:-/

Re: To supply or not to supply
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 05:48:15 pm »
I am in the same boat, I have been advised to use the clients.  I have been advised to use this as a plus point in selling my services, using there prefered cleaning goods.  I will down the track look at sourcing my own when I get my business up.  Just too much to contend with at the moment!

Some cleaning co's discount for this in price, again I am not going to but can use if as leverage in making a sale.  Plus I don't think you need material data sheets but don't quote me on this.  In saying that I am going to list the clients products I use and contact the manufacturer for the data sheets to cover my butt.  Also try to get some basic OH&S procedures in place now, including carrying a first aid box, risk assess, etc.

As for terms and conditions, I am not sure how long winded these need to be, I am looking at a straight forward agreement form to keep it simple but we are both covered.

Good luck
Bev aka DD  :)

martin19842

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 11:37:03 pm »
hi there,

if you use the customers materials and solutions, then if the client runs out, cleaner can not do the job.  if the terms and conditions doesnt state this then you cannot charge for uncompleted service.

what you need to look at is, ensure that your public liability insurance covers the use of client materials.

if you supply all the materials and solutions, then you will have all the COSHH and also no problems with running out of equipment.

regards

martin

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 11:55:05 pm »
How are other cleaners fixed on using bleach?

I want to say a big no, no to my clients, if a client insists do you give them the flcik so to speak?

Cheers
Bev

Len Gribble

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 12:39:36 am »
Bev

You need to educate you customers be it domestic or commercial in the use of Bleach, what dose it do in the cleaning environment, it kill, it stains by making it white, can anyone add to this? Dose it clean?

I’m with Martin on this.

Let me give an example you have a window cleaner who dose your home, who is responsible for his/her welfare?

Len

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

martin19842

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 03:42:44 pm »
regading bleach,

you really need to stay away from this, as your public and product liability insurance, could quite easily be invalidated.

remember most  Health and Safety guys, consider bleach to be a hazardous chemical in the work place, if you are undertaking work in a private property that premises becomes the work place.

not only that, but if you were to bleach into sinks or toilets pans, and then a child puts another chemical in after you have left the premises, then we are all in big trouble.

regards

martin

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 06:48:41 pm »
Looks like bleach has been laid to rest and Express Cleaning Supplies are about to get some business!!!!

Also, do you bring your own vaccum cleaner, brushes, mops, buckets, etc ????

Thanks for advice.

Bev ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 10:09:53 pm »
Bev

Have a look at this site

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=14589968&method=full&siteid=89488&headline=cleaning-rug-killed-grandad-name_page.html

Do you or your staff read labels?

You need to update your shopping list at Express and buy all the tools to do the job, using customers is it safe?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 11:19:22 pm »
Len

Very wise words!!!! If I clean inbetween me getting the Express goodies I will ensure I use my own gear, at least I have read the label!!!

Cheers
Bev

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 02:37:29 pm »
OK chaps and chappesses

I have my Data Sheets through the mail, each job we go out and use the products, I guess I need a folder with all this information in with the products?

As far as updates for these sheets, I don't suppose they get updated often by the manufacturer?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Bev  :)

Len Gribble

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 09:28:30 pm »
Bev

You are correct you will need a folder for each site you clean only if you leave any cleaning agent their, also one in the vehicle as you are transporting it.

You’re probably correct re manufactures; every time you buy from your supplier they should give you the data sheet.

I’ve been there with staff once had one try to stitch me up on equipment, got an electrical shock and went of sick for three days due to it, you supplied faulty equipment and I’m going to claim! Who do you think one?

You have got me thinking some cc sell spotting agents I wonder if they should supply data sheets.

martin19842

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2004, 12:08:59 pm »
nearly all cleaning chemicals have a COSHH data sheets, any areas that are not relevant are completed as NOT APPLICABLE then everybody knows about evry chemical.

so therefore your info folder should replicate your chemical stock.

one other thing, depending on what type of work you are doing, the next thing they will want is a COSHH ASSESSMENT, this is an assessment, on every chemical and the environment that it is being used in, once the assessment is done, then it produces an advice to reduce risk.

ie aerosol furntiure polish, used in such an environment sprayed for 2 minutes say, advice ventilate room.

regards

martin

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2004, 02:57:45 pm »
Thanks all for your advice, I really scratch my head with some of my competitors as I am working with cleaners that work elsewhere and getting some inside info.  It scares me!

There are so many out there that short cut, how do they get away with it regarding insurance? I want to get all my health & safety right now whilst I a start up, it is the only way to grow properly, keep people safe and happy.

Bev  ???

martin19842

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2004, 12:50:23 am »
once the paperwork is done, its done, regarding people that dont have insurance etc,  a lot of the commercial sector is now being serviced by bona fide contractors.

unfortunatel mr and mrs mopp are being swept away.  other companies that are working on the fringe of legit, are mostly small concerns.  if you are looking to clean upward of say 50 clients, then i would strongly suggest that everything is in order.

we are lucky as our commercial side is bearing all of the costs, and the domestic side piggy backs onto that.

regards

martin

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2004, 07:10:30 am »
Bev,

Or Forumn administrator.

Could you please explain why you are a Guest as you have been posting for some time. Not meant to offend just have nothing more importantant to think about at this hour 4am ;D :D
Also Martin in your self employed senerio.

Client pays £6 an hour £3 service charge who is responsible for tax.  collection service , insurance.

Is this the system operated by Seleclene.

Bev glad to see you are getting answers been reading your posts with interests.

How can the Teeside enterprise agecey say cleaning is not serious.

Years ago when in Newcastle I went along to start up seminar and everyone apart from me was going to be a window cleaner.

I hasd one of these more spectacular upmarket ideas.

I went bust.

I think the window cleaners had the right idea

Regards

Ian

martin19842

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2004, 12:08:33 pm »
ian,

thats weird domestic diva was a full member last night ?? something funny with the technology.

secondly.

if the client pays the cleaner £6.00 per hour the cleaner is technically and legally selfemployed, therefore they are responsible for tax.  the agency for use of a better word, is also making a taxable profit and therefore is liable for the tax on the profit of the £3 per hour, i hope that makes sense.

regarding the insurance the public liability can be held by the agency to cover the self employed contractor, however the wording on the agreement between agent and contractor has to be nice and tight.  or alternatively the responsibility can be moved to the self employed cleaner to provide the public liability insurance, as part of the deal of getting x amount of work.

is the system used by selclene, cant confirm that or not i know that there are some other companies using it successfully, whether they have borrowed it from selclene i couldnt confirm.

regards

martin