Mileage to Cleaners/Holiday Pay/Tax Threashold
« on: August 31, 2004, 03:16:18 pm »
Hi there

A question on mileage, if I take on cleaning staff for domestic cleans, do I pay mileage to them? My research is showing some of the franchises do, more so than the smaller firms like me.

Holiday Pay - in doing my workings out of hourly rate, what %age to I use per hour to factor in holiday pay so when staff are off they are covered and I am not out of pocket?

Tax - when I employ someone, even for say 2 hours a week do I need their P45? Are they responsible for declaring their own income if they have two jobs and are under the tax/NI treashold with me?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Kind regards
DD  :)

Fox

Re: Mileage to Cleaners/Holiday Pay/Tax Threashold
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 09:23:51 pm »
Hi DD

Mileage - this is personal choice - you can either pay your drivers at an enhanced hourly rate or allocate them a mileage allowance, either way you will have to offer them more than a non driver to get the staff.

Holiday pay - this is worked out (as minimum) as four weeks per year, example - they work 10 hours per week they are due in total 40 hours pay per year (this includes BH's).

Tax - doesn't matter if someone works 1 or 20 hours per week either a P45 or a P46 is required.  Submit P46 to tax office for their tax code, in the meantime they will need to be put on normal tax rate if they have ticked statement A or B only - if they have ticked no statement or statement C operate on a basic rate code.  Make sure you get one or the other before you take them on.
I suggest you call the new employers tax line they will send you out all relevant paperwork and are very helpful.

Fox

martin19842

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 11:12:18 pm »
a lot of the companies offering domestic services, have their staff on a self employed basis.  this will then keep your costs down.

regards

martin

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 11:49:36 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

If I employ someone and they are self employed does this not pose a question with insurance, i.e. if I take out employees insurance that they are not employees?  

Also, what obligations am I under to ensure these "sub-contractors as such" are paying tax and registered self employed with the tax office.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Bev aka DD  :)

martin19842

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 03:56:50 pm »
if your staff are self employed, then your inurance is for public liability, to include sub contractors,  they will need public liability insurance to cover their work

i do know of some companies that use all self employed cleaners, the cleaners pay between 2 and 10 pounds per week public liability, they then supply the company with the PL certificate, and the company doesnt need its own PL policy.

regarding self employed, you are paying an invoice to the cleaner. per week or month for cleaning services.  it is the responsibility of the cleaner to pay their tax and ni.

another way is for the client to pay the cleaner an hourly rate, the cleint then pays you a service charge either monthly or quarterly, for the provision and relaibility of the service.  therefore cleaners gets say £6 per hour and you charge the cleint a £3 per hour service charge, so 13 weeks at once a week, maens that you are invoicing the client £39 per quarter or £160 per year.

therefore 100 clients equals £16000 per annum in service charges.

it soon adds up.

regards

martin

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 06:30:25 pm »
if your staff are self employed, then your inurance is for public liability, to include sub contractors,  they will need public liability insurance to cover their work

i do know of some companies that use all self employed cleaners, the cleaners pay between 2 and 10 pounds per week public liability, they then supply the company with the PL certificate, and the company doesnt need its own PL policy.

regarding self employed, you are paying an invoice to the cleaner. per week or month for cleaning services.  it is the responsibility of the cleaner to pay their tax and ni.

another way is for the client to pay the cleaner an hourly rate, the cleint then pays you a service charge either monthly or quarterly, for the provision and relaibility of the service.  therefore cleaners gets say £6 per hour and you charge the cleint a £3 per hour service charge, so 13 weeks at once a week, maens that you are invoicing the client £39 per quarter or £160 per year.

therefore 100 clients equals £16000 per annum in service charges.

it soon adds up.

regards

martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for your help on this post and the other.

Just to clarify further, the service charge bit, is this like having an agency and if so, does this need to be registered? Also, the PL cover, I guess the cleaner is responsible for their own tax/NI & PL? I assume if I also do cleaning as well, even just as back up for a cleaner off sick that I would still need to keep my PL up?

Any advice is apprecited, lovely grey area hey and I still wait Business Link to get back to me on this advice, they seem just as good as the competition! I left two phone message and have e-mailed them to make an appointment for start up and employing people advice, it seems a fight all the way at the moment!

Cheers
Bev

martin19842

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 06:35:16 pm »
where in the country are you operating?

martin

martin19842

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 06:39:47 pm »

im not aware of any legislation requiring registration for an agency.  

regarding PL tax and NI yes that would be the cleaner operative responsibility.

correct that is right you would ahve to make sure that your PL is upto date aswell.

i havent spoken to business link at all, there is a saying that

THOSE THAT CAN RUN BUSINESS AND THOSE THAT CANT TELL YOU HOW TO.

so take care.

reagrds

martin

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 06:43:19 pm »
Hi Martin

Agreed on that.  I wanted to pick Business Links brains in as far as legal stuff, employing people, etc but I have had more joy out of this site.

A friend of mine that went into business many moons ago (not cleaning) and got shot in the foot from advice from an official "Business Set Up" organisation as she found out they took a cut of money????? I do not dispute this with her as she is a very hard working and honest lady, but made me think! Careful who to trust.

Cheers
Bev

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 06:44:01 pm »
where in the country are you operating?

martin

Teesside  :D

Just a cleaner.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 01:54:00 am »
I can honestly back up the Diva re Business Link.  The Tees Valley Business Link have been about as much use to my business as a chocolate fireguard.

These start-up agencies think cleaning is not a "serious business".  If you were a dickhead that wanted to be a marketing consultant or something like that they'd offer you all sorts of grants and advice.

They are totally useless.
When all the trees have been felled, and all the rivers are poisoned, we will dicover that we can't eat money.