Rousey

Builders Cleans
« on: August 09, 2004, 02:03:30 pm »
I have a domestic cleaning business, and I have the opportunity to do some builders cleans on a on going contract with Taylor Woodrow. But I have no experience in this area. Can some one help? Where do I start? What equipment do I need? Health and Safety etc? My main concern is the external clean, especially cleaning upper windows and fascia's, as alot of new builds are now 3 storey! ???

martin19842

Re: Builders Cleans
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 02:23:33 pm »
hi there,

we go live, on monday and will be working with a lot of the household name developerds, as a matter of interest which part of the country are you in.  ??

some things that you need to watch out for are;

1.) all staff should have steel toe caps, hi vis, and hard hats,

2.) you will also need to be CIS registered to get paid.

3.) agree the spec, per phase, ie build clean, revisit and sparkle clean, then you will all know where you are going.

4.) beware of discrepancies, as the clean is fininshed.

if you have any other questions or want to know any thing either email of reply.

regards

martin

Rousey

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 03:17:49 pm »
I am in Manchester.
How are you on the health and safety, and risk assesments.
Are you cleaning outside windows and fascias?
What are the rules and regulations for this?

As for the contract it self, I am fine on that, it is well explained with penaltys as well!
Thanks Martin,
Mark

Jake

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 11:01:50 pm »
mark

Most new houses built these days would have 'easy clean' or 'tilt and turn' windows fitted, (upper floor) enabling 2nd floor glass to be cleaned from inside, check with the site manager. Soffits, gutters and fascias could be cleaned before the scaffold is 'struck' or maybe invest in a wfp system?

Jake - Westclean
Exeter, Devon

Cloverleaf

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 12:50:15 am »
I agree with the above, health and safety, risk assesment etc, but there is much competition in this area.

In other words there are always companys that will put in a cheap quote for this for this work, just to get it.

God knows why, its the most stressfull cleanining you will do.

Builders not finished when you turn up, paint not dry, can you come back another day etc.

We have stopped doing these due to the above.

Domestic cleaning is more profitable and certainly less stressfull.

If you are in the cleaning buss, do the jobs you enjoy!

John

martin19842

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 11:30:55 am »
regarding competition, yes i agree there is competition, but more and more sites are health and safety conscious therefore they are willing to pay the right company to do the job properly.

speak to any builder, and their comments are that the cleaning is the biggest issue.

Also i wouldnt accept any penalties, regarding build cleans, thats not a good idea.

martin