Del Boy

When does work start to pick up ?
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:33:00 pm »
alright guys just wanted to ask when do you start to get busy as this will be my first year. I full I haven't cut any corners with setting up my business my website is one place on page one on google already as I'm good with SEO.

Also I have a load of good quality  flyers and business cards to give out and wondered when is the best time to give them out as I don't want to just waste them.

any advice would be great thanks.

Smurf

Re: When does work start to pick up ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:26 pm »
I would say spring/summer months tends to be the busy time for surface cleaning when homeowners are thinking about getting things done around their property. Also tend to get more enquires when they find out the electric diy washer they bought don't cut it or packs up so calls in a pro.

I use the term "pro" very loosely lol

Del Boy

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 08:17:18 am »
I would say spring/summer months tends to be the busy time for surface cleaning when homeowners are thinking about getting things done around their property. Also tend to get more enquires when they find out the electric diy washer they bought don't cut it or packs up so calls in a pro.

Smurf if we're talking about blasting holes in pipes then I am a pro lol.

So you think the fact I haven't had any calls yet combined with the fact It's a new business is pretty standard for the time of year ?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 08:56:07 am »
We've had on average  2 full days a week  of PW since October which I've been pleased with. I'm slightly pleased it's a quite time as it gives me time to get ready for the spring takeoff.

I'm hoping the PW leaflets we have been putting out every week are been put in kitchen drawers or pinned on notice boards ready for the weather to improve :)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 11:54:26 am »

Smurf if we're talking about blasting holes in pipes then I am a pro lol.

So you think the fact I haven't had any calls yet combined with the fact It's a new business is pretty standard for the time of year ?

If you are just promoting one service like domestic pressure washing. Then yes  it will be much slower or dead in your case in winter months for sure.

I'm more into full exterior property cleaning so don't just offer a  pressure washing service so am a one-stop shop so to speak.

On full exterior property cleaning render jobbies for instance  I tend to also softwash paved areas around the property for FREE (only if there is good profit in the job). Reason being the the run-off from the walls where the chem hits part cleans them anyway.  However depending how bad /large the areas are they want cleaning I would charge extra accordingly for a deeper clean using a washer as well if need be.

Sometimes I don't mention the ground hard surfaces at all until they see the difference whilst I'm working. Then they tend to ask how much to do them as well. That's the time for an easy upsell   ;)

On jobs like that most would want the following included:
1.  gutters & downspouts checked and cleared.
2. all plastics cleaned - gutters, downspouts,  fascias, soffits, bardgeborad etc
3. render walls cleaned & treated
4. stone sills  etc cleaned
4. windows & doors cleaned
5. paving, decking, patio areas driveways, etc cleaned

So the price of a single job can soon mount up. So can the investment you have to make on all the kit required to do the job properly.

Best you also don't try to use your washer on render as will knacker it. lol

Del Boy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 02:37:23 pm »
see at the min I only offer driving way cleaning and sealing etc. I just want to get a bit of experience doing driveways first than I will be expanding to other areas of cleaning.

How do you clean render then smurf if you don't use a jet wash to do so ?

M Roberts

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 05:16:35 pm »
When does work start to pick up ?   Now   ;)

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 06:01:46 pm »
see at the min I only offer driving way cleaning and sealing etc. I just want to get a bit of experience doing driveways first than I will be expanding to other areas of cleaning.

Do you have a full time job then?

No you don't need to use high pressure as the application of chems do all the work for you. Take a look at benz softwash site as is packed with useful information and vids.

Simon Campbell

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 06:05:44 pm »
You have to be patient as well Del Boy. It's take times to get your name out there. If you are a fairly new set up people won't know to call you if they don't know your out there...yet. You can never go wrong with the marketing basics at first such as leaflet dropping, sticking a sandwich board with your business info at the end of a driveway when you do get a job or a 'neighbour nudger'.

Im in to my fifth year now and it's only now I have the contacts to book in work all year round and my business model is built around a lifestyle choice. There is a certain amount I like to earn per day and I've managed to build up a solid customer base through just turning up on time, letting the customer know If I am going to be late and giving an honests day work for an honests day pay and it's set me in good stead. One thing I would advise is to NEVER ever go in too cheap just to fill your diary up, You do a cheap job for one person you have to offer the same price to all the neighbours and friends and you create a false economy being busy but not earning, a lesson I leanrt early doors. And as Smurf says offering a few other related services helps to get more work in, be careful not to spread yourself too thinly though.

Once your confidence grows it all gets a lot easier and you'll realise having your own business is decision you've ever made. So to  answer your question, should get proper busy about spring time  ;D

Del Boy

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 06:15:53 pm »

I own another business smurf that is doing really well I don't have to do much as I have 4 workers and I just now deal with the logistic side of the business. But I wanted another challenge so decided to set up this business ! 👍

Do you have a full time job then?

No you don't need to use high pressure as the application of chems do all the work for you. Take a look at benz softwash site as is packed with useful information and vids.

Del Boy

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 06:20:43 pm »
You have to be patient as well Del Boy. It's take times to get your name out there. If you are a fairly new set up people won't know to call you if they don't know your out there...yet. You can never go wrong with the marketing basics at first such as leaflet dropping, sticking a sandwich board with your business info at the end of a driveway when you do get a job or a 'neighbour nudger'.

Im in to my fifth year now and it's only now I have the contacts to book in work all year round and my business model is built around a lifestyle choice. There is a certain amount I like to earn per day and I've managed to build up a solid customer base through just turning up on time, letting the customer know If I am going to be late and giving an honests day work for an honests day pay and it's set me in good stead. One thing I would advise is to NEVER ever go in too cheap just to fill your diary up, You do a cheap job for one person you have to offer the same price to all the neighbours and friends and you create a false economy being busy but not earning, a lesson I leanrt early doors. And as Smurf says offering a few other related services helps to get more work in, be careful not to spread yourself too thinly though.

Once your confidence grows it all gets a lot easier and you'll realise having your own business is decision you've ever made. So to  answer your question, should get proper busy about spring time  ;D

Thanks for your reply Simon yes I agree with you total about being a busy fool and charging pennies . I have another business and I have gained a lot of experience from it so I know that a business is only as good as you make it. I have the marketing side down and my website is 1 place off page 1 on google already as I know how to do Seo effectively all been well I should do ok and if not o well it's only money can't take it with ya . God loves a trier

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 08:01:08 pm »
Once you have a few under your belt it will get easier. Or you may find you hate pressure washing altogether and flog your gear on the likes of fleebay within the year  ;D

Del Boy

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 08:21:03 pm »
Once you have a few under your belt it will get easier. Or you may find you hate pressure washing altogether and flog your gear on the likes of fleebay within the year  ;D

That could happen but I doubt it I'm the kind of person who don't like to be defeated by something.  I cant wait to just start getting out there but weather is poop at the min smurf 

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 08:00:46 am »
Del.

When offering services such as pressure washing, softwashing roofs etc yilou really need to target affluent areas who have got the money for these types of things. Of course you can get work anywhere but how many average semis would have their roof cleaned. U can honestly say I've never seen or heard of anyone having their rod cleaned in my city nor have I seen anyone offering it. I know from advertising presume washing most people have little backyards or small driveways and the jobs tend to be scratty.

Smurf

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 11:39:53 am »
Must admit I do like quoting but not so keen doing that for letter word bit that comes afterwords.