hank jr

Do you take on all kinds of cleaning work or just one type?
« on: December 08, 2013, 05:56:10 pm »
Hi all, i am considering moving into other avenues of cleaning as well as my window cleaning business. Has anyone else done this or do you concentrate on one particular type of cleaning?

I am thinking of getting other types of cleaning and outsourcing it to cleaners. Can anyone advise?

belgravia cleaning

Re: Do you take on all kinds of cleaning work or just one type?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 06:45:01 pm »
Hello Hank jr..im kinda in the same boat,looking to do carpet cleaning but keep it in house.
Alot more cleaning companies etc get asked to do work not in there remit,but hey,we all learning in different fields,can only be a good thing.
Are you looking to keep windows yourself and subbing the other work out,or are you looking to get involved yourself?

hank jr

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:49:37 pm »
Hello Hank jr..im kinda in the same boat,looking to do carpet cleaning but keep it in house.
Alot more cleaning companies etc get asked to do work not in there remit,but hey,we all learning in different fields,can only be a good thing.
Are you looking to keep windows yourself and subbing the other work out,or are you looking to get involved yourself?

Im looking to get involved my self. I would be naff at domestic cleaning i reckon, i would sub that out. But everything else i would do myself. I would seek some advice before i cleaned a carpet though....

as long as its priced right you can have people cleaning houses while your cleaning windows....

G O Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:38:22 am »
Hi all, i am considering moving into other avenues of cleaning as well as my window cleaning business. Has anyone else done this or do you concentrate on one particular type of cleaning?

I am thinking of getting other types of cleaning and outsourcing it to cleaners. Can anyone advise?
We offer a range of services, family run small team but have been operating since 2002, started off 'Pressure Washing'. Ignore any comments you may receive ref 'add on merchants', provide a quality service, use the 'right' equipment and get training if available.
 The hardest task is finding the right staff, years ago we used to offer a domestic daily cleaning service, had a decent size round, in the end we found it just wasn't worth the return, combined with the hassle. Now we simply pass on referrals commision basis
Good luck with it, Mike

hank jr

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:44:30 pm »

We offer a range of services, family run small team but have been operating since 2002, started off 'Pressure Washing'. Ignore any comments you may receive ref 'add on merchants', provide a quality service, use the 'right' equipment and get training if available.
 The hardest task is finding the right staff, years ago we used to offer a domestic daily cleaning service, had a decent size round, in the end we found it just wasn't worth the return, combined with the hassle. Now we simply pass on referrals commision basis
Good luck with it, Mike

Hi Mike thanks very much for your reply ( and everyone else ) but Mike i have been taking a look at your website and this is exactly the types of services i want to be offering. How would i go about getting training, can you recommend anyone? Thanks again, Hank

G O Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:37:43 pm »

Good luck with it, Mike

Hi Mike thanks very much for your reply ( and everyone else ) but Mike i have been taking a look at your website and this is exactly the types of services i want to be offering. How would i go about getting training, can you recommend anyone? Thanks again, Hank

If you intend to provide carpet / upholstery cleaning services - training prochem etc all been covered in carpet cleaning section simple search, same for hard floors. Pressure washing most guys are self taught initially starting off with friends and family to gain experince different surfaces etc. Some guys have done Smart seal courses I haven't so cant judge, for a new starter why not, if you get  a chance to play, will give you a basic insight into cleaning / sealing but dont believe the hype  :D  Rob on here did say he was looking into providing training not sure if he took it any futher ? If you intend to target com need IPAF training which may be usefull for Wc, if you havent got it already.

hank jr

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:51:19 pm »

Good luck with it, Mike

If you intend to provide carpet / upholstery cleaning services - training prochem etc all been covered in carpet cleaning section simple search, same for hard floors. Pressure washing most guys are self taught initially starting off with friends and family to gain experince different surfaces etc. Some guys have done Smart seal courses I haven't so cant judge, for a new starter why not, if you get  a chance to play, will give you a basic insight into cleaning / sealing but dont believe the hype  :D  Rob on here did say he was looking into providing training not sure if he took it any futher ? If you intend to target com need IPAF training which may be usefull for Wc, if you havent got it already.

Thanks again for all your help - much appreciated.

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 10:52:51 pm »
I also do allsorts. I clean carpets, 1 day every 8 weeks cleaning windows, I clear gutters, gum removal, grafitti, crime scene and trauma cleaning, pressure washing and drain jetting. I may not be an expert in everything but I am suitably proficient to get good results. I have done prochem courses which give you a base for the carpets. With regards to the pressure washing and jetting the WJA is the only course that I have ever been asked for
http://www.waterjetting.org.uk/

hank jr

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 12:19:39 am »
I also do allsorts. I clean carpets, 1 day every 8 weeks cleaning windows, I clear gutters, gum removal, grafitti, crime scene and trauma cleaning, pressure washing and drain jetting. I may not be an expert in everything but I am suitably proficient to get good results. I have done prochem courses which give you a base for the carpets. With regards to the pressure washing and jetting the WJA is the only course that I have ever been asked for
http://www.waterjetting.org.uk/

Now your talking, this is what i want to do! A mix of everything. did you just advertise for it and dive in the deep end? or did you buy equipment and practice a bit first?

Also as your already a cleaning business yourself, would you even contemplate undertaking domestic cleaning or builders cleans and subbing it out?

BDCS

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 06:19:30 pm »
I'm doing a builders / office carpet clean tomorrow. I don't sub anything but just get help when needed

hank jr

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 09:00:22 pm »
I'm doing a builders / office carpet clean tomorrow. I don't sub anything but just get help when needed

do you get most of your work through your website?

BDCS

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:20:36 pm »
All of our work is website or word of mouth

hank jr

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 09:24:25 pm »
All of our work is website or word of mouth

Thanks for being so helpful - much appreciated. Also i noticed you said " most of our work" do you have a partner? if so does it work out well?

BDCS

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 10:06:55 pm »
Its just myself and the long haired general in the office who also when needed foots ladders, loads the van, does builders cleans, eot cleans, comes to drain jobs etc etc. I also have a self employed bloke who works 2 days a week on the van with me

hank jr

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 10:09:46 pm »
Its just myself and the long haired general in the office who also when needed foots ladders, loads the van, does builders cleans, eot cleans, comes to drain jobs etc etc. I also have a self employed bloke who works 2 days a week on the van with me

Thanks again for all your help. Would you mind if i sent you a private email? Im just wondering if you could provide me a guide line on pricing jobs?

BDCS

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 11:04:05 pm »
Feel free

hank jr

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 11:54:25 pm »
Feel free

cheers, i just emailed you....

Pro-Smart

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 09:56:02 am »
Hi Hank - I asked the same question on this forum about a year ago as it happens...

I've been a windie for a couple of years now and I added pressure washing and surface sealing to my services back in March this year.

This was after some research and then some training... Bought a really good p/washer and Mosmatic rotary cleaner etc and I was off and running. It paid for itself within six weeks and has been a really good earner for Spring/Summer/Early Autumn. It quietens down in Autumn/Winter so I'm considering gutter cleaning (Sky Vac or Gutter Vac) which should be busier at this time of year with all the dead leaves etc...

To answer your question - yeah go for it. P/washing pays more money than w/cleaning by about double the day rate!

Kev

hank jr

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 08:40:05 pm »
Hi Hank - I asked the same question on this forum about a year ago as it happens...

I've been a windie for a couple of years now and I added pressure washing and surface sealing to my services back in March this year.

This was after some research and then some training... Bought a really good p/washer and Mosmatic rotary cleaner etc and I was off and running. It paid for itself within six weeks and has been a really good earner for Spring/Summer/Early Autumn. It quietens down in Autumn/Winter so I'm considering gutter cleaning (Sky Vac or Gutter Vac) which should be busier at this time of year with all the dead leaves etc...

To answer your question - yeah go for it. P/washing pays more money than w/cleaning by about double the day rate!

Kev

Hey thanks  for that info! Do you have a water tank in the back of your van or do you just use custies tap?

Pro-Smart

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 01:56:35 pm »

Kev

Hey thanks  for that info! Do you have a water tank in the back of your van or do you just use custies tap?

I've got a 600l tank but that's for the wfp pure water. I've only really used custies own water. Hasn't been a problem to date - I have a converted wheelie bin with a float valve and hose connector fitted which I use as a buffer tank...

Ashley Brothwood

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 12:36:58 pm »
We also do all types of work. if your looking at going into different types of cleaning the best thing to do is work out how much money you've got to spend for a start. You have basic set ups for pressure washing for about £1500 (2nd hand), £1000 - £2000 for carpet cleaning depending on which equipment you use, builders cleans need less investment but you may need to spent a bit of time trying to get the work. The next thing is to work out how fast you want it to pay itself back, pressure washing is quite quick but the more you make you'll want to spent it on a boiler to get steam, new lances, or another machine for bigger jobs. Domestic pressure washing tends to be spring summer time but commercial can be all year. Carpet cleaning can be throughout the year but doesn't have as faster return on investment as pressure washing.
If you can get regular builders cleans that pay on time and a good wage it can keep money coming in if other work dies down abit.