exoclean

What would you have done?
« on: September 15, 2005, 08:10:48 pm »
Today I was asked to quote for this old coach house in Hertfordshire, which apparently had been left idle for some time. It was a very large property spread out across quite a bit of land. When I got there, there were a few blokes quoting for various other jobs including a couple of lads who were asked to give a price on block paving the entire area, the same area I was asked to quote on pressure washing it. (Approx 500 sq mtrs). They had also asked me to price up doing the roof, which had like a carpet of moss on and it was not likely to take any sort of pressure. I point blank refused to even consider this as I am not experienced enough to take a job of this magnitude. They had also asked me to wash all the walls and various other bits and pieces.

The place itself was covered entirely in moss, weeds etc etc. You would have needed a skip or two just to clear all the growth. No joke. They wanted to know how soon I could start even though they are not due to take posession for another eight weeks! The couple themselves seemed to be darting from one contractor to another and I got a really bad feeling about this job. In the end I put in a real a high quote which they said they'll get back to me.

So with all this in mind what would you have done ??? ??? ????

martin19842

Re: What would you have done?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 08:39:34 pm »
hi there,

my view would have been to ascertain exactly the score, of what was required, i hate walking away from anything.

there maybe opportunities.

regards

martin

preston powerblast

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:30:57 pm »
I would have asked them to work with me, on this job and broke it up into areas.
I would have first established what it was they wanted doing, then broke it down into man hours and if need be brought in another cleaner with a machine.
I am the same I hate walking away as I love the job.
I get a great sense of satisfaction when its done.
But when it comes down to man hours and pricing my machine is quoted as a man, plus its running costs.

exoclean

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:52:18 pm »
Hi there,

When I got there the woman said have a look around and tell me what you think, which I did. Then I asked the husband to walk around with me explaining to him exactly what I would do and how I arrived at the price I even explained to him all possible dangers and why I would not be using chemicals in certain areas. Which in my opionion he didn't seem to care all he was interested in was the pounds, shillings and pence. I explained to him how long it would take and why, after telling me the job would take just one day!!!

Thanks for the feedback

ps. message for Gary, your contact didn't call today.

preston powerblast

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 08:17:27 am »
sounds like you did all that I would do, some people just have no idea. They think you can just strim weeds with your washer, I have even had them say, Ive got a powerwasher I might do it myself.
I always encourage them to do so and this is when the price increases.
Like i always say you win some you lose some.

I have passed on your details to him.