windowswashed

Re: May be.dodgy
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 10:27:42 pm »
happens to us all even after 26 years of window cleaning..........i picked up a job 3 months ago,£60 first clean and £50 12 weekly going forward,i set my stall out...... she agreed the price and frequency,nice as pie,made me a coffee and chatted to me for a while as i was cleaning etc....texted her last night for side gate to be left unlocked......."the windows dont look too bad yet darren can you text me at the end of april and we ll see then" ::)roll...dumped.... >:(

the windows were filthy.....i took my time and made sure they were gleaming.took around 90 mins as its a large 5 bed house(valued at £864,000 at present)....ive already replaced her with a few monthly jobs i picked up last week so not too bothered...just annoyed....

how the hell do they expect us to make a living messing us about like that?they both run a business themselves......

mind you i bet the mortgage and bills add up to over £3k a month on that property......

I would have dumped it too. longer than three months and wants it when it suits them with you to keep chasing them when they want it done....automatically dumped

RPCCS

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 10:46:45 pm »
You usually find these types just before Xmas.I had one years ago , used to do the windows for previous owner, and next door. I knocked when new owner moved in, a divorcee who had downsized from the posh estate, she said do them a couple of time, I'll try it and see what you're like. Needlessss to say I didn't even bother. I might be just a window cleaner, but won't be treated like a servant.
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 10:56:11 pm »
Not long after I first started. I picked up this job, very posh woman, after a couple of times she started addressing me by my surname, without the Mr in front. I jumped on it straight away and said my name is ..... , no neec for formalities. Next time I went same thing again, I said look its Mr ..... if you wish to be formal, but please do not call me by my surname, I'm not your butler. She walked over and almost pressed her face in mine " all the time you are in my employment, I will call you as  I wish."   Picked up the ladders and bucket and walked down the drive saying" I've just declared myself redundant"  Her " you can't do that!" Me " watch me!" Bitch!!!
Cheers Rich

G & M

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 11:04:07 pm »
I just don't understand some of you guys, getting upset about these customers.  You call out to look at the job and if you think they won't be regular you get the hump and leave wasting your own time instead of cleaning the window at a good price and if they become regular customers great and if not you've lost nothing.  I text my customers the evening before I'm in the area and if they want the windows cleaned they get cleaned and if not I don't care.  We also have loads of people who ring every now and then. The thing is a lot of these will ring to get their gutters, fascia, soffit cleaned  or some power washing done as well when it suits them.

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 08:05:21 am »
I just don't understand some of you guys, getting upset about these customers.  You call out to look at the job and if you think they won't be regular you get the hump and leave wasting your own time instead of cleaning the window at a good price and if they become regular customers great and if not you've lost nothing.  I text my customers the evening before I'm in the area and if they want the windows cleaned they get cleaned and if not I don't care.  We also have loads of people who ring every now and then. The thing is a lot of these will ring to get their gutters, fascia, soffit cleaned  or some power washing done as well when it suits them.

just depends how you operate.......i dont want one offs...i really cant be arsed with them generally...i want regular work whether its monthly,2 monthly or 3 monthly(eg a regular schedule)......not for them to ring me when their windows are extra dirty.....i do occasionally do one off jobs but its usually add on jobs which just happens to include the windows too.....
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 08:16:45 am »

I think what it may be is that we sometimes (especially in the early years) don't set out our stall for fear of not getting a new customer when we need them more and the habit is ingrained.

I now try to be flexible but in general terms ...

1. The first clean price is always more.  If I meet them before quoting and say the 8 weekly price is going to be £20 then I would charge about £30 first time depending how mucky they are and the "vibe" I pick up from them. Nine times out of ten this works fine.

2.  If they actually volunteer they want a one off clean or an "as and when clean" then whether I did them would depend upon my mood. (I'd be less inclined if they were in a patch of compact work where they might "infect" their neighbours with "one-off-itis and I only offer this to bigger properties where it is worth going to - say £40 plus)

If I have gone there mid afternoon on my way home and I'd be twiddling my thumbs then I might do it there and then for a cash payment or even cheque or transfer if it felt right. Or I might say let me fit it in if I get a quiet day over the next couple of weeks.

3. If I get the vibe they are after a one off at a cheap price I might do anything from "2" above (up the price and do it) or walk away.

4. If I do get caught out with "not today it is" - I remind them we agreed to a regular clean and if they still say no then I always say - okay give me a call. Then if they do when their windows are minging  I tell them I've thought about it and that I'm too busy for customers who say they will be regular for a cheap price and then stop and I wish them well in finding someone.  ;D

It's a game of three halves!

Johnny B

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 08:24:54 pm »

Exactly.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Slacky

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 08:04:48 am »
I went to quote one today which is en route to a nice area i work in. As soon as i drove down the street, looking at the state of the houses and gardens, I know ive made a mistake. But im a man of my word and went to price the job.
So i told her £14 every 4 or £18 every 8wks. She said she needed to talk to her partner but it was very evident that there was no partner. She then said could i do it whilst there however 😂😂😂
Now i did think of charging double as a one off clean but I aint time for that. So i simply explained that I do not clean one offs as im busy with my regular work to break off from.  I always give a reason and always polite about it, dispite how they may be. They can never call me for being rude or worse.

But this is why if the quote is in my areas where i work, i prefer to speak to them or see the house before i quote.  I ask them first if the price is right are they looking for a regular window cleaner?  I base my response to the gutt feeling to the answer to that question and take it from there

D'you think her 'gut feeling' told her you were likely to bugger off to Scotland soon, dumping all your existing work, and she realised you were just a 'one-off' cleaner?

Walter Mitty

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 08:07:25 am »
For me, it depends.  If I'm already there, they want them cleaned, and I have the time, I'll probably clean.  I won't normally do ad hoc, but if it's well worth my while and not near existing customers who may try to do the same, I'll probably do it.  It costs though.

I have a job coming up very soon where the neighbour got me to clean last time around.  The arrangement was for a regular clean but I'd need to text for a gate to be unlocked.  She said that she'd text me her number.  Not heard a peep out of her.  It may simply be that she lost my number, but my gut tells me it was a one off.  It's a bit irritating because they were hard work and I only charged my standard rate.  I figured it would be okay as they were only next door.  Even after many years it's still possible to get caught out.  I'm taking the view that as it was going to be the last job of the day anyway, I earned a little extra, albeit at a lower hourly rate than usual.

nathankaye

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 10:21:58 am »
I went to quote one today which is en route to a nice area i work in. As soon as i drove down the street, looking at the state of the houses and gardens, I know ive made a mistake. But im a man of my word and went to price the job.
So i told her £14 every 4 or £18 every 8wks. She said she needed to talk to her partner but it was very evident that there was no partner. She then said could i do it whilst there however 😂😂😂
Now i did think of charging double as a one off clean but I aint time for that. So i simply explained that I do not clean one offs as im busy with my regular work to break off from.  I always give a reason and always polite about it, dispite how they may be. They can never call me for being rude or worse.

But this is why if the quote is in my areas where i work, i prefer to speak to them or see the house before i quote.  I ask them first if the price is right are they looking for a regular window cleaner?  I base my response to the gutt feeling to the answer to that question and take it from there

D'you think her 'gut feeling' told her you were likely to bugger off to Scotland soon, dumping all your existing work, and she realised you were just a 'one-off' cleaner?

;D ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

RPCCS

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 08:05:31 am »
And give people the chance to treat you like dirt?   No!  I don’t want one offs and just for Xmas jobs.
If people want my services, it’s on my terms or not at all.  A window cleaner is for life, not just for Xmas.😀😀😀
Cheers Rich

Spruce

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2019, 08:28:30 am »
I always look at first cleans as though they are going to be one-offs.

If they turn into regulars then great. If they prove to be one-offs I am not bothered as long as I have earned enough from them.

John

most jobs i clean turn into regular jobs though....this very rarely happens esp with it being a large house,these sorts of customers are usually good as gold.....

on a side note ive just found out that kleeneze and betterware went bust last year...no wonder she doesnt want her windows cleaned regularly....(she and her husband were overseeing 200 distributors for this company) ::)roll

I  wondered why we stopped getting their order books through the door.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2019, 08:32:19 am »
Thats why a first price or even signing upto gocardless will weed out the potential messers.

I agree with Nathan here. I’m new signing up to GoCardless but it’s a great way to see if a new customer is going to be a decent regular one. Had 3 prices accepted this week and only 1 agreed to sign up so for me with new jobs now they sign up or I don’t take them on. The other 2 I just knew/felt they would probably be messers

nathankaye

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 01:12:32 pm »
Ive been talking to (yes as in a phone call lol) to a JW in paisley scotland. Hes just been doing wfp for just over a yr and is currently on 2grand a month and he is part time.  So it depends where you are i suppose.

For me, before these other plans of mine, i was going to concentrate on building more work up. I have been doing this via posting flyers in newish areas where ive been working for about a year.  Ive been getting a steady influx but i wanted to canvass as thats the way forward; "old school" its just my circumstances dont allow or didnt. But ive still had a steady influx of well paying jobs coming in and signing up.  However the odd facebook enquiries didnt want to sign up and wanted to think about it but could i do a one off whilst there.  The look on their face when i say no is priceless!  They have selective hearing as i just tell them how busy i am and that i do not do one offs.

Yet i agree, i wouldnt like to start as a newbie in the area where i am.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk