The Jester of Wibbly

Hot Brakes on your Van
« on: February 26, 2019, 01:21:22 pm »
Anyone noticed they are getting hot brake discs on you van?   I noticed mine were hot after i went to wash my front wheel it started steaming.    I took it to my brake centre who said my pads and discs are in great condition but thought the discs were hotter than normal from his experience.   Its not sticking callipers as the pads are not wearing so he was a little unsure why.

So think it might be how we use our vans with lot of  residential driving.  I am not hard on my brakes either as i am a steady driver.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Martin Lane

Re: Hot Brakes on your Van
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 02:27:15 pm »
i had this on a traffic van mainly the left had side front wheel so hot you could not touch it, i had new calipers put on and still the same, l think in the end they replaced the master brake cylinder and this sorted it out,

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 02:37:13 pm »
i had this on a traffic van mainly the left had side front wheel so hot you could not touch it, i had new calipers put on and still the same, l think in the end they replaced the master brake cylinder and this sorted it out,

Thanks. Mines a trafic too. 

How much did it cost you?
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Martin Lane

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 02:50:02 pm »
To be honest not sure off the top of my head £200 - £300
l am no mechanic but if i remember there is a way they can test  to see if the brake master cylinder is working properly, think mine was not releasing the brakes properly  on one side

cleaniac

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 04:15:37 pm »
This is a joke thread right?

All brakes get hot, it's a normal part of operation.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 04:21:38 pm »
This is a joke thread right?

All brakes get hot, it's a normal part of operation.

thats what i thought!....mine always get hot after a drive.......nothing to worry about...ITS NORMAL.... :)
price higher/work harder!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 04:27:53 pm »
Not a joke but got a bit worried.  Garage that does my tyres and brake pads said they are very hot way over average.    After a while in use they start to grind which should not happen.

cleaniac

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 04:42:55 pm »
Not a joke but got a bit worried.  Garage that does my tyres and brake pads said they are very hot way over average.    After a while in use they start to grind which should not happen.
Garage is trying to rip you off and scare you into having work done that's not needed.

There is no 'normal' temperature, the more you use them the hotter they get. If they didn't get hot, they wouldn't stop you as it's the transfer of kinetic energy through friction into heat that stops you.

If they are grinding a bit, check there isnt grit stuck between the inside rim and caliper,check to make sure the correct pads are fitted, and check they are seated properly, also check the caliper and disk backing plate, they are thin and sometimes a stone or rock will knock and bend it making it touch the inside wheel or disk.

But if a garage says, your brakes are getting hotter than normal...go back and ask them to check the indicator fluid, the oil plug gaps, and check to make sure the electrons in your wires are all topped up, and your tire coolant levels are legal...cowboy alert..

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 05:06:00 pm »
Garage is trying to rip you off and scare you into having work done that's not needed.

There is no 'normal' temperature, the more you use them the hotter they get. If they didn't get hot, they wouldn't stop you as it's the transfer of kinetic energy through friction into heat that stops you.

If they are grinding a bit, check there isnt grit stuck between the inside rim and caliper,check to make sure the correct pads are fitted, and check they are seated properly, also check the caliper and disk backing plate, they are thin and sometimes a stone or rock will knock and bend it making it touch the inside wheel or disk.

But if a garage says, your brakes are getting hotter than normal...go back and ask them to check the indicator fluid, the oil plug gaps, and check to make sure the electrons in your wires are all topped up, and your tire coolant levels are legal...cowboy alert..

Thanks for the advice buddy.  Got them cleaned out today so testing them tomorrow.  The garage I used only does brake pads so not trying to get me to do anything else.     It's in for its service next week anyway so will get them to check.  The pads are the branded ones so should be ok.  I know they get hot but with the grinding and temp I got a worried.

Van got jet washed today too and steam everywhere when the front wheels where done.

cleaniac

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 05:24:24 pm »
  The garage I used only does brake pads 

That's your alarm bell right there!

A garage that only does brake pads?  ::)roll

Don't waste your time there any longer, take it to a proper mechanic.  A garage that only does brake pads isn't a garage, that's someone who hasn't got the skills to do anything else, and will tell you that your 'brakes are getting hotter than normal'  :P :P because that's what brakes do, they get hot.. and....well that's just incredible tbh

You can't make it up on here sometimes......lol.. no offence Jester..😁😆😉

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 05:54:14 pm »
Yep. Its a tyre, exhaust and brake garage.  Used them for many years without hastle with a good rep.

It's being checked by Renault next week anyway

Martin Lane

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 06:10:42 pm »
my lads driving down the A3 had to pull over smoke everywhere the brake disc was red hot

Smudger

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 07:07:00 pm »
all of the above indicate brake problem -  I would suspect a sticking caliper or in the case of grinding worn pads and your getting metal to metal during sustained braking

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 07:12:17 pm »
The answer is simple.

Buy a transit custom.

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 08:58:11 pm »
The answer is simple.

Buy a transit custom.

or

Boxer,  relay,  ducato, hi ace,  dispatch, iload, LDV V80 the list goes on but NOT vivaro or primaster

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

CleanClear

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 11:34:29 pm »
all of the above indicate brake problem -

The topic title on its own didn't do it for you ?  ;D ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

deeege

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 06:17:05 am »
  The garage I used only does brake pads 

That's your alarm bell right there!

A garage that only does brake pads?  ::)roll

Don't waste your time there any longer, take it to a proper mechanic.  A garage that only does brake pads isn't a garage, that's someone who hasn't got the skills to do anything else, and will tell you that your 'brakes are getting hotter than normal'  :P :P because that's what brakes do, they get hot.. and....well that's just incredible tbh

You can't make it up on here sometimes......lol.. no offence Jester..😁😆😉

It sounds like your accountant is branching out into car maintenance to me 😂
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 08:10:48 pm »
I went to a hypnotist to help me stop drinking and left wanting to buy a certified preowned Audi. Conveniently my hypnotist’s brother owned an Audi dealership. ???
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget