Linfield

Too Old ?
« on: August 17, 2006, 09:38:46 pm »
I put this in the wrong section, so, here it is in hopefully the right one...............

I'm thinking of starting a CC business, but at 54 I'm concerned about the physical side of the work.
I'm pretty fit ( I jog to the pub every night) Grin.
But how hard is the work?

Tony

HolmansUKLTD

Re: Too Old ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 07:46:58 am »
Carpetclean you can answear this one ;)
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

craigp

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 08:24:51 am »
it can be tough on your back, a TM would save heavy lifting, oh also, dont advertise 'we move furniture' that way customers see it as there job to move furniture, again that will save your back,

i advertised that for years got nothing extra for it so dont now. it can be hard but depends how many jobs you want to do a day.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:06:35 am »
Where are you from? Maybe you could go out with someone for a day and see what you think that way?

Regards Rob.

carpetclean

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 12:27:17 pm »
cheeky sod nick but oddly enough i am the same age and find it a breeze compared to decorating. i actually enjoy going to work to clean carpets but some jobs are more demanding than others depending how much stuff needs shifting . i dare say its all down to the individual and what they have been used to  i have always done physical work and don't find it a problem i have had many people working for me over the years and i have sacked many a twenty something for not having the energy to do a days work usually people who have worked with computers and decided to try and earn a few extra bob , after a couple of hours they have had it
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

AquaMagic

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:29:57 pm »
Not me i work in a contact centre and am building up my cc co in my part time, im a twenty something and have worked in the office for about 10 years but i absolutelly love getting out there and grafting and going to new places, even enjoy putting out the flyers, is there something wrong with me?

Dene

Dave Roelants

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 02:53:58 pm »
Probably!
Best Regards, Dave,
Lakeland Carpet Cleaning, 1st in the UK with 4 to the door!

Fibreclean

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 03:23:35 pm »
It's a good job where all diferent in this world.

Somethink we're too young or too old.

Some like t/m's others prefer portys.

Some like upholstery cleaning others don't

Some swear by one chemical others another.

What works for one might work better or not at all for another.

One thing for certain, enjoy life while you can because very soon we shall all be departing this world and going onto the next.

...and you can't take your machines (or your money) with you....    ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 03:33:31 pm »
Hi Tony,

Carpet cleaning is a difficult business to get established in.

It is worth considering whether you have the desire to give it the required marketing effort.

Cheers

Doug

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 04:16:42 pm »
Doug right the tough bit is putting leafles out for 6 to 8hrs a day to start with and when you get the jobs to put leaflets out aswell as cleaning to keep the pot boiling

Glynn

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 04:21:32 pm »
The main requirment is the desire for this job.
Regards
Glynn

Linfield

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 06:33:14 pm »
Thanks for the replies, guy's.
I live near sunny wolverhampton and have been working in engineering for a few years.
Looking for something totally different and a bit easier.

I suppose I could get one of my sons to do the hard work, and I could just...well er...supervise.

Tony

PaulKing

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 07:08:45 pm »
been cleaning for 22 years and Truck Mounts definatly save your back. I  was going to wrap it all in 3 years ago, and look path, due to back problems, and my first TM was the turning point for me.  I hated the fact it kept breaking down a lot, otherwise I would still have it.

So strech yourself and enter the market running and save yourself a lot of effort, many TM user here will tell you the jobs you can't reach with a TM, you pass to a portable only cleaner,( or do with your own back up portable) 

Do the job the right way, but remember  "MER"= MINIMUM EFFORT REQUIRED

The jobs tough enough at times,  why make it any harder ?

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Phil Marlor

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 08:28:05 pm »
The main requirment is the desire for this job.

Very wise words!

I also have to agree that with a TM life is much easier, if you are from Wolverhampton it wont be long before you come accross a Mr Dave Ingram, go and see him, he will give you good advise, like you he is also very old, he lives in a Warden controled flat a mile outside Wolverhampton. ;)

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

Linfield

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 08:50:50 pm »
Thanks for the advice Phil.

A Wardon controlled flat eh!.
They're usually police controlled in Wolverhampton.
He must live up the posh end.

I'm starting to think I should look for something a little less arduous. I mean....I have to have my afternoon nap....and then there's my tablets....... ;)

I've had some sort of manual work all my life (I've done a lot of different things, too numerous to mention). I've been self employed before, and I can't wait to get back to it. Much better than working for someone else.

Neil Gott

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 09:05:53 pm »
Give it a go! It's a great way to earn a living. pace yourself and DONT RUSH. I'm 71 and have no intention of packing in until my body does. Retirement does not appeal to me. Apart from that I need  the money. 
Neil Gott     Southampton U.K.

www.neilgott.co.uk

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 09:08:53 pm »
You Cheeky Bar Stuard Phil,
Any one want to buy a Tom Tom Sat Nav nearly belonged to Phil Marlor, do I hear a £1 to start the bidding

Phil Marlor

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 09:17:31 pm »

Hahahaha,
 ;D ;D

Dont forget now, when you go to the bathroom "DONT PULL THE ORANGE CORD" you will wake everyone up at the Council!

See you tommorow mate!

Phil

Stevenage, Herts

Phil Marlor

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 09:48:45 pm »

I mean....I have to have my afternoon nap....)

So dose Dave! ;)

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

Reno's Carpet Care

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 07:10:17 pm »
Get a ROTOVAC, Tony.  I am 54 and this handy labor saver does the trick for me.

Mike Reno
Duck Country Carpet Cleaning
Baby Safe Carpet Cleaning
Eugene Oregon USA
Member Very Low Moisture Carpet Cleaners Association
http://www.vlmcca.org

Dave_Lee

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 07:33:35 pm »
Would I start Carpet Cleaning at 54. No I wouldnt, you will be 60 before you get fully established. Carpet Cleaning is hard work but the work going into becoming established is harder and unrelenting. It also depends on what you did before, I mean rather than build up the required muscle groups to do the job, at 54 you would be more likely to suffer repetative muscle strains.
I am 60 and cope just fine with the work, but I built up the muscle a long time ago. I have been carpet cleaning 27 years, but was nine years in the army before that and have always been fit. I still run marathons and am more actively involved in mountaineering than ever. Whatever YOUR background at 54 I would have reservations about starting from scratch in this business. Sorry, but just being honest.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

timhersey

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 07:49:09 pm »
I am 67 and I do not feel to old , to day I my job was a 4 bed house £475 I am full every day most days I do over £200 it is very hard work and if you are not used to it and are new and have to build up customers you might find it hard Tim Surrey

Aladdin C.C.

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 07:55:02 pm »
I took early retirement from an office job when I was 58 and started carpet cleaning on a part time basis and I still do this at 65. I only do domestic jobs and use a Rug Doctor which does the scrubbing and it is not heavy to cart around.

rambly

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 08:16:05 pm »
If you have the health and willpower you can do it!

Like many physical activities it is partly technique that provides the satisfactory conclusion, with the right amount of effort. I know 30 year old pot bellied lardies who struggle with a ring pull and a guy in his 60s who lifts and moulds concrete paving slabs.

Age is not the primary issue, being able to pace yourself if you have the stamina and fitness is more important.

;)
Remember the 8th commandment:
Thou shalt not steal - Gordon Brown hates competition.

John_Flynn

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 08:19:49 pm »
I got out of Carpet Cleaning earlier this year aged 58 after 6 years in the job, I am now waiting to see the Nuro-surgeon about a serious back operation. KEEP CLEAR!!!
I get better looking each day!!

Neil Grainger

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 08:21:12 pm »
Hi John

How is the new venture going?

Hope your back is not to bad

Cheers

Neil

stevegunn

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 08:34:32 pm »
How's it going John when you say serious how serious?

Hope everything works out for you

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2006, 10:24:04 pm »
54 is certainly not too old to start carpet cleaning,I have always done manual labour jobs and cc is definitely one of the easiest jobs I have had.
I agree you have to be reasonable fit and active but you don't need to be superman.
On the other hand,a friend was considering going into cc alongside domestic cleaning,he is 58, very overweight,smokes about a 100 a day,and tying up his shoelaces brings him out in a sweat,he would have given himself a hernia or a heart attack so as a friend I talked him out of it.
Being more mature should not hold you back if you feel able to do it,go for it,let's be honest most of us geriatric ccs can run circles round the youngsters anyday. :)
John

anpneltd

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2006, 10:40:04 pm »
Tony
I am 55 in November and I started my business just 2 years ago. I love it and have absolutely no regrets. If you have the desire just DO IT!! Age doesn't come into it.
Good luck I wish you every success!
Allen

Mark Roberts

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2006, 11:08:52 pm »
Its rare you see a fat carpet cleaner lol.

Just one decent job a day, 5 days a week is enough for many to make a comfortable living.

Most people can manage that, obviously marketing and running the business as well takes up time and effort, but like any self employment the desire to succeed is more important than your age.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2006, 07:12:03 am »
Aladdin CC

Are you still using your Rug Doctor.

I started with a Rug Doctor  the Wide Track .

I think it produces good results etc and still use it occasionally on small jobs.

I had to put my own brand stickers on it to avoid hire shop comments.

Would be interested to know what prices you are acheiving with it.

Fibreclean

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2006, 11:17:23 am »
Aladdin CC

Are you still using your Rug Doctor.

I started with a Rug Doctor  the Wide Track .

I think it produces good results etc and still use it occasionally on small jobs.

I had to put my own brand stickers on it to avoid hire shop comments.

Would be interested to know what prices you are acheiving with it.

Its unbelievable that a person who is supposed to be qualified (and moderates on here) uses a RUG DOCTOR. Ummm, I think Im going to ban him.... not good....   ;D

John Kelly

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2006, 11:42:31 am »
Whats the problem. A rug doctor used by a qualified person can give excellent results. Quite adequate for doing one small room. I wouldn't like to have to rely on one for all my work.

Fibreclean

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2006, 11:52:31 am »
ummm i dont think so

Mark Roberts

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2006, 12:10:06 pm »
Its possible to achieve great results with any extraction machine although it might take longer to get there,  you just put more effort into the preb work i.e hoovering, agitation using the right chems etc

Fibreclean

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2006, 12:42:35 pm »
yeap, but you can spend all day doing all that for £30.

And then people say, hang on a min I hired wanna those last year for a tenner! Are you taking the p-ss?

Mark Roberts

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2006, 02:14:21 pm »
Most customers have never seen an extraction machine, they can even hire twin vac portys these days if they want, what they should be paying for is the operator and his skill regardless of machine.

The point is you can acheive great results with any system, just depends whos using it.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2006, 08:24:19 am »
The specs on the Rug Doctor are equal to many machines  Its twice the size of the hire machine. Also it has my own brand stickers.  I did use to  hire machine out but gave up on this idea. I use it very occasionally and it usually a charity case or a very small bedsit. This machine is sold to the Residential Care  Market.

The water recovery is excellent.

In reality I use it about twice year often when Im doing a charity type job.

gerrystyles

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2006, 09:21:02 am »
You are never too old to do what works for you. I have been using portable for six years, I get my first TM next month

jasonl

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2006, 12:39:03 pm »
54,64,74 ALL a great age, everyone has mised the most important  aspect of CC ......PERSONALITY. and older people GENERALLY have more conversation,customer care,positive attitude and life skills. The physical side can be overcome with the right skills, equipment and capital to start up........ eg run a business, not a job, employ people to clean from day one, I have seen several that have done that successfully. My dad is a stroke victim aged 54 and runs a successful operation ... he only has the use of his left side.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

thepez17

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2006, 03:52:24 pm »
i have had many people working for me over the years and i have sacked many a twenty something for not having the energy to do a days work usually people who have worked with computers and decided to try and earn a few extra bob , after a couple of hours they have had it

before i started my company, i worked with computers. :-)

p.s my old man is over sixty and he does a few jobs for me now and then and he loves it. your'll be fine.
'It's ganna cost ya love'

John_Flynn

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2006, 09:36:18 pm »
Thanks Neil and Steve for asking about my back, I will update after I have been to the Pain Clinic on 31st August. last time I went to see Dr Pain he put me on Morphine Patches, apart from killing the pain they made me want to sleep so I binned them, Ooopppppps wonder what Dr Pain will say???
I get better looking each day!!

carpetcleaning4u

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2006, 10:09:40 pm »

The specs on the Rug Doctor are equal to many machines

The water recovery is excellent.

What exactly is the technical spec  ??? - if the  price is right - perhaps we should all get one  ;D
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master !!