shine services

bitchumen identifying
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:38:07 am »
Hi all, iv got a commercial c/c comming up this week, went to price it recently. Large office areas and hallways/stairs in a factory  but coudnt identify wether its was bitchumen backed carpet tiles as the carpet was securly fixed at every edge. The manager didnt know either, he just said there was no underlay under the carpet. I dont really want to start hwe and then find bitchumen pulling through. I dont use bonnet cleaning at the minute either (have to save the pennys first). What would you guys suggest? Any way of identifying without ripping up the tiles?

mike ross

Re: bitchumen identifying
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:31:50 am »
Hi mate I don't think you have much choice but to prize away the tile from the edge to make sure. The likely hood It will be bitchumen backed!

Jim_77

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:17:33 am »
If they're the standard low profile looped pile polyprop carpet tiles that you see all over the place, then they are almost guaranteed to be bitumen backed.

Simple, just treat them as if they are :)

As long as you don't use certain solvent spotters sprayed directly on to the carpet you shouldn't have any problems.

shine services

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:05:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply guys,
 yeh il just treat it as such, ultrapac hot, dwell, really good agitate, hwe on low psi and spot with citrus gel and a good flush.
 Just havnt done many commercial tile  jobs and dont want mess it up. Might think about getiing bonnett to finish these sort of jobs off.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:23:29 pm »
ultrapac hot, dwell, really good agitate, hwe on low psi and spot with citrus gel and a good flush.

If you're going to agitate do you really need to use hot ultrapac? As U/p will remove grease/oil I'd be a little bit concerned about that coming into contact with the bitumen, likewise with the citrus gel.
Use citrus gel but indirectly ie put onto a cloth first and then apply carefully to the spot.
But as i said if you're going to agitate then why not try something a little less aggresive.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:15:49 pm »
Hi Guys

You have to test whether it is bitumen or not by lifting a tile.

Bitumen is actually pretty difficult to emulsify and provided you do not soak it or use solvents you should be fine.

I would use Pureclean and agitate with a reasonable dwell.

Powerburst would also be ok if you spary finely.

Cheers

Doug

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 05:43:40 pm »
Avoid any citrus type spotting products which contain d'limonene

Also you should avoid any solvent spotters that contain variations of Propylene glycol monobutyl ether (you'll find this in the MSDS sheets)

Hilton

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 11:31:48 am »
Very simply if you can not lift any tiles, although I suspect around the edges you would be able to find at least one cut that will lift but assuming you can't, go to an inconspicuous area and and put a small pin nail or a tufting needle into the tile and pull it out slowly, if has a brown marks on it or an oily feel it bitumin.Alternatively do it on a join.

Rubber backed will be very much more pliable than bitumin tiles which are stiff and do not bend easy.

shine services

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 01:55:44 pm »
Starting the job tonight so we,l see how we go. Iv got a tub of powerburst in the van so think il give it a go instead. Blocks the sprayer tip sometimes tho  >:(
Think il end up liftin a tile as want to be sure what im dealing with.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 02:03:51 pm »
Starting the job tonight so we,l see how we go. Iv got a tub of powerburst in the van so think il give it a go instead. Blocks the sprayer tip sometimes tho  >:(Think il end up liftin a tile as want to be sure what im dealing with.

Mix nice and hot in a jug first give it a good stir if you mix it right it will be fine
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Jim_77

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 02:31:10 pm »
A couple of tips for mixing powdered chemicals (you probably do most of this anyway but good advice for anyone else reading):

- Use a bucket, don't mix directly in a sprayer
- Add the powder to the water, NOT the other way round
- After mixing in a bucket, let it stand for a good 5 minutes or so to fully dissolve, then stir again
- Pour the mixture into your sprayer through a terry towel, which will filter out and hard lumps that haven't dissolved

shine services

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 05:20:08 pm »
I never thought of the terry towel idea. Il remember it :)

Jim_77

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 05:40:53 pm »
The carpet protector I use can have lumps in it sometimes so that's where I came up with that idea!

Just out of interest, what sized jet do you use on your sprayer?  If you go up a couple of sizes it can help stop getting annoying little blockages.  Also descaling the sprayer helps, if you live in a hard water area.

JandS

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 05:56:24 pm »
I always add the hot water to the powder
what's the difference?
Put the powder in a 2 litre jug and pour hot
water on it from a 1 litre jug.
Pour it from jug to jug till well mixed.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Jim_77

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00:25 pm »
Depends on the powder, some dissolve more easily than others.  But adding water to powder makes it go gloopy first of all.

Doing it in such small volumes as you do John probably not much difference, but a bigger volume in a bucket it tends to stick all round the edge at the bottom.  Just makes it easier.

shine services

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 06:02:30 pm »
It tends to clump together if you add the water to the powder, by adding the powder to the water it disperses the powder better, thus dissovling it quicker/easier

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 06:09:05 pm »
I bet you make amazing custard Jim.

Jim_77

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 09:41:44 pm »
Yep, all you need is a tin opener.  Uncle Jim's, perfect every time ;D

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 09:48:41 pm »
No cartons down your way then?

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 09:59:49 pm »
Jim Billy reckons your a soup drinker but you know me not one for stiring :P :P ;D
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Jim_77

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 10:08:30 pm »
Pfff!  Cartons schmartons, it tastes disgusting out of them!  I like a nice metallic twang to my custard!

Steve Billy doesn't reckon I'm a drinker full stop.  The last time he saw me I stumbled off into the darkness after a jolly good night out and then missed most of the next day!!!