Joe H

Re: chip and pin terminals
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 06:02:23 pm »
Steve
What would you say is the ratio per month of customers using this system as opposed to cash/cheque/other???

Steve Gunn

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 06:11:03 pm »
Don't give the cheque option cash or card would say 40/60 split at the moment in favour of card,you go right up in their estimations too as no 2 bit cowboy.It also varies as well after pay day people pay cash then maybe middle of the month its all card payments

Joe H

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 06:27:04 pm »
Not a bad ratio, thanks for that.

What about the other Steve (Chapman) or anyone else using chip/pin - whats your ratio???

Steve Chapman

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 10:59:13 pm »
It's increasing all the time esp as it's been in the press about the demise of cheques recently,

I would say 1 in 3 customers pay by card now,  mostly as I push it quite a bit now, and to be honest anyone who can pay by cheque can normally use a debit card, you just have to remind them about it,

What is good is that it's the bigger payments that are normally by card, which is often a bit risky by cheque but very welcome by card as you know straight away that it's gone through, plus people do often opt to have a bit more done knowing they don't have to have the cash on them,

Regards

Steve

Adam P

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 12:33:26 am »
i find people who pay by cheque rarely tip, but those who pay by cash always tip or up it to the nearest 5 or 0. guess it's similar with cards? anyone know if it's possible to have the little message before putting pin to say would you like to add a tip? would be a good little earner if you can

garyj

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 12:58:39 am »
I think that looks cheeky and presumptive so I always enjoy pressing the no and don't leave a cash tip either when I might of done.

absolutecleaning

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 04:36:34 am »
I agree Gary - I think thats bad enough in a restaurant where tipping is the norm but to appear to expect it from a carpet cleaning customer would be bordering on rude.

Simon

Adam P

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 08:49:40 am »
yeah maybe you're right. if it's possible i might try it one day for a few days see if they do tip.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 09:01:33 am »
I think the Adelante system is a good idea but I'm just not sure people would use it as readily as they would a conventional mobile CC terminal simply because their card details are being entered into someone's phone and the security risks that spring to mind from that.

Simon

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 09:11:44 am »
yeah maybe you're right. if it's possible i might try it one day for a few days see if they do tip.

So how many days??????

Joe H

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 09:21:56 am »
I think the Adelante system is a good idea but I'm just not sure people would use it as readily as they would a conventional mobile CC terminal simply because their card details are being entered into someone's phone and the security risks that spring to mind from that.

Simon

Adelante do more then the mobile phone system, they do the carry a machine with you system as well.

Taking up your point Simon, everything is open t fiddle if one seriously wants to fiddle, but Steve Chapman is using the mobile phone system and finds a good take up already and growing.

And been said before on here, clients often trust us with their homes and they go off shopping or to work, much more valuable then a bit of chip and pin. They trust us to a greater or lesser degree - be foolish for any carpet cleaner to misplace that trust and nick something from the house. Just as foolish for one to to something bad with chip and pin.

derek west

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 10:05:17 am »
simon
read my earlier post, that is for chip and pin terminal from adalante, its what i'm going for.

£399 for a year all in apart from the 1.7% on cards and 27p on debits. includes merchant account, then its £25 a month after the 12 month period. bargain.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 07:13:11 pm »
Done four quite big jobs today, three paid by CC and when asked all three said they wouldn't have had I wanted to do it through my mobile phone.

Simon

Steve Chapman

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 10:10:14 pm »
I must be one of the lucky ones  ;D

Can't imagine I'm Adelante's only mobile customer though  ;)

Steve

clive ware

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 06:06:30 pm »
But Derek,
Isnt Richards a better deal? £28 pm =£336 and 21p for debit cards, 1.2 for cc`s.
That seems cheaper to me.

derek west

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »
But Derek,
Isnt Richards a better deal? £28 pm =£336 and 21p for debit cards, 1.2 for cc`s.
That seems cheaper to me.

yes it is  clive, its the 4 years i don't want, remember technology is changing fast. 1 year is a better option for me and richards company can't compete with adalante on a 1 year deal.

richy27

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2011, 06:14:01 pm »
long term my deal is cheaper but the deal derek found for a year period suits his needs  to be honest they are both good deals imo   . in my area adelante deal was a lot more money than dereks deal a lot depends on the area salesman. 

richy27

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 06:15:55 pm »
i find people who pay by cheque rarely tip, but those who pay by cash always tip or up it to the nearest 5 or 0. guess it's similar with cards? anyone know if it's possible to have the little message before putting pin to say would you like to add a tip? would be a good little earner if you can

asking for a tip is cheeky and something i would never dream of doing

richy27

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 06:23:54 pm »
as far as the mobile system phone thats is. would not work for me as my county is terrible for mbile sig  . so the terminals are the way for me as it works off a roaming sim from various networks and chooses the strongest sig.

from my research  most of the mobile phone systems are being used by home based business s who wish to process card payments on a very small percentage are used on the road.  this is an area of the market they are trying to increase but building clients customers confidence has been a problem not my words this was straight from adelante sales mans mouth.

most customers woulod like a printed slip from a machine for there transaction

Joe H

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2011, 06:27:25 pm »
Seems like a combination of mobile phone and chip machine is on its way.

Watching the tecno show on BBC this morning and they were showing a phone you just offer up to a chip machine and it reads card details automatically.

The phone store more then just a phone chip, it can store card details for Nectar and other store type card details.

Re using mobile phone to put in clients card details - a few years ago when I was building computers I used to go to a computer fair in Manchester and more then a few dealers I purchased stuff off took my card details and punched them into their mobile and bobs your auntie. Deal done