Steve Gunn

Home Made T/m
« on: December 14, 2010, 07:33:12 am »
Question for the likes of Mike Halliday can you post any pics or links to best way to do this?

Mike Halliday

Re: Home Made T/m
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:02:01 am »
just walking out the door so i'll answer more later with pictures.

i have the most simple, hottest, (powerfull??) truckmount in britain

I highlight simple becuase of everything this is the most important, and the key to simplicity is to make it moduler and buy each module ready made.

engine, direct coupled to a blower, thats all the engine does, turn the blower.

now the most contravercial bit.... use an electric pump & diesel hot box which meens you have to take a powercord from the house to the van, I have done this for 4years and it is no hassle at all i have never been stuck for power. or had a breakdown that could not be fixed on the job or i have not been able to finish the job

this is what makes it all so simple and controlable.

I have made totally independant T/m were the engine drives the blower, pump & creates the heat...... nothing but hassle

more later..
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

jsm

John Malone
JSM. Window & General Cleaning
(  North Wales  )
Giving homes a shine sicne 1989

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout

Buckland

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:45:57 am »
Interesting idea - you'd  want it to be a watercooled motor with an oversized electric fan though - you could use Nissan petrol forklift truck components

Couldnt do better than this for a pump NEW and yours for 395 squid- 1 day left as of 14/12/10 (not mine btw) although thinking about it I've got a good 3cp if you want one and a good Sutorbilt 3LP blower spare! :

anyway someone is offering this new CAT pump; not extra high pressure but plenty for carpets
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260705130576&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Buckland Carpet & Fabric Care :: 01590 688938
www.SteamCleanCarpetService.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:04:12 pm »
As a non TM user , but with a great interest in innovations and challenging the norm , there are a few requirements I would need to make me want to get a TM . ( I have dabbled in the past , and do not currently have the work in to justify one) .

I would get one on the principle of ,,build it and they- customers , will come.

I thin most off the shelf TMs are way too expensive for what they are and they have changed little from when they first came out, I guess there is not the $$$$ for R and D .

A few years ago I saw Micks early home made TM , I dont remember the details , but it was impressive.

I would want .

1, A water cooled engine , preferably diesel , or lpg powered , for the reliabilty and in the case of petrol , quietness, also red diesel or lpg for lower operating costs.

2,  A blower configured so that a waste tank is not needed , in the style of a prowler.
Potentially , no tanks at all would then be needed so long as a water source was on site.

3, Portability some components such as pumps ,and hot box and control panel could be neatly boxed/fitted in the van  allowing it to be used for other purposes once the engine/blower was lifted out, and/or  there would be space to fit other equipment in the van , or a smaller van could be used.

4, The modular idea which Mick uses , making maintenance  simple.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:24:45 pm »
I've bought all my bits off ebay.

paid £40 for my pump & motor

£350 for my engine.

£100 for 3 blowers

this video show some components around my workshop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSpxFPkZUJo

Steve what specifically do you want to know?

M.Acorn

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:55:17 pm »
Now that`s my kind of machinery !!
If only i had a workshop  :(
What goes around comes around

jasonl

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 04:17:55 pm »

£350 for my engine.

£100 for 3 blowers

Scratch my above post , those prices change everything  it would even be worth getting a fancy frame fabbed up to make it look pretty , have you not thought about building thenm up for people ?
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Steve Gunn

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 04:25:00 pm »

£350 for my engine.

£100 for 3 blowers

Will you build me one ??? ;D ;)

Where's the best place to get the components?
Basic layout ?
Petrol or diesel?

jasonl

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:26:55 pm »
Everyone who  has bought/sells TMs has just jumped under a bus ;D ;D
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

jon barnes

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 04:27:09 pm »
the principle alomost reminds me of the el diablo (mainly cos i cant think of any other hotbox tm) .would it not be simpler to run the electric pump off the engines battery? also if the engine is not running a heat exchanger could it use a smaller than usual sized engine to run a 56 blower?

M.Acorn

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 04:49:37 pm »
Same sort of thing as the Bane clean job,well that`s the closest match i have seen so far,really impressed.
Can`t take on any more projects until the roc is finished
What goes around comes around

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 05:04:02 pm »
its oK buying off ebay but it has taken me 6yrs to collect all the parts. you can get engines every week, if I was building one now and had plenty of cash I'd start with this engine plenty of power :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kubota-1-9-litre-diesel-engine-41-hp-31-0-kW-c-w-pump-/230563124075?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item35aea2136b

or build a monster with this :D :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diesel-Engine-2-5-BMC-Commander-Stationary-Engine-/260707025460?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item3cb3598234

pumps can be built from anywhere, but you can buy from any pressure washer company , they will also supply a hot box.

buy an engine, get a blower then go to an engineering company and get Them to mount both parts on a steel frame coupled with the fenner coupler I've shown on my video.

finding a blower will be hard

Dave_Lee

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 08:00:03 pm »
Question for the likes of Mike Halliday can you post any pics or links to best way to do this?

Whats up with the Prowler Steve?
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

jasonl

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 08:07:24 pm »
finding a blower will be hard

...Surely a TM supplier will carry them?
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:37 pm »
you can buy them new from root dresser in Heuddersfield I was talking about second hand, they are very expensive new

i bought a new 45 from Woodbridge 5yrs ago for £900

nevil

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 08:28:28 pm »
I have a blower going spare.  ;D Really I do. Sutorbuilt 3006 same as roots 36. Richie on the TMers forum has some too.

I don't have too much too contribute on this except when I built a TM the biggest problem I had was controlling the heat. I made a couple of heat exchangers that captured plenty of heat from the engine/blower. But the way we clean doesn't demand a steady flow of water so the machine produced spikes of heat.

It requires a pretty complexed control system to keep the heat stable throughout all water demand scenarios. I would think that with Mikes hot box, the TM wouldn't need this type of control system. As I am guessing the hot box would do that.  Although I don't know too much about them. In the end I got an old Spitfire 4.0 from HM. The idea was to strip the control gear from it and put it on my TM. That old 4.0 has been in my van ever since. I put the Kohler engine from the home made machine in. I enjoyed building it but what a waste of time and money.

peter maybury

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 10:04:24 pm »
I love tinkering and modifying things but at the end of the day you have to be realistic about things. A truck mount can earn a brilliant hourly return. Even if it took a year to build you could have earnt a lot of money in that time. I would love to have the time to make my own spec machine but quite simply I am too busy to even contemplate doing it. Saying that truckmounters are going to be pig sick that you can spend years building a truckmount for next to nothing is a bit of a silly thought.
We all want bigger and better machines in order to do better work quicker, but we will have to pay the money they cost because we can make more money as carpet cleaners than we could being engineers.
If I blow a head gasket or anything then I am equipped and capable of sorting it out myself just because of the cost of the work that I could lose or the cost of letting my customers down. I could not spend months trawling for parts or building a machine, as much as I would like to.

Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

nevil

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 10:35:29 pm »
Yeah Peter that's a nail on the head post. When I did it I was fairly new at this with lots of time on my hands. Although I'm still very much in business building mode, there is no way I could find the time to do that now. So naturaly it follows that the more established you become the harder it is to devote time to such a project.

Having said that, my background is in the workshop and still find something very therapeutic about getting my hands dirty. 

Rob_Mac

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:33:21 am »
Mike

I have been lazily looking into putting together a pressure washer with variable output that can be split to two operators.

Preferably diesel engined and I would like an output of up to 10000psi. Is this something that could be done and if so are you interested in it as a paying project??. Weight and size are certainly going to be the most important issues.

Rob ;D

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 08:43:42 am »
Mike

I have been lazily looking into putting together a pressure washer with variable output that can be split to two operators.

Preferably diesel engined and I would like an output of up to 10000psi. Is this something that could be done and if so are you interested in it as a paying project??. Weight and size are certainly going to be the most important issues.

Rob ;D

Rob, a farmer friend of mine built a 4 operator rig 4 years ago, he also sells
them through another company he part owns,  they get all their pumps from Italy.
His is 2500 with 25lts per min, also has heat.
The company he part owns is System Hydraulics Carlisle.
He uses his for cleaning 2 poultry farms, monthly.
Am sure with the right engine and pump it would be possible.
Andrew

Mike Halliday

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 03:13:20 pm »
Mike

Rob ;D

why 10,000psi on a 2 man unit? considering each man will need min 4gl/min this will mean a pump costing £4k and a diesel engine with min 55hp costing another £5k so £9k before you even start getting it mounted.

once you go above 300bar and 25lt/min the pumps go sky high in price

Steve Gunn

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 03:44:17 pm »
Now here's a machine that's not pretty but practical now something like that would do me but still seems over complicated

http://www.bluebaronmachines.com/introduction.html

derek west

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 03:48:01 pm »
here a pressure washer with 1000bar, and a snip at only £29k ;D
 http://www.malcleanse.co.uk/static/DIESEL_PRESSURE_WASHER_Guide

Mike Halliday

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 04:06:35 pm »
if you are starting from scratch then you will need 6 grand to build a machine with same specification as a 20-22 grand machine sold by the big manufacturers.

if you can weight and get the bits of ebay then you will get this down to 3.5-4 grand

if you look at the for sale section there is a hot box for sale at £450, he will probably take £400. this is the heat sorted straight away..... all you need now is a electric pump and the engine/blower.

JandS

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 04:42:26 pm »
American TM's look to be a lot cheaper than ours looking at the Bluebaron.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 05:04:44 pm »
I already have the hotbox, the requirement is for each operator to have 5000 psi. The 10000psi comes into its own when dealing with drain cleaning but I am not wanting to be operating all of the time at that psi but to have it available would be useful.

Why an electric pump. I would hope to have something self contained, if I went down this route.

On that spec can you tell me what size blower and if electric was not an option what pump (diesel) would you go for.

Rob ;D

jasonl

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 05:22:15 pm »
if you are starting from scratch then you will need 6 grand to build a machine with same specification as a 20-22 grand machine sold by the big manufacturers.

if you can weight and get the bits of ebay then you will get this down to 3.5-4 grand

if you look at the for sale section there is a hot box for sale at £450, he will probably take £400. this is the heat sorted straight away..... all you need now is a electric pump and the engine/blower.

What about the bit after the blower , vac relief box? tank for waste? Where can they be had from .

Brand new honda 15hp engines 1000

Do you use a flojet type pump ,? , will a 12v one have enough capacity for the flow/pressure needed , if not what pump is needed?
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

John Kelly

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 06:10:34 pm »
Engine say Honda 13 £800 + vat, Blower 36 £1000 + vat Pump 3000psi Hypro £400 + vat Hotbox £1000 + vat Frame to mount on ? Couplings/pulleys/belts £100 + vat Waste tank £800 + vat Fresh tank £144 + vat 12 volt pump £140 + vat hoses/bypasses etc ?
Thats well over 5k if buying new components. Not including fabrication of frame and fitting.

John Kelly

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 06:12:50 pm »
Think Gunny was smitten with Paul Kings beast of a machine. Have to say the thing is awesome. Not pretty but pretty awesome.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 06:40:51 pm »
Engine say Honda 13 £800 + vat, Blower 36 £1000 + vat Pump 3000psi Hypro £400 + vat Hotbox £1000 + vat Frame to mount on ? Couplings/pulleys/belts £100 + vat Waste tank £800 + vat Fresh tank £144 + vat 12 volt pump £140 + vat hoses/bypasses etc ?
Thats well over 5k if buying new components. Not including fabrication of frame and fitting.

this is why starting from scratch with your first T/m building your own is not a good idea.  if you are having to buy £800 waste tanks or most of this gumpth then it can get pricey but if you have these already and just need the T/m then it could be an option.

but to be honest if you need to ask how to do it then you don't have the knowledge to start it.

jasonl

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 06:47:13 pm »
As I read it , Mike pumps water from the fresh tank straight to the hot box , then onto the wand .

I always thought it an overcomplication to pump to the accumulator, so that the TM engine can then pump to the hx/ wand .

My plan is to mount an electric pump on the van wall , along with a hot box , then have the slideout engine /blower clamped to the van floor , fabrication/powder coating of frame is free if you know the right welder.
Just need the pump spec and to know about the bits after the blower.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

jasonl

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 07:01:02 pm »
Cheers mike , once I have funding I will get this built up .

My brother laughs when I ask if this can be done ,it is so simple , he  laughs even harder at the prices charged by the major manufacturers . He has built waterworks , across the world

http://www.wateronline.com/article.mvc/Aquionics-Announces-New-President-Oliver-0001?VNETCOOKIE=NO
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 07:12:42 pm »
Mike can you list all of the components needed and may be if you can take photos and post on here then people can may be have a go.

Personal I'd like just the vacuum system, nice big diesel engine with a nice big vac blower, with ater to go through it like a Prowler.

Shaun

John Kelly

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 07:16:59 pm »
Jason you'd be better off running a Hypro pump off the same shaft as the blower. This will draw straight off a water tank as long as its mounted low enough.

Steve Gunn

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 07:26:03 pm »

this is why starting from scratch with your first T/m building your own is not a good idea.  if you are having to buy £800 waste tanks or most of this gumpth then it can get pricey but if you have these already and just need the T/m then it could be an option.

but to be honest if you need to ask how to do it then you don't have the knowledge to start it.

Mike its not a case of don't have the knowledge I've stripped jaguars/daimlers down and fully re-built them in my time as a mechanic its mainly sourcing the components,I can fabricate the frame myself. Doing what you did with them prochems machines you bought for parts would be a good start for me sourcing old t/ms for parts but it would be much better if you just sold me yours and you built yourself another one ;)

Steve Gunn

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 07:28:58 pm »
Think Gunny was smitten with Paul Kings beast of a machine. Have to say the thing is awesome. Not pretty but pretty awesome.

Paul Kings machine is a beast its probably the most powerful t/m in the country

Mike Halliday

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 07:32:34 pm »
Mike can you list all of the components needed and may be if you can take photos and post on here then people can may be have a go.

Shaun

errr..... OK I'll cancel tomorrows jobs and spend the day taking photos and sat here listing component ;) ;)

Jason as John says you can direct feed the pump but it helps if the watertank is higher than the pump so gravity feed it into the pump, if you have a welder who will work cheap then you can get a plate made so the pump sits on the top but it needs to be adjustable so you can tighten the belt and correctly align the pullys

the biggest problem in self builds  is controlling the heat, it spikes as the burner kicks in but the thermostat doesn't kick in quick enough at the set temp.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 07:34:22 pm »

steve try and get Paul to post some pictures, I would love to see his machine

Steve Gunn

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 07:35:56 pm »

steve try and get Paul to post some pictures, I would love to see his machine

Will ring him tomorrow he's at the bairns concert tonight

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2010, 07:49:21 pm »
I meant as project over Xmas ;D

How did you get over the heat spikes with the burner?

Steve you could just buy a hot pressure washer and use that as a pump and heater with no need to manufacture just need to get it to pull from a water tank on it's own.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2010, 08:00:34 pm »
by pass into the fresh tank until the thermostat kicks in, then disconect the flow switch and have a second uploader after the burner so when you stop triggering the wand  it  diverts so much water back to the freshtank. this stops water sitting in a hot burner ( which will send the water temp through the rooffor 2-4seconds  when you trigger the wand again)

see its not as easy as it sounds building T/Ms ;)

John Kelly

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 08:29:36 pm »
Paul posted some photos when he first bought it here: http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=106150.0
He's now got it in a Sprinter.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2010, 09:25:36 pm »
John what ever happened to the cold water Prowler (no HX) designed for flood damage?

Shaun

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 10:26:37 pm »

John Kelly

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 10:35:21 pm »
Still made Shaun. Chem Dry up here have one. Its about 8k. They also use it for fire cleans using spinner tools.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 10:42:14 pm »
I thought it was just a blower and a water pump?

Shaun

John Kelly

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 11:05:59 pm »
Its a 20hp Kholer, 36 Blower, 2500psi pump with a clutch and also a seperate 2" 20 gallon a minute de-flooding pump. Its a bit of a beast and they love it.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 11:08:56 pm »
Nice, got a link to the pic?

Shaun

carpetdoctor

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 05:50:22 pm »
Hi,

I think the idea of building your own truckmount is a fantastic idea, I have a porty but am now considering buiding my own truck mount, can anyone recommend where to start.

E.g What parts will i need etc

I have some knowledge of engines.

email: lightbeamboy@yahoo.co.uk

thanks

Anthony Nicholson

Steve Gunn

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 07:13:17 pm »
The interest in this thread is amazing obviously a lot of people want a t/m and would build their own if they could

Mike Halliday

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2010, 07:26:23 pm »
Steve something to consider is using a insulated fresh water tank, I have a Bane tank which has a heating element fitted, I heated the water overnight then plugged it in at each job to keep the water hot. you can get pumps that will handle 85 degrees  this is a real easy way to have hot water without the hotbox or heat exchanger. then all you need is a pump and a blower

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2010, 07:37:07 pm »
Mike what heat do you set your hot box at? and what do suspect what temp you get at the wand?

My TM when full heated will say 230 infact sometimes 250 but at the wand I suspect far far less, just wondered if a hot box will retain hotter water? re your youtube video in the greasy restaurant.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2010, 07:49:32 pm »
I set it so I can't see the wand head for steam :D :D

a hotbox will heat 13lt of water to 117degrees  per minute  so it could run 3 wands at 100degress without any drop of temp

jasonl

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2010, 07:52:59 pm »
by pass into the fresh tank until the thermostat kicks in, then disconect the flow switch and have a second uploader after the burner so when you stop triggering the wand  it  diverts so much water back to the freshtank. this stops water sitting in a hot burner ( which will send the water temp through the rooffor 2-4seconds  when you trigger the wand again)

see its not as easy as it sounds building T/Ms ;)

I have got a theory to solve this .  

What do you think about having a recirculating  system involving  the usual supply fresh water hose going to the pump  and then onto the hot box , then to the wand , at the wand have a Y- piece  so that flow can go to the wand if the trigger is depressed , if the trigger is not depressed , water would flow down a return hose back into the fresh water tank , eventually on a big  job the hot box stat would cut out.

Can the dual pumps take heat through them?

I know there would be hose management issues and extra cost issues .

Jason you are suggesting what I said, I've put in bold our similar statements, but you have a point after a while the freshwater tank will heat up to a temp that is too hot for the pump but its very rare
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

jasonl

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2010, 07:55:04 pm »
Sorry Mike , just read some pumps can handle 85 degrees
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2010, 08:06:38 pm »
Seems over complicated, as I have read it Mike has the hot box firing all of the time and diverts some into the clean water tank to take the spikes out.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2010, 08:07:09 pm »
Jason I have changed your post by accident above, I pressed 'modify' instead of 'quote' so my answer is contained in your post!

jasonl

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2010, 08:19:25 pm »
So an uploader means a u-bend  in other words .

The chem dry machines had them years ago , right near the tool head you you always had instant heat.
Tis is just on a bigger scale
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2010, 08:22:50 pm »
an uploader is a spring mechanism that allow trapped pressure ( like when you stop pulling the  wand trigger, but the pump is still pumping) to flow into a second solution line and return to a holding tank or to the pump supply line.

it can also control psi, if the pump produces 3000psi it can send 2500psi back to the tank and only 500psi to the wand

jasonl

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2010, 08:29:10 pm »
Oh I see , seems over complicated to me , another expense and more moving parts to go wrong .
I am trying to go simple = easy to operate= cost effective.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

robert meldrum

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »
Like  "all electric " maybe..

PaulKing

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2010, 08:59:52 am »

Hey leave off she looks lovely to me ;-)
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 05:18:16 pm »
Interesting thread!

I've been saying to the guys in the window cleaning section who carry a big guttervac & a huge generator that an engine with a blower attached would be a much smaller, simpler & more powerful solution.

I've been looking on ebay for ages though & have yet to find a suitable blower cheap.