Jay Le Huray

under pricing mistakes
« on: May 02, 2021, 04:02:00 pm »
I was thinking earlier about any mistakes I've made when pricing up jobs, a few years ago I started jet washing as an add on.

Anyway, I priced up a job (£80) which I thought would only take a couple of hours tops, it was a patio plus a pathway,

What was supposed to be a couple of hours turned out to be 4 .5 hours, when I finished the job the husband came out and gave me £100 and told me to keep the change as it had taken so long, I'm now packing my gear in the van when the wife appears and gives me an extra £30, so in all a £50 tip which made me feel a bit better, suffice to say I learnt very quickly about pricing up jet washing jobs.

Has anyone else made a big co*k up when pricing a job and regretted it afterwards?

Smudger

Re: under pricing mistakes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 05:20:40 pm »
Thankfully - I never been too far out thats not to say a couple of jibs have been a bit "tight" - sometimes you run into unforeseen problems like really poor water flow that can add on time - with our trade its really only costs you time - unlike say a builder who may quote for work and underestimate the cost of materials

I don't like quoting for the brick paint removal as this is really tricky to judge weather the paint will come off quickly or not - I usually go for the biggest price as=nd see if we get it - everything else is pretty off pat now just by looking at a job I know within 10 mins how long it should take

be prepared for the onslaught about your rate tho.... ::)roll

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

tom20001

Re: under pricing mistakes
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 10:13:28 am »
I was thinking earlier about any mistakes I've made when pricing up jobs, a few years ago I started jet washing as an add on.

Anyway, I priced up a job (£80) which I thought would only take a couple of hours tops, it was a patio plus a pathway,

What was supposed to be a couple of hours turned out to be 4 .5 hours, when I finished the job the husband came out and gave me £100 and told me to keep the change as it had taken so long, I'm now packing my gear in the van when the wife appears and gives me an extra £30, so in all a £50 tip which made me feel a bit better, suffice to say I learnt very quickly about pricing up jet washing jobs.

Has anyone else made a big co*k up when pricing a job and regretted it afterwards?

At the start same as ,used to do it loads. Now generally once or twice a yr . Pressure washing ive found is the easiest to underprice so just stick to my rates now and they can take it or leave it. Only recently majorly underpriced a window cleaning job on a mansion in a very well to do area the taste in the mouth afterwards never gets nicer . About 30 windows and doors some quite big including bay windows and some double doors, 4 big roof lights and a double dormer all for €100 🙈