calmore

Wrinkled carpet
« on: May 13, 2007, 09:14:55 pm »
Quoted for a carpet a couple of days ago..it had a few wrinkles in it.

Customer asked why it was so..I replied that I thought it was probably down to poor fitting and hadn't been stretched tight enough when being laid. (It'd never been cleaned before and it had a synthetic backing.)

So...why the wrinkle in the carpet?
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

darrenlee

Re: Wrinkled carpet
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 12:48:41 am »
hi calmore

carpet as delamented (come away from its secondary backing)  unless customer noticed wrinkles after fitting or with in a very short time, i see a lot of this with cheaper carpets of 2 to 3 year old makes you think they make it to last that long

darren

calmore

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:22:41 pm »
So why would the two layers seperate? The customer assures me it's never, ever been cleaned. Is it purely down to being a cheap carpet or is it down to wear? (There is a little bit of pile wear in places)
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services

rms rubber

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:12:27 pm »
wrinkles are not  just cheep problem

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:31:38 pm »
As I know from an earlier error , over application of a solvent based stain guard could cause this without delaminating.

Delamination normally is caused by ageing, (over time the backing can break down) or by mechanical damage such as a chair with castors being used in the same place.
Why the pile wear?

regards
Eddie

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 01:34:39 pm »
chewing gum remover causes it too.

Derek

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 07:12:50 am »
Delamination may also be attributed to the breakdown of the latex holding the secondary backing onto the woven carpet.

I have seen on many occasions delamination taking place whilst the carpet is still on the roll prior to fitting.

Overwetting, age, pulling furniture about on a carpet, solvent abuse all as described in previous posts can all add to the problem

PaulKing

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 08:06:34 am »
I would'nt have told the customer that you though it was down to fitting unless you were 101% sure that it was, you are precived as a expret by the customer and having seen what can happen next i understand why shops/carpet fitters have such a low opion of carpet cleaners, and if you can work with them you always get more work.

the flip side is
Customer goes to place they bought the carpet and says Calmore came to clean my capet and he says " your fittings not very good" imediatly you get the shop and fitters back up ( you'll be as popular as flu with them) , promting coments such as " is he a carpet fitter" and you'l have put a idea in customer head that will take some shifting.

If i was unsure what the cause of the wrinkling was, or even if i had a good idea I would say

" i notice/yes you have wrinkles in your carpet, you may want to speak to the shop you bought it from and ask them what they think, if they would like to talk to me because i've seen it, hears my number" 

If the shop calls on the phone tell them  "I'm pretty sure it's delamination/floor boards/ wear area/ crop circles ect  but you it's your customer and i did want to upset them, so though you might want to check for yourselves and see if there anything you can do, give me a call if you need my help"

In a perfect world fitter or estimator goes out looks at it and say, yes the cleaner was right, we'lll get that sorted out for you, then you still get the job once that is done ( customer is not going anywhere else again your the guru of carpet now)

And hopefully the shop  are bright enough to realise they now has someone to clean carpet that they can trust to do a good job.

Mind you does'nt always work that way :)

True story.
one month ago fitter on a recomend from another fitter who i helped out last year, who in turn got us from a recomend from a shop he was working for, (long winded i know)

Rang me in desperation,apprentice had got blue gripper glue on a cream twist right in the middle, he been told by his fitter mate  "ring paul, but don't touch it yourself, you'll make a mess and he won't be able to do anything" which make my job easier.

I was'nt nearby but told him to murder his apprentice first but not near the carpet hide the body and i'd be there in a hour, then I skiped lunch and dove 20ish miles, and turned up spotter and pog in hand and hey presto! day and carpet saved, now he's telling customer when he's fitting lounges ( hey you can get your hallway freshend up, to match ect,)  they are the easiet jobs to book and do. Rember it's as it's one pro recomending another. Best recomend you can get, I had three biggys in first couple of weeks. 

p.s i was amazed that it came out as well!

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Michel Roberts

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 10:22:10 am »
Paul

By an amazing twist of fate it just so happens that I have a plastic bottle of blue glue in front of me as I read your post!

Thought you might be interested in the following

Stikatak Blue Glue product code S759
Contains Diphenylmethane-4'4-di-isocyanate
isocyanates

I Doubt if this means any more to you than it does to me so probebly not very usefull information.
Funny how things happen sometimes.

Michel

PaulKing

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 02:52:14 pm »
Diphenylmethane-4'4-di-isocyanate nice on toast with olive oil i hear.

Thats exactly the stuff, and bloody sticky stuff thats for sure. just a had a look at your website, you really are fitter by appointment however it does seam that your royals keep dying, nothng to do with the glue is it ?
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

calmore

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 05:44:57 pm »
Point taken Paul, but it was a very old carpet and most certainly had been poorly fitted, regardless of whether that was the root cause of the problem (Newspaper for underlay...)
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services