waynebarry

Over night cleaning.
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:35:19 pm »
hi folks

Have any of you done any upholstory cleaning overnight, if so do you charge more or keep you charge the same?
If you do increase what sort of percentage would you recommend?

Cheers Wayne

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Over night cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 03:47:34 pm »
It depends on how long the job is and how much you are getting in the first place and how much you want it.

Shaun

waynebarry

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:50:08 pm »
Hi Shawn, they want two block for 10 hours each? say 10pm to 8am.

Fran84

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:12:20 pm »
Surely you set the time taken for any cleaning ???

You're the professional and you should be telling them how long it will take. Not the opposite.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 05:03:52 pm »
Personally I don't find these jobs financially productive.
Let's say the job is Tuesday night. You would probably only do Tuesday morning in prep for the evening (half day lost), Wednesday morning sleep afternoon too knackered to do anything else (full day lost).
So you'll need to price it in order to make up for that lost work (or going by the above 2.5 x normal), unless ofcourse you've got a complete week of nights so can sort yourself out over the weekend.

waynebarry

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 05:34:45 pm »
Thanks for your re[plys - its for a development company who have been given a set amount of hours to us thats why I have no imput on the amont of hours I do.
Neil i will take your advice in mind when pricing as your proberly right i wont be up to much Thursday!

jasonl

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 05:38:29 pm »
I see this as a business opportunity , a chance to grow.

I  used to do cinemas at night , I hate working nights so I had employees do  the work which was generally less technical and less scope for property damage.

Using your equipment at night means many of your costs are already absorbed by your day work, its called "sweating your assets" and getting a greater return for your investments.

I theory you could charge LESS for night work in light of this , but I always charged the same as the daytime and used it as a selling point "no extra charge for out of hours"  

Of course it needs more effort getting van ready and chems mixed etc , plus an earlier start in the morning to set van up for the coming day , but its a great feeling earning in your sleep.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

waynebarry

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:57:16 pm »
Thanks for your reply Jason but working from 10pm until 8 I think ill need my bed not start again!lol

jasonl

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 06:01:32 pm »
No , I mean DONT WORK  nights get someone to do it for you! then you earn in your sleep.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

waynebarry

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:21:33 pm »
Helps if I ready it properly! lol T
Fotunatley I am the only one in our company that is trained on carpet & upholstory so while I sleep during Thursday my guys will be earning me money, weather permitting of course!!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:28:47 pm »
Myself and Jason did a night job last year 10-2 all I did was work my normal day had a nap after tea for 30 mins then loaded van did job then had a late start next day 9am, now I know that's different to your hours but you could

A. Get some extra help to speed up job but not profitability
B. if you are worried about losing work start on the morning before finish at dinner then work the evening and on the next day work afternoon.

Shaun