from edge2edge

Going back to a porty
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:02:55 am »
Just bit the bullet and bought a nearly new storm(used once so new as far as i can tell) and will have my steamway 9100lx taken out on thursday at mpms(hydramaster service centre oxford) .Its for logistical reasons really as the weight is too close to the limit(or over) on too many ocassions along with working mostly in Oxford which isnt exactly truckmount friendly.I have found 90 per cent of jobs(flats etc) i do with the thermadry anyway.I was just wondering if anyone else had gone from a truckmount to a storm or jag and how they found the difference etc...............All opinions appreciated...............Alan(swindon)

Barry Livingstone

Re: Going back to a porty
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:02:00 am »
OOOOOO Cat and pigeon comes to mind for this thread! Most Tmers use there porty more than they care to let on.
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

kerrpmiddleton

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 03:47:38 pm »
yep sold mine couple yrs ago , as in Edinburgh cant get parked , i had mine mainly for commercail work ,most building now dont even have windows that open ,whole range of reason, its porty or cimex ,one or the otheir ::)

Robin Ray

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:36:35 pm »
Wow..

First time I have ever heard of this!

How do you find the difference in performance Alan.

Richard Cole

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »
Are you thinking of doing the flats with the Storm or to continue using your thermodry, the reason I ask is that I have a Storm and a fine machine it is but I find it a bit on the heavy side to lug up stairs unless there are two of you. :)
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

from edge2edge

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 05:11:05 pm »
Richard I have a cfr  spotter with a proper cfr handtool attached so add the thermadry and flats can be done without the heavy lifting of the porty(thermadry aint light but manageable even by an old XXrt like me at55)....................Alan

*Hector*

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 05:19:24 pm »
Nice one Alan.... next step Rotary only and become LM only.  :o

.. much lighter  ;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Richard Cole

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 05:25:45 pm »
Thought I would mention it as I took mine up to a second floor flat once, had help on the way up, but had to get it down on my own, never again.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Storm though, had mine since March and it has been fantastic.  Previously had a Airflex Pro and a Scorpion both good machines but the Storm takes it to another level (if not up stairs ;D).

Oxford can be a nightmare in the traffic and with the cyclists though I live around 30 miles away and use to help run a charity based business through local businesses and was forever trying to work out if i'd got caught by the camera's for driving in the restricted area's.

Richard Cole

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:27:52 pm »
Hector I've just got a rotary to be able to offer L.M and to do those pesky flats ;D

Maybe you could hypnotise us all to give up our truck mounts and portie's ::)

*Hector*

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 05:31:59 pm »
Maybe you could hypnotise us all to give up our truck mounts and portie's

Why do you think Alan has got rid of his??

Simon is next  ;D ;D

Richard Cole

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:41:51 pm »
erm might have your work cut out there. ;D

*Hector*

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 05:48:00 pm »
You might think that I am \/

But I can be very persuasive.......

Len Gribble

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 06:25:25 pm »
We took a different approach we sold the porty and kept the TM unreachable area’s LM with the right cleaning agent
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

elliott cleaning

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 06:45:38 pm »
Sensible fellow, Len.
I work central London a fair proportion of the time and wouldn't dream of giving up the t/m.  Ok, it costs me a certain amount in parking fines - but that is worked into my pricing as is the congestion charges.  Like Len - if the t/m really can't reach - and that is rare - then Hectors L/M method comes into action. I just couldn't be ars'd to faff around with the logistics of a portable

Chris R

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 08:03:06 pm »
Alan,
Use the Storm van mounted.
Insulate a water tank, fill it with hot water at the start of the day and it will stay hot all day.
Use 2inch vac hose with the Storm, the difference on runs of 50ft or more is amazing. It will work well even on 150 ft of 2inch hose ( not like a TM but better than a ninja on 25ft).
Invest in some very heavy duty electric extension cables.

Great machine.

Regards

Chris
Staffordshire

Billy Russell

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 08:52:34 pm »
Alan,
Insulate a water tank, fill it with hot water at the start of the day and it will stay hot all day.
Use 2inch vac hose with the Storm, the difference on runs of 50ft or more is amazing. It will work well even on 150 ft of 2inch hose ( not like a TM but better than a ninja on 25ft).

Great machine.

Regards

Chris

If he did that he may as well of kept the tm  ;D

Richard Cole

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 08:52:34 pm »
Alan,

Great machine.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, where did you get the heavy duty electric cables and what spec are they, tried mine and it trips out after 5 min's.

Kev Loomes

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »

Ok, it costs me a certain amount in parking fines - but that is worked into my pricing as is the congestion charges. 

I dont know if its true or not but my brother who lives/works in London says that so long as you have something coming out of your van i.e. hoses/cables and its coned off, that traffic wardens cannot issue you a ticket as you are in your 'work place' and that there is no other way to complete the job. If they do you can challenge it in court and win - apparently.

He also said that traffic wardens should know this rule (some do so he says, some dont), and will allow you to get on with your work once reminded.

Dont quote me on it though  ;D

elliott cleaning

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 09:27:49 pm »
I won't quote you Kev ;) tried it once but lost the case and cost me more than the fine ::)
I use signs with 'Emergency Flood Work' on and it gets me through half of the time if I catch the warden at the time - but the rest of the time you just learn to live with it

Regards

Kev Loomes

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:32:05 pm »
Maybe he was talking bo**ocks then  ;D