M.Acorn

Re: Van mounted recovery tank ?
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 07:50:35 pm »
Getting some more input off the car forums of all places !!Plenty of clever engineers on there,that know a lot about airflow and stuff

My initial thoughts on the level switch are

The old style ball in cage assembly is normally situated inside the filter housing. This is so that it can get an accurate reading of said level. The filter cartridge smooths out turbulence and also converts suspended/atomised molecules of liquid back into the main body of liquid. The most accurate level reading will be within the cartridge assembly for that reason. Outside it will be more of a whirlwind. The entry design will have a lot to do with turbulence within the collector drum. I think the best shape would be a fatter band around the perimeter of tank where the high speed fluid enters. Id put the entry point hitting the fat band tangentially so that the incoming liquid spins around this band for almost a full turn of drum interior. Id blank off this ridge internally with a plate, sealed to the area above and below ridge, but open at the end just approaching entry point, and diffused downwards. This will setup your incoming 'stuff' in the way that you want it, and it will give it time to both order itself, and de-atomise. Its incoming swirl will mean it will also conform to the walls for as long as possible, and drop down to the bottom as velocity decreases. This will mean you will have a little as possible contacting the filter direct on.
Back to the new style float switch. As mentioned, this will have to be inside the filter cartridge for effective non turbulent measuring. This may lead to awkward servicing, or checking though. Perhaps if you were to place sensor in say a 3'' tube, and be able to insert it from the outside/top would be a better idea. The sensor could then be outside the filter housing and the pipe would stop turbulence locally and give you a more accurate reading.
You then have to decide the failure mode. This is a big one. If switch fails what happens? Does the motor assm suck in the water and possibly electrify the entire contents? Will the fan be in a separate compartment and be driven through watertight housings? Will the drum be metal or plastic?
Another thought depending hose length would be a shut off delay once level is reached. This would make sure full pipe line is evacuated of all debris/fluid before shutdown.

Whats wrong with the old style ball shut off? You could wire in a thermal fuse of some sort once the ball gets trapped and the fan loads up a little, if the exhaust air also cools motor you will see a dramatic temperature rise in the motor compartment almost instantly. The overload would need to be stronger than a 75% pipe end blockage of course. Hmmmmmm lots to think about......hows the drawing coming along?
What goes around comes around

jim mca

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 10:37:18 pm »
Mark way dont you just buy a second hand scorpion now the jags on the scene they be a few for sale
2 leads to the scorp and a gen for the pressure washer with 2 tanks autofill and dump or only 2k for a jag if your quick.

john martin

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 10:55:41 pm »
Haven't read all so im not sure what you plan exactly  .... but coincidently i'v just ordered 4 cheapo vacs  and some folded aluminium  ... plan is 4 vacs parallel to large van mount recovery tank ( or three and an active spare  ) or the option of 2 on 2 series .
and a pump 500psi or so ...and feed tank , all for about a grand i'd say ...
I'm no engineer but its worth a shot  :D 

John Kelly

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 05:46:02 am »
You need to be very careful with the size of your recovery tank. Anything much bigger than you get on a porty and the vacs will be using all their power just to pre-vacuum the tank.

Personally I'd be spending the effort on marketing my business which is the crux of the matter and then just buy whatever kit I needed to do the work.

wynne jones

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 04:26:35 pm »
You need to be very careful with the size of your recovery tank. Anything much bigger than you get on a porty and the vacs will be using all their power just to pre-vacuum the tank.

Personally I'd be spending the effort on marketing my business which is the crux of the matter and then just buy whatever kit I needed to do the work.

What John says about putting the time and money into marketing is right. With all the extra money you make you can go out and buy the best kit for the job and without the hassle.

Unfortunately the mentality of many carpet cleaners for some reason is spend a load of time faffing about trying to save a few quid instead of making a lot of money.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

M.Acorn

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 05:25:41 pm »
Just got back from the Cambs eve news and crier Ad power meeting !! Ok they are doing a discount at the moment First reduced price package = 21 grand,next package 14 grand ,nearly chocked on my coffee.
Get what your saying guy's but the time I have spent thinking about this has been free time,it's pretty quiet work wise,so yeah should be looking at marketing,my next marketing spend is getting my van sign written,then continue with my web site update.
I like tinkering with stuff,and building stuff,and I am reasonably mechanically and electrically astute  ,know loads of engineers ,have access to machinery,and all the stainless tube and sheet I want,might have to turn my welder into  a tig instead of a mig

john martin

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 06:08:35 pm »
Best of luck with your project Mark , looks like i'm committed to mine also . 

"You need to be very careful with the size of your recovery tank. Anything much bigger than you get on a porty and the vacs will be using all their power just to pre-vacuum the tank."

Yes , i mean just big enough not to have to empty during an average job or two , i have used this setup before and i like the convenience . The scorpion axillary tank works well at 40 gallon (50 inc porty tank ) . id say even this 27 gallon tank would be fine ... would have to inquire about its strength , not baffled although i cant really see it collapsing either .

http://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/flat_water_tanks/125_ltr_flat_water_tank

John Kelly

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 06:50:32 pm »
That tanks not suitable. Its the ones we sell and I've tried using them as waste tanks but they aren't strong enough. You really need something with cross bracing to prevent the sides pulling in.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2011, 06:57:40 pm »
Like everyone else is saying Mark, if your going to all that trouble just buy a truckmount. Plenty of power and heat from a Prowler and only new £7000. Which is about £2,500 more than a top end porty! I'd get one but i seem to  always do jobs where parking near by is an issue.

You've already got a van suitable for it.

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 07:05:57 pm »
There is a fantastic TM for sale in Andover with new heat exchanger and a spare, in a good quality van too, save yourself the time and effort and buy this one......

M.Acorn

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2011, 07:14:59 pm »
The Prowler is over 8 grand ! On the site,I must look at it once or twice a week

Mike Halliday

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 07:21:02 pm »
Ive just built a new pressure washer, it has a 18hp kohler engine belt driven to a Cat 660 pump 3000psi @ 10gl/min

here is a links to just the pump

http://www.bphpumps.com/11964/cat-660-15fr-ceramic-plunger-pump-.asp

I could have saved my time, bought it from a manufacturer and spent my time marketing ;) ;)

but a machine with the same spec would cost at least £2500 it cost me less than £800 and it is built with all S/S fitting and duel uploaders. the belt is rated 4 times higher than needed ( so will never fail) I have another 4 of these pumps which I can change in 10mins, I could change the engine in an hour.

this is why anyone who can do it should consider building them selves,
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

john martin

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 07:30:24 pm »
That tanks not suitable. Its the ones we sell and I've tried using them as waste tanks but they aren't strong enough. You really need something with cross bracing to prevent the sides pulling in.

Appreciate that reply John , saved me some hassle .  Do you have links to any small suitable ?  The scorpion aux isn't baffled but the shape must add strength , if it comes to it i will get an aluminium tank built .

M.Acorn

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 07:53:26 pm »
if it comes to it i will get an aluminium tank built .

Try a company called Alloy racing fabrications,he built me a fuel tank for my scirocco,to fit in the spare wheel well,cost me £180 though,has baffles in it too

Here,,,,,,,,,,http://www.alloyracingfabrications.com/

john martin

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 08:02:41 pm »
if it comes to it i will get an aluminium tank built .

Try a company called Alloy racing fabrications,he built me a fuel tank for my scirocco,to fit in the spare wheel well,cost me £180 though,has baffles in it too

Here,,,,,,,,,,http://www.alloyracingfabrications.com/

Thanks for that , looks like a good fabricator , Im in Dublin though but plenty available here . I see a 45 gallon baffled plastic on the tanks direct site and a boat waste tank that might suit .
spent ages looking for a bulkhead to 2" fitting ...and the're on that site .. so another problem solved . 

Glynn

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 08:13:50 pm »
You need a round tank with a domed lid to make it the easiest/strongest option.
Regards
Glynn

Matt Gibson

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2011, 08:25:46 pm »
Ive just built a new pressure washer, it has a 18hp kohler engine belt driven to a Cat 660 pump 3000psi @ 10gl/min

here is a links to just the pump

http://www.bphpumps.com/11964/cat-660-15fr-ceramic-plunger-pump-.asp

I could have saved my time, bought it from a manufacturer and spent my time marketing ;) ;)

but a machine with the same spec would cost at least £2500 it cost me less than £800 and it is built with all S/S fitting and duel uploaders. the belt is rated 4 times higher than needed ( so will never fail) I have another 4 of these pumps which I can change in 10mins, I could change the engine in an hour.

this is why anyone who can do it should consider building them selves,

The price on the pump in your link is nearly 3 grand, how did you build the whole set up for £800

Also, would you be interested in selling one of those extra pumps youve got?

john martin

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2011, 08:42:38 pm »
You need a round tank with a domed lid to make it the easiest/strongest option.
Round might be strong , but flat might be easier to fit the various inlet/outlet fitting to .
I like this one , i could easily get my hand in there to fit the waste gate , and in out connections 
http://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/200_litre_water_tanks/210_litre_water_tank_-_flat

Mike Halliday

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2011, 08:52:47 pm »
 Matt.

to be honest i can't say where I bought the pumps from but i got 5 for £350

but if you know where to look you can find bargains :D

http://www.anchorpumps.com/pump-shop/clearance-corner/cat-650-776-brass-15-frame-plunger-pump-new

this pump is the bargain of the century
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Matt Gibson

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2011, 09:07:48 pm »
Mike,

Mind if i send you an email some time? im in the market for replacing my pump from my vanmount pressure washer, but its the first real time ive had to deal with pumps/belt etc..

Cheers,

matt